Thread: \m/_ SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER _\m/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default \m/_ SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER _\m/

They're the hot new teen sensation sweeping the land with funky fresh beats you can really groove to. Tipper Gore and the PMRC want you to be aware that these lads use salty language.

Jeff Hanneman * Tom Araya * Kerry King * Dave Lombardo

LII * EIE

ILI * SLE

Lombardo - LII

Hanneman - ILI

Araya - EIE

King - SLE

In descending order these typings are most certain for King, Araya, Hanneman, and Lombardo. Hanneman and Araya collaborate often, King and Lombardo clash often, and in fact Lombardo is the only member to have left and rejoined the band. In the first video he also seems to be the odd man out, less comfortable in his skin and more distracted than the other members. Thoughts?

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

First things first - hell yeah for Slayer! South Of Heaven and Diabolus In Musica are probably my favorites of theirs, though they all rule differently...

Kerry King strikes me as SLE - I can't imagine anything other than a leading type to visually present themselves in such a bold and striking manner, and all signs point to over (he locked himself up in a hot uncomfortable room and avoided human contact just to get pissed off enough to write fitting lyrics to the God Hates Us All album), same with Negativist over Positivist (if the typings in the thread-starting post are all on, then all of the band are Negativists), and I can see a particular intensity out of him that I find pretty much exclusive in Beta quadra...

I'll get to the others later, I've got some thoughts, but I can't flesh them out at the moment... need sleep...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Awesome thread.
    u LIE.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    You have glass in your EII.
    That would make it pretty hard to SEE

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Alright, the Dave Lombardo interview at 1:37 to 1:48 points me in the direction of LII a lot, especially the "it's ergonomically correct - everything just flows" part... as does the part at 3:17... could that be SLE Kerry King supervising the dude? Dave looked a bit uncomfortable there...

Listening to him rip into these really odd fills that somehow work perfectly give me the impression of /, heavy on the (there were a lot of complaints about Paul Bostaph being too "stiff" - I liked the way things played out in Diabolus in Musica with him especially, but I can see why people might find Divine Intervention and God Hates Us All lacking, but I liked them)... there's a sense of "fun" in the drumming too (I actually laughed during the *crash!* *crash!* of the chorus and one of the tom fills )...
    Last edited by woofwoofl; 05-01-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    could that be SLE Kerry King supervising the dude? Dave looked a bit uncomfortable there...
    From wiki: 'Lombardo recorded drums on the Slayer albums South of Heaven (1988) and Seasons in the Abyss (1990), although in 1992, Lombardo left Slayer again due to conflicts with band members and his refusal to tour. He desired to witness the birth of his first child and gave the band members nine months notice of his wife's pregnancy and said he would be unable to tour in September. He received a phone call from Kerry King; "Dave, big shows comin' up in September..." and refused the offer, although the band members said it would be detrimental to their career if they did not. In a 1998 interview Lombardo stated; "I still hear shit. Even to this day I hear echoes of stuff Kerry says and Kerry was the only one I ever had a problem with...."'

In the first video I posted Lombardo really looks like he wants to be somewhere else, while the other three members appear relaxed and comfortable. Between that and his various departures from the band that tipped me off to his being the odd man. If Hannenman is ILI then he and Lombardo should be able to communicate reasonably well, though agreements may be a different manner. And while, if the other typings are correct, Araya-Hanneman and King-Lombardo are both +/- supervisory pairs, it seems that a physically intimidating/pushy King would be more jarring to an LII than the social outmaneuvering of an ILI by Araya. And in fact I read in a few places how Hanneman and Araya have formed a writing team and their output often crowds out King's contributions (Slayer writes songs specifically for each album by beginning with riffs/songs they like and then developing them to completion, instead of, say, writing 20 songs and picking the best to release only 12).

Something else that stands out in contrast to the other members is that Lombardo is less interested in or convincing at transgressive behavior, badassery, or shock for its own sake. This may indicate -PoLR.

Listening to him rip into these really odd fills that somehow work perfectly give me the impression of /, heavy on the (there were a lot of complaints about Paul Bostaph being too "stiff"
    That makes sense. Lombardo said in one of the videos that he's a jazz drummer in his own practice time, so he'd be focused more on improvisation and nuance there than in a death metal context (that jazz/metal fusion shows its fruits well in the rapid contrasts and oddball structures of Fantomas). Also, despite the force and stamina that Slayer's audio assault demands, I can attest from live shows that Lombardo is still very fluid and relaxed behind his kit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    From wiki: 'Lombardo recorded drums on the Slayer albums South of Heaven (1988) and Seasons in the Abyss (1990), although in 1992, Lombardo left Slayer again due to conflicts with band members and his refusal to tour. He desired to witness the birth of his first child and gave the band members nine months notice of his wife's pregnancy and said he would be unable to tour in September. He received a phone call from Kerry King; "Dave, big shows comin' up in September..." and refused the offer, although the band members said it would be detrimental to their career if they did not. In a 1998 interview Lombardo stated; "I still hear shit. Even to this day I hear echoes of stuff Kerry says and Kerry was the only one I ever had a problem with...."'
    Yep SLE supervision over an LII, especially in the context of something like Slayer, and with an SLE that much more imposing looking/sounding, could be absolutely hellish poor Dave...

In the first video I posted Lombardo really looks like he wants to be somewhere else, while the other three members appear relaxed and comfortable. Between that and his various departures from the band that tipped me off to his being the odd man.
    Another !

If Hannenman is ILI
    Let's compare Slayer songs (Bostaph-era to switch things up) and check this one out!

Music & Lyrics: Hanneman

Initiate blood purge
    Coalition in massacre
    Mechanized high tech
    Whole sale death in effect
    Mutually assured
    Destruction will occur
    Genocide revised
    Same pain through diverse eyes
    Can't stop the warring factions
    Hostile from the start
    Always war always
    Ending bitter peace
    Not the last third war
    Blood spills for evermore
    Patriot hard line
    Lay siege till the end of time
    No longer kill your brother
    Just slaughter one another
    Watch for the deadly other
    This sibling is a fucker
    Global tension starts aggression
    Peace breaks out then
    Breeds contempt unrest

(guitar lead: Hanneman/King)

Without a reason to fight
    A time to kill
    Sick lust for skeletal flesh
    A taste for all decay
    Enter the soldier blind
    Stalking the faceless hunt
    There is no conscience in this world
    That can be reached for peace
    Why face the human question
    The need to hate
    Dead stare through cynical eyes
    A trust in only pain
    Murder within the skin
    Engrave the art of war
    Become death's vile parade
    March on embrace the violent mind
    Global tension starts aggression
    Peace breaks out then
    Breeds contempt unrest
    One cryptic reason for life murder

Music & Lyrics: King

I'm suicidal, maniacal, self-destructive
    You leave me no hope, no life
    Nothing worth living for
    I've taken it, can't take it anymore
    My worst nightmare
    You make me want to slit my own fucking throat
    Just so I'll be rid of you
    Just to get rid of you

You self-righteous fuck
    Give me a reason not to rip your fucking face off
    Why don't you take a good look in these eyes
    Cause I'm the one that's gonna tear your fucking heart
    out
    My hate is contagious; you've got no one to run to
    EXILE

Just tell me fucking why everything becomes an issue
    Your opinion is always senseless - fuck this
    You make my fucking skin crawl
    I've lived with it - can't stand anymore
    My worst nightmare
    I want to take a bullet in the fucking head
    Every time I think of you, every time I think of you

You self-righteous fuck
    Give me a reason not to rip your fucking face off
    Why don't you take a good look in these eyes
    Cause I'm the one that's gonna tear your fucking heart
    out
    My hate is contagious
    Anyone else need to vent?
    You've tried my tolerance; I just want you to die

There's nothing more for me to say
    There's nothing more for you to say
    There's nothing more for us to say
    I fucking hate you anyway
    EXILE

Can't count the ways that you light my fuckin fuse
    I can't tolerate the sight of you, the thought of you or
    anything about you
    You know what I want to see?
    How many ways can a loser fucking lose
    I know you'll find a way
    The humility awakening the idiot inside
    You spineless fucking maggot - you're just wasting my
    time
    Get out of my face - Get out of my life
    Out of my fucking way - Just die

I noticed more focus in the Jeff Hanneman song (especially in the musical arrangement ), more focus in the Kerry King song (not-so-obvious thing I noticed - the lyrics start at 0:12 in the Kerry King song, as opposed to 1:53 in the Jeff Hanneman song), and Tom Araya connects with the music in a much more visceral way on the Kerry King song... a / connection perhaps? Holy damn

Another thing - if Jeff Hanneman is ILI (makes a ton of sense to me), and he had a huge hand in Diabolus in Musica, then with Lombardo gone and Paul Bostaph in (I found much less in him - the beginning of Bitter Peace sounds stiff and dead, and it works awesome ), Diabolus in Musica might be the furthest into Gamma quadra the band got...

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I know I said it before, but I gotta say it again - the difference in Tom Araya's delivery in those two songs you posted is unreal... he just flat-out rages through Point! removed from their context, I like Hanneman's lyrics (and musical arrangements) a lot more, but Kerry's words coming out of Tom is pure fire...

And hell yeah for Divine Intervention! here's another song Kerry King wrote all of, notice the lyrics starting at 0:04 also, in addition to the loads of , I think I can see some valuing in there too:

Music & Lyrics - King:

This fucking country's lost it's grip
    Sub-conscious hold begins to slip
    The scales of justice begin to tip

The legal system has no spine
    It's corroding from inside
    Slap your hand and you'll do no time

Reality on vacation
    All across a blinded nation
    Mentally under sedation

Anyone can be set free
    On a technicality
    Explain the law again to me

Here in 1994
    Things are different than before
    Violence is what we adore

Invitation to the game
    Guns and blades and media fame
    Every day more of the same

Murder, mayhem, anarchy
    Now are all done legally
    Mastermind your killing spree

Unafraid of punishment
    With a passive government
    There's nothing for you to regret

Nothing to regret

Unimposing policy
    No enforcing ministry
    Gaping with judicial flaws
    Watch a fading nation crawl

Clashing with the public's frame
    I'm the one that's place in fame
    Legislature sets the stage
    Social slaves caught in my rage
    Administrative anarchy there's nothing
    You can do to me
    The world around you is drifting to a
    Continental tomb you see
    Violence is my passion
    I will never be contained
    Living with aggression and it's
    Everlasting reign

Here's a Paul Bostaph interview - the talking really starts lots at 4:33:

I can't get too set in stone, but I pick up in the way he goes over the lineage of his (and others') influences, and the F seems more than (an "I like it" in reference to his drumming style, as opposed to "it's good", along with many other things he said)... I'm almost certain of him being an introverted Gamma, but I'm not quite sure exactly which one yet...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that all makes good sense. And here's Jeffy exemplifying some of the more popular negative ILI stereotypes:

And here they are without shades:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

04-30-2011:

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsy Knievel View Post
    In descending order these typings are most certain for King, Araya, Hanneman, and Lombardo. Hanneman and Araya collaborate often, King and Lombardo clash often, and in fact Lombardo is the only member to have left and rejoined the band. In the first video he also seems to be the odd man out, less comfortable in his skin and more distracted than the other members. Thoughts?
    02-21-2013:

Dave Lombardo: Out of Slayer Again

Statement From Dave Lombardo Regarding Slayer Australian Tour 2013

I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom [Araya] and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.

I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry [King] and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
    I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely,
    Dave Lombardo

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsy Knievel View Post
    04-30-2011:

02-21-2013:

Dave Lombardo: Out of Slayer Again

Statement From Dave Lombardo Regarding Slayer Australian Tour 2013

I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom [Araya] and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.

I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry [King] and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
    I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely,
    Dave Lombardo
    $layer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a press release from Slayer's lawyers:

"SLAYER confirms that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards Dave Lombardo's Facebook post, SLAYER does not agree with Mr. Lombardo's substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon. The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, SLAYER will not be commenting further. SLAYER is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows."

"Does not agree" yet does not refute either, before hiding behind a wall of obscure horseshit. Looks like damage control.

Araya is oddly quiet on all this and commentators are piling the bulk of the blame for Lombardo's ouster on King's shoulders. Hannemen is in no apparent rush to rejoin the band after being sidelined two years ago by a spider bite that resulted in necrotizing fasciitis and would seemingly rather tour with Ruyter Suys of Nashville Pussy than relieve Gary Holt from acting as his live show replacement. So with Hanneman (ILI) still benched and Lombardo (LII) strong-armed out of the Australian tour and probably the band by legal fuckery, only the beta extrovert half of the band remains.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Gamma tears 4 Jeff Hanneman.

RIP confirm.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged