Thread: ISTp Appreciation Thread

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp Appreciation Thread

I can't remember if there's been one of these before, and my initial search didn't turn up anything. So I'm creating a new one.

Anecdote:

I've been working on some designs. Most people, when I show it to them for feedback, say something like, "Oh, that looks nice!" Which is... flattering, yes, I guess -- but not really what I want. I want to make the designs better, not buid my ego.

I showed it to an ISTp and right away she started off with, "Can this part get squished up higher?" Then when I pointed her toward a general design element I was unsure of she gave a useful opinion on that, too. She warmed up to it then and gave a few more suggestions. Which is what I wanted.

So, yay for ISTps, who are fine with giving critical but useful feedback and don't worry about stopping to think about common flattery.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SLI 5w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yayy SLIs. I enjoy their simplicity.

also, I appreciate people who appreciate honest feedback. often I have to decide whether I should tell people my suggestions or just compliment them, as sometimes people seem rather offended or annoyed when I do the former.

maybe Fi types appreciate it more, considering the idea seems Te?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate how sophisticated and eccentric they can be. I know one who puts together all sorts of unusual media creations, like home-made instruments and cryptic videos, part of his Ne dual seeking at work. He has all these health foods and special beers and drinks he makes himself. He doesn't do anything out of pure labor, but he just goes for it, moves around and explores (has good logic in what makes sense to do, critiquing about useless activity). Has a great here-and-now awareness. He's one of the more spontaneous and energetic SLIs I know. Drums to let out energy, likes to stay fit and healthy. I'm often baffled by the kinds of things he's laughing about in the moment, where I'm already thinking ahead to some unrelated context. He often acts kind of crazy too , yells at animals, says kind of random poetic things, and makes different noises, etc you never know, and I love just being around him wondering what thing he's going to do next.

He is fairly reasonable and sober-minded, has that common sense about everything. Te-creative isn't too big of a problem for me, even though I don't notice it much. I have to kind of play along by laughing at what he finds dumb, or when he poses a curious question to me about something overly-simple, I tend to go off on some unrelated silly expression just because I don't know what else to do. It's like he wants me to see something for exactly what it is, and teach me in the ways of material appreciation. He likes to teach me about what he's been doing, or about some thing or place he's been to, that experiential sophistication of . I like that he gets into an interesting angle on certain specifics, as though there's always something real and contextual to what he's saying, not just a vague after-thought. He reads a lot just to understand people's thoughts and ideas, to get the history, doesn't really noticeably do much with them out of inspiration. I think that's the non-Ti/Fe-ness, the lack of passion for theoretical construct.

He is pretty simple and here-and-now in his methods, especially with something new. When I try to come up with interesting schemes, he'll often try to dumb them down and say 'let's just do it and see what happens,' or his catch-phrase is 'it has to look natural.' 'Too much.' We make a pretty good team though, he seems to be interested in what I have to say and looks into my interests and lighter prospects for himself, makes his own adaptations. One of my favorite and most fun relationships.

I call him SLI > LSE based on what I've observed from these types, and also based on our artless ease of relating. SLI is usually more observant but more light, careless and improvisational, if that makes sense. LSE has a stronger discipline and control. But I did wonder for a while if I am mistaking some LSEs for SLIs, and realized that's just how some of SLIs are, esp. since he is very intelligent so naturally has lots of wild idiosyncrasies.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I can't remember if there's been one of these before, and my initial search didn't turn up anything. So I'm creating a new one.

Anecdote:

I've been working on some designs. Most people, when I show it to them for feedback, say something like, "Oh, that looks nice!" Which is... flattering, yes, I guess -- but not really what I want. I want to make the designs better, not buid my ego.

I showed it to an ISTp and right away she started off with, "Can this part get squished up higher?" Then when I pointed her toward a general design element I was unsure of she gave a useful opinion on that, too. She warmed up to it then and gave a few more suggestions. Which is what I wanted.

So, yay for ISTps, who are fine with giving critical but useful feedback and don't worry about stopping to think about common flattery.
    Yup, that's me alright.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d1ffe7 View Post
    yayy SLIs. I enjoy their simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by d1ffe7 View Post
    simplicity
    I hear the words difficult and disagreeable quite more often, actually.

p.s. Not that simple men are easy to handle.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont have time to write more, but i just want to restate what people already are well aware of. I u SLIs.

I'll get into specifics another time.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Yup, that's me alright.
    Internet humor can be hard to decipher sometimes, so I have to ask -- Are you being sarcastic...?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet humor can be hard to decipher sometimes, so I have to ask -- Are you being sarcastic...?
    No. And you generally fail at reading me. Which is kinda funny, because I usually don't have that problem with EIIs here.
    Last edited by Park; 04-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No. And you generally fail at reading me. Which is kinda funny, because I usually don't have that problem with EIIs here.
    Must be completely different other quadra.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Must be completely different other quadra.
    What a knee-slapper.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. And you generally fail at reading me. Which is kinda funny, because I usually don't have that problem with EIIs here. Except for luaghlaugh maybe, but she reacts differently - maybe more similar to the way Alpha introverts (like Subterranean) would.
    sorry

For the record, I didn't think you were, but it was possible. So I asked.

Gah. I know I misinterpret sometimes, so I ask for clarification, which makes me look like I misinterpret even more, which makes me question myself more, which makes me ask more... It's a vicious cycle.

I still appreciate ISTps, though. And I still like you, even if I get things totally wrong.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they're okay I guess

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Constructivism is "drama that wants to be taken seriously". Delta Introverts are Constructivists.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

minde, you are so nice.

SLIs are pretty cool.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry
    No problem.

For the record, I didn't think you were, but it was possible. So I asked.
    I much prefer being asked over being taken wrong, so thank you for asking.
    And I still like you, even if I get things totally wrong.
    And for this, you get some more Ron Swanson.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ISTps are calm, intelligent, and easy to get along with.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I adore SLIs. I don't tell them that, though, 'cause I don't want it to go to their head.
    IEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

& are good

and nobody likes Fe

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to like them and more or less understand where they're coming from. There's a sense of familiarity and awkwardness at times.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.

They can seem pretty out of touch, which can be also like a safe or at least distant but cozy harbor.

I feel like sometimes I'm trying to take over the world a lot more compared to them, but we usually are both ok with that.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because my passport expires, I need one of those new, space-age, biometric passports with chips in them and all that. And I think I just met an ISTp at the Citizens Bureau. It was a large room in which were several desks and clerks to help the people coming in. While the others were more or less formally dressed, he just sat there in T-shirt and jeans. When we talked it was pretty funny because he told me a lot of stupid things people do with their passports or how they might get tricked by frauds. (They will also have certain online functions, that's why it's important to keep your security number to yourself.) All in all, he was very relaxed and didn't even want to see my birth certificate which would actually be necessary. At the end he said: "So yeah, I guess we're done. Oh wait, it's just 12, I need to work another 6 hours."
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to forward this to my meat-addicted SEI GF (who, btw, loves portobello mushrooms).
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an ISTP and I approve this thread

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We get it. You're a SLI.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IxTps: only people who listen to me go on and on and on about insignificant shit without interrupting.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wawa
    I u Reuben.
    Me too
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Me too
    You love yourself? that's nice...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Anon, uh ...when are you going to give us a proper reply to this thread?
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    So Anon, uh ...when are you going to give us a proper reply to this thread?
    Oh true i never did, did i...

ummmmm so listing off the top of my head things i like about SLIs in general:

--their level-headedness, often disregarding moments of emotional outbursts that i later regret having done but i feel relieved that it never really sunk in or affected them.

--their practicality and efficiency. They simplify my life immensely whenever i have the luck of working with them or learning how they do things. (LSEs too)

--their love of explaining things and teaching. (LSEs too)

--their perfectionism in their work. They aim for doing a high quality job just like I do (they just do it with a lot less mess and excess work that i end up creating for myself).

--their appreciation of relaxation, health, and nature.

--how they understand me and what i'm trying to say even when i jumble my thoughts and cant get the right words out or if i said something ambiguous.

--we just seem to think alike

--less need for conversation than with other types because it seems our body language communicates much more strongly with each other than with other types (perhaps because body language is more similar? dont know...)
    Last edited by Suz; 10-14-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post

--less need for conversation than with other types because it seems our body language communicates much more strongly with each other than with other types (perhaps because body language is more similar? dont know...)
    How do you reconcile this with long-distance / online communication?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Skype, webcams, cybersex...

just kidding, of course.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no the cybersex thing is real. Wawa is really good with it.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I don't. In my experience with SLIs so far, I've found that face time with them is essential if things are going to go anywhere...

Long-distance falls apart with them (even observing their relationships with other people from afar) unless it's a really REALLLY serious or long term relationship or friendship. Even then, they seem to make large efforts to visit in person with these old friends, which leads them to travel often (all 3 SLIs i know relatively well do this interestingly).

The one i'm interested in right now actually makes himself relatively inaccessible by facebook even, so that way of keeping in touch is out. And they all respond very sparingly to emails.

It's a fun challenge, getting to know SLIs...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no the cybersex thing is real. Wawa is really good with it.
    Excuse me?? i didn't realize i was involved in such an activity.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't. In my experience with SLIs so far, I've found that face time with them is essential if things are going to go anywhere...

Long-distance falls apart with them (even observing their relationships with other people from afar) unless it's a really REALLLY serious or long term relationship or friendship. Even then, they seem to make large efforts to visit in person with these old friends, which leads them to travel often (all 3 SLIs i know relatively well do this interestingly).

The one i'm interested in right now actually makes himself relatively inaccessible by facebook even, so that way of keeping in touch is out. And they all respond very sparingly to emails.

It's a fun challenge, getting to know SLIs...
    You know you kind of described me. I'm bad with long distance anything, my online social networking is pretty much neglected, but I have an impetuous drive to see people that are important to me(rarely does it manifest though) and I hugely would rather do(and have no problem with) in-person communication.

I think long distance / online stifles relations for anyone, but I guess some types can do worse than others with the lack of physical presence. There are certain aspects you aren't able to access and take advantage of.

Skype, webcams, cybersex...

just kidding, of course.
    Hah, I forgot about those options for a second.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me?? i didn't realize i was involved in such an activity.
    I was pulling your furry bunny leg, silly.

I suppose you're not interested in me at all
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pulling your furry bunny leg, silly.

I suppose you're not interested in me at all
    Aww Reubs, u know you're my friend!!!

And shut up you KNOW who i'm interested in these days...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know you kind of described me. I'm bad with long distance anything, my online social networking is pretty much neglected, but I have an impetuous drive to see people that are important to me(rarely does it manifest though) and I hugely would rather do(and have no problem with) in-person communication.

I think long distance / online stifles relations for anyone, but I guess some types can do worse than others with the lack of physical presence. There are certain aspects you aren't able to access and take advantage of.

Hah, I forgot about those options for a second.
    Interesting. I think it might be an Fe-POLR/Fi-HA thing. I have noticed that SLIs have a harder time gauging tone via written form, and thus tend to assume the most "chill" tone from whomever is writing. So if i'm upset, they wont realize it (Fe-POLR) unless i actually flat out state that something was hurtful to me. At which point (if they didn't want me to be hurt) they will scramble to reassure, reconcile, etc (Fi-HA). In person, they can tell a little bit better when i'm upset, from body language perhaps...

Re: online social networking applications, even though they are somewhat sparing about their contributions, INTERESTINGLY all 3 SLIs have like 2-4 times as many fb friends as me. One has 500, one has 800, and one has 900 friends ! I suspect this also reflects Fi-HA, as they are somewhat unselective about it and they want to be friends with people.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And shut up you KNOW who i'm interested in these days...
    Oh, I'm interested in him too. Let's see who gets him first
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What's not to love?

A story from real life of male GABIN: "I was studying in medical school, and one girl seemed very attractive to me. And I walked around and looked at her, and for entire 6 years I continued liking her. And the next 2 years of residency as well. Then I finished with school. After some time I called her and asked her to marry me. She agreed. Thus we became married."
    (http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...STp-by-Beskova)

Oh, and Park.png

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast