Thread: Edward O Wilson

Restricted user
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edward O. Wilson

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 02:35 AM.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Ni over Te subtype? I'm just curious what you think the diffs are.

He reminds me quite a bit of my mother--his facial expressions, the way he moves his mouth, how he holds his head, and the way he enunciates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of E.O Wilson, and agree he's ILI (I don't have an opinion on subtype).

Wilson recently backed away from his former stance that kin selection is wholly responsible for eusocial interaction. He is now of the opinion that natural selection can operate at the level of the group (as opposed to the level of the individual--which logically necessitates kin selection in cases of eursociality). Wilson had played an instrumental role in developing the theory of kin selection, and many of his peers have been highly critical of his sudden reversal (Dawkins, and ILE, is a notable example). I, for one, applaud his commitment to advancing our understanding of the world as it is rather than as theory would dictate it ought to be. Many of those who are dogging his change in stance would rather rest on their laurels than to contribute anything of value. His new theory of group selection strikes me as highly representative of strong Ni/Te.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...on-challenged/

Restricted user
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-25-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the sounds of it, the new theory doesn't overturn kin selection, but rather incorporates it as one factor among a multivariate complex of influences, which includes but is not limited to genetic proximity. I don't see anything incredibly objectionable about that, and it parallels much of what he's already said about the selective advantages of religion and so forth.
    That's right, it doesn't overturn kin selection per se. However, Wilson's insistence that group selection is in many cases a superior means of explaining complex cooperative behavior runs counter to the establishment view that kin selection is the ONLY viable explanation for the phenomenon.

How/why?
    I was afraid you'd ask that question. I always find it difficult to express why or how something strikes me as representative of a particular component of IM.

I suppose the notion of group selection seems to me particularly Ni insofar as it effectively amounts to an parsimonious way of ascribing holistic meaning/purpose to the dynamic interplay of objects (i.e. what's going on beneath the surface of things -- internal dynamics of fields). Looking at individual organisms and their unique roles/influences (Te) within a colony/social-organization as subsets of some greater purpose/organization (he compares worker ants to white blood cells, subsets of a larger whole, unselfishly self sacrificing for benefit of the superset) just seems to me like a very Ni/Te way of thinking.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ENFJ(?)
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    ENFJ(?)
    Don't think so. I could believe Ni creative, but I'm not seeing much Fe. Also, he seems Te/Fi valuing to me. What makes you say ENFj?

Restricted user
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    I was afraid you'd ask that question. I always find it difficult to express why or how something strikes me as representative of a particular component of IM.

I suppose the notion of group selection seems to me particularly Ni insofar as it effectively amounts to an parsimonious way of ascribing holistic meaning/purpose to the dynamic interplay of objects (i.e. what's going on beneath the surface of things -- internal dynamics of fields). Looking at individual organisms and their unique roles/influences (Te) within a colony/social-organization as subsets of some greater purpose/organization (he compares worker ants to white blood cells, subsets of a larger whole, unselfishly self sacrificing for benefit of the superset) just seems to me like a very Ni/Te way of thinking.
    This explanation makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What makes you say ENFj?
    I use image method, - type people by intuitive impressions from their nonverbal behavior
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    What makes you say ENFj?
    I use image method, - type people by intuitive impressions from their nonverbal behavior
    I think many of us use this "image method" as well, but intuition is something that has to be refined. Very little about him suggests ENFj to me. I don't get the sense that he's painting his ideas on us with broad strokes of pathos the way ENFjs do. I do get the sense that he's conveying his thoughts with some conviction, but that is no indication of any particular type. My intuition suggests INTx, and the way he seems to be coming from in his arguments suggests Ni dominance over Ne to me.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this guy.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SLI sp/so

His approach to his work is illustrative of Vortical-Synergetical way of thinking.

Interviewer: You do mention in part of your book about the part of creativity is to do sort of the back-of-the-napkin sort of experiment. You just have an idea, you're not going to even make notes about it, you're not going to keep track of it, you're just going to try something.

Edward Wilson: Yeah, glad you brought that up, Ira. I didn't use the expression, but I'm in it, and that's the value of dirty experiments. The image of doing good science, that is the popular, the public image, is the scientist conducting careful experiment after careful experiment, taking abundant notes - time of day, every condition used and making an advance into a subject.

But the best way to do it is - to make discoveries - is to make short imperfect experiments. Don't worry about taking notes, in most cases, but just try things out. Shove nature around a little bit. Disturb it. Disturb an organism, disturb a small system and find out - to see if anything happens. And if it does, you might be on the edge of an important breakthrough, and then you sit down and devise experiments and take notes. (link)

That's a far stratch from the careful planning of methods and prescience of ILIs. Dude's like the anti-ILI. In the interviews he seemed to be always looping back in his statements, which is typical of Result/Involutionary types. Just a very bright SLI.
    Last edited by silke; 12-10-2014 at 01:47 AM.