Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Failure tolerance

I'm thinking it's the main factor driving dimensionality and function strength. Strong functions have low failure tolerance, while weak functions have high tolerance.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see that.

My ILI gets so upset with himself whenever he fails to see something bad coming, or makes a mistake when he "should have known better." I tell him to blame it on being Si-Role, and being required to focus so much on physical details and physical needs. In other words, when he is "Ni-deprived," that is when he fails to foresee pitfalls and makes his biggest mistakes.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    I'm thinking it's the main factor driving dimensionality and function strength. Strong functions have low failure tolerance, while weak functions have high tolerance.
    If pianosinger is describing the right thing, then I think that the low failure tolerance is the effect rather than the cause. But it could be that we're misunderstanding you.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gunlenko says that vortical-synergistic types are the most resilient in the face of failure. (result-positive) Seems to agree with my observations. I generally don't mind failure in any shape or form, unless either I end up crippled for life (hasn't happened so far), or I lose a lot of money (I did lose money but not a lot). Notice that this attitude can be highly dangerous, since our lives are finite, thus failing aways carries a big price, namely all the time spent towards a goal which ends up being worthless.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Snaps

Read "Go for No!" I like to fail.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Failure = learning : ILE, SLE, LIE, LSE

Rest of the field: never lose because never try
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    If pianosinger is describing the right thing, then I think that the low failure tolerance is the effect rather than the cause.
    I think so too, and I don't think it's specific to socionics. It's just expectation related. Like, if you're a professional tennis player and you miss an easy shot, you're going to be more pissed off than if you know you're a crappy player. Same for if you think you're good at (function) and you accidentally suck at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

Creepy-male

I would have thought the exact opposite, that failure's are harder to tolerate in one's weakness as it reminds oneself of their vulnerability.

Where as what your saying is that failure's in one's strengths are harder because its a matter of pride.

But to me failures in my strengths are taken seriously, as I have many great successes in my strengths which ultimately swing the scale towards being able to tolerate small set backs, and that toleration allows me to focus on improvement in that area.

In my weaknesses I do not have that tolerance as I do not have that foundation of confidence and a small set back is more dramatic, it makes it harder to remain calm and focus on improvement, it feels hopeless "Why try, I'll never be good at this".

Ultimately to me I reconcile this by investing my energy from my strength into my weaknesses.... just like in warfare, you want to play to your strengths intelligent to conceal or compensate for your weaknesses.... you want to work with what you have until you can acquire more. I think everyone starts off shitty and innocent in everything, in adolesence they develop one half set of strengths and another half set of weakness and throughout adulthood one learns how to play this half set of strengths against reality in order to protect their weaker half. Success means achieving old age with a calm sense of psychological reconciliation, call it wisdom... failure means achieving old age with an overwhelming sense of regret and bitterness. Although its not so much about the arrival at those two diverging destinations but the path towards them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well failure can be interpreted in many ways, but the way you've used it implies there's a directed priority. The unconscious functions are not directed, they're passive recipients of information. The DS function is just an information dump. But the dump is still organized. It's not completely chaotic.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I can see that.

My ILI gets so upset with himself whenever he fails to see something bad coming, or makes a mistake when he "should have known better." I tell him to blame it on being Si-Role, and being required to focus so much on physical details and physical needs. In other words, when he is "Ni-deprived," that is when he fails to foresee pitfalls and makes his biggest mistakes.
    I sort of relate to that because I feel like "productivity" or achieving things is my power-station, and if I fall at that I fail at life.

Sucking at relationships or feelings is like, well, I tried my best but I know that's not my thing.

......... so to say.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see failure as the governing principle which joins socionics types to Mitchell's types.

When we fail, it's because we failed to account for all factors, usually. A failure beyond our control is blameless, and a source of personal strength in the face of criticism.

Failing to account for a factor is usually due to arrogance, a state of failing to observe negatives, particularly on account of assuming things are better than we think they are. However, we can also take an overly pessimistic view of things as well, which can inhibit our drive to improve the situation.