Thread: Quadras and Rationality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quadras and Rationality

It seems that the quadra dichotomies, merry/serious and judicious decisive, already look a lot like rationality. What, specifically, does j/p describe that is independent of quadra?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post
    It seems that the quadra dichotomies, merry/serious and judicious decisive, already look a lot like rationality. What, specifically, does j/p describe that is independent of quadra?
    Ultimately, it describes the orientation of the base function (Ethics- or Logic-base as Rational, Sensing- or Intuition-base as Irrational). Also, I don't bother with Reinin, but I'm pretty sure Merry/Serious is split across / lines, not rational/irrational.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how they're split up, and which types fall under which categories, I'm wondering about the actual behavioral differences between these types. It seems like the behavior associated with, say, judicious/decisive looks very similar to that of rationality/irrationality. How does a decisive irrational behave compared to a judicious rational? How about a merry rational compared to a serious irrational? That sort of thing.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how they're split up, and which types fall under which categories, I'm wondering about the actual behavioral differences between these types. It seems like the behavior associated with, say, judicious/decisive looks very similar to that of rationality/irrationality. How does a decisive irrational behave compared to a judicious rational? How about a merry rational compared to a serious irrational? That sort of thing.
    Alright. With Merry-j vs Serious-p, you're looking at LxI and ExE vs xEE and xLI. Reading up on those types should help.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the confusion regarding planning? That's more of an MBTI "J" thing. In general rationality is not about planning per se, it's more about having a set way of doing things or wanting certainty/clear-cut expectations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But would, for instance, an EIE want more clear-cut expectations or set ways of doing things than an SLI? I almost thought of that as more a Merry/Serious thing.

Merry -- Adaptable actions & expectations
    Ti: I'll figure out what I need to do based on my understanding of the situation in question, regardless of whether I already know a functional procedure.
    Fe: I prefer to act according to my emotional state and those of others around me, most of which are fairly variable.

Serious -- Reliable actions & expectations
    Te: If I already have a procedure that works, I'll use that rather than puzzling out a new one.
    Fi: I prefer to act according to my relationships with and loyalties to those around me, which tend to remain relatively stable barring major crises.

Obviously this isn't the only Merry/Serious trait, but it seems like one.

Creepy-male

Base Fe is more about controlling your own emotions, and those of others.

J/P is "shape and civilise the world" versus "go with the flow". This is one very important reason why ESEs strongly reflect the values of whichever community defines them, whereas SEIs are basically social dropouts and make their own unique culture for themselves, for instance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think what I was doing here was getting confused about j/p in considering ILE vs. LII, but after looking into more Reinins, it seems the p-ish traits I was considering would be better described by being a involution & strategic type. (The "flexible methods" part of the "flexible methods, stable goals" aspect of strategic types looked exceedingly similar to some irrational descriptions. But, yeah, it's just the methods, not the goals.)