Thread: Masculism/gender equality

Creepy-male

Default Masculism/gender equality

This is something I'm beginning to get interested in. Social biases against men are, I assume, not a thing a lot of people really think about, they're kind of taken for granted, or just not widely known due to not having much attention drawn to them in the first place.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. What do you think about gender inequality, especially bias and discrimination against men; and positive discrimination for women?

This is aimed esp. @ the Deltas, but of course everyone is welcome to chip in.

EDIT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculi...ulist_concerns

If you're interested in reading.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm, unjust gender bias is bad, unjust gender discrimination is bad, etc etc.
    Actually UCSB just had a Men's Issues week these last few days where they had panels that talked about discrimination against men. I only went to one of the events (it wasn't very good), so I don't really know what all was talked about.

Why do you address this to Deltas in specific?

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My condolences. It sucks being white, too, cuz you have to worry about your 401k and stuff.

In all seriousness, though, some of these concerns are quite legitimate (like child custody). I would just have to echo Galen in saying that unjust discrimination is bad. I'm not sure what else to say, or what you're looking for.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By Delta, I guess the focus is on NF males and ST females and their Aristocracy.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    By Delta, I guess the focus is on NF males and ST females and their Aristocracy.
    Humor, right?

No, I just figured Delta would be most likely to have formed opinions on this, being the social critic quadra as they are.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a rule of thumb most don't register on my radar; I generally consider that the price of being at the top of the heap. A few such as child custody, and child/spousal support concern me, however.

I will definitely be signing a prenup if I ever decide to marry.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Humor, right?

No, I just figured Delta would be most likely to have formed opinions on this, being the social critic quadra as they are.
    Actually, what he's saying is a legitimate thing to wonder. NF males being stereotypically more feminine, and ST women being more masculine. It makes sense, really, especially since irl I've seen that play out.

In any case, I'm all for equality. I do think that women are not yet equals with men yet in some aspects. I've also seen this in the engineering field, where men who in trying to "help" the cause for women end up being condescending about it (without realizing it perhaps). I recently was in an engineering discussion, and when the only woman there pointed something out that was just wrong/unrelated to what we were talking about, instead of engaging her and pointing out the flaw, the professor just nodded and kept silent.

EDIT: I just realized that you were focusing on discrimination against men. I'll get back to it later.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Humor, right?

lol, I must be in the wrong place then