Thread: "At Work" personalities

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "At Work" personalities

I've often heard that when typing ourselves or others, it's wise not to take our 'at work' personalities into consideration and I'm wondering the reasoning behind this and if people agree that it shouldn't come into play when typing. Is it because we all have to act a certain way at work that isn't necessarily true to type?... wouldn't your type still carry over...social mask or not?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I've often heard that when typing ourselves or others, it's wise not to take our 'at work' personalities into consideration and I'm wondering the reasoning behind this and if people agree that it shouldn't come into play when typing. Is it because we all have to act a certain way at work that isn't necessarily true to type?... wouldn't your type still carry over...social mask or not?
    Maybe it's true if people conform and/or push themselves out of their comfort zone (for the sake of survival or what have you). The reason why I have a poor work history (i.e. frequent quitting, for one.. and ultimately, desiring self-employment) is because I can't do that. I insist on some autonomy and creativity, and remain myself more often in workplaces or seek employment with that in mind. It doesn't change my personality very much.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i become a lot more like an ESTj when working.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't become anything aside from more hardworking when I actually care about my job. For example, I got in trouble recently for being lazy because I hate my job and I'm sure everyone thinks I AM lazy but had they seen me at my other job, it would've been a completely different view. I was the top worker in the entire office at a previous job because I actually cared.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i'm not that much different at work except that i pretend to be more interested in the people and expectations around me and i censor myself a bit. why are we not supposed to consider our personalities at work? i figured how i am in work situations was relevant because of intertype relations and the fact that work is a major source of human interaction. idk, because of intertypes i largely took into consideration how i am seen by others, which is as a "nice" and restrained person, which is not inaccurate but not all-encompassing...but if this isn't accounted for, then how to explain why we are drawn to relationships with certain types over others? nearly all interactions are pretty surface at first so i would think our surface would matter. this is something i've wondered about, though, if my surface personality should be disregarded. maybe it should? when i tried to find my type purely by introspection i could see myself in several types. maybe a 9 thing.

i am curious about the social mask question. i would think our cognitive preferences would show regardless of whatever mask we're wearing. i'd be interested if anyone feels like exploring this.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think work personas are necessary a bad thing for typing, but there is a good deal of self editing I think the more professional a setting you get into. That's actually one reason I disliked office work (at a bank). Everyone was expected to behave appropriately at all times. Which basically means being polite on the face of things and then talking behind their back to vent. Any job, career, or workplace that has more rigid, visible codes of acceptable conduct will probably tend to obscure most people's natural tendencies.

Where I currently work (in a warehouse, mostly young and mostly male employees) is more like a zoo than anything else. Swearing, yelling, emoting, and even singing happen as often as the desire to do so hits. It's a more or less free arena of expression. Places like this I think allows people to be themselves without worrying about much of anything.

As for myself, I tend to work harder than just about anyone else I work with. Granted, it's a physical job, and I love it. Kind of like Jessica if I don't like my job I don't put hardly any effort into it. That and I tend to zone out thinking about stuff and generally avoid any extra work I can maneuver out of. In any sort of professional setting, I also keep to myself a lot since serious conversation is always about work and not so serious ones are frowned upon. Maybe I'm overdoing it a bit, but professional = stuffy in my mind.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm not even sure a social mask really exists. People like to think that people are somehow acting 'fake' when they're around others, but they're probably just being themselves. A lot of people aren't very aware of how aggressive or passive they're coming across though.

People were still able to understand me well in work environments. "Oh Sam, you sound like a person who has a big heart and loves video games." And yeah they're right. =p I mean I don't even think people *can* hide who they are. Insight is an incredibly powerful thing.

I was the top worker in the entire office at a previous job because I actually cared.
    It's useless to me to perform any job that isn't meaningful to somebody personally, but my esfj mom is the opposite and can do ANY job without bitching about it...(I mean she'll still bitch but never about that, mostly about Ni polr and Fi-valuing stuff) It kinda makes you envious. She doesn't need to have it reflect her inner life like some artistic fag and whatnot. She can just pull up her bootstraps and do the fucking job and enjoy it, cause it's a job. Weirdo. =/

"Sam get out there and get a job, ya fag."

"But all systems are fake to me, and I don't wanna scoop shit up to get money, it doesn't feel worth it to me. I need a lot of meaning in my life, I'm an IEI."

"Omg that's sooo weird. just be a man and shovel up shit. see it's soooo easy I'm shoveling shit for $50 an hour. This is honest hard work!"

"...this is pointless. It doesn't matter that I'm being slightly rewarded for this, I don't find any personal satisfaction. =/"

"omg something is so wrong with you"

"Oh my god no it isn't, I just need something with a lot of meaning and that I create myself."

"IT'S JUST A JOB DO THE JOB."

"NO. And I don't care about money I never did. I'm not motivated by it, I'm just not."

"Omg you're not normal."

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly my "social role" at work is the only one that doesn't confuse me. Often I get all confused about acting differently in different situations, but at work I just have my "professionalism" air that I try to maintain, so perhaps it's somehow less personal even though I don't always pull it off. I don't see it as disingenuous either. And any problems with co-workers or something happens beneath it on the personal level so I would see it as relevant to type, although it doesn't help me be any less confused about my type even though I have clear ideas about the types of my co-workers. They fall into three separate quadras and somehow I don't feel I fit in any of their quadras but never mind that.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't change much when I'm working. I talk less, because I have to complete tasks. Other than that....
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think my personality changes one bit; I am more 'collegial', but that's an artifcat of having to communicate with others to accomplish the work task.

One could argue I am employing the same behaviour here, just within a different medium.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a lot more serious but that's more due to not liking forced interaction and being constantly around a lot of people because it irritates me a lot. When I don't have those pressures, I'm a lot more relaxed and a lot different. I think that might be where a lot of my problems figuring out my type stems from.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind a little banter on the job as long as it doesn't impede problem solving or completing tasks. Go ahead and tell me about the funniest thing you ever saw or the best thing you ever ate (for the 9th time, even). Just keep your hands moving while you talk, and don't expect me to listen when I'm mentally rotating 3D objects on their axes, envisioning a workflow schematic, or doing math in my head.