EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Speech acts

If this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

Consider the following, from a book on how to think logically:

Speech acts can be classified according to how we intend our utterances to be understood by an audience. We use language primarily to (A) represent the facts, (B) get the audience to do something, (C) express our own mental world, or (D) show our commitment to bring about certain states of affairs. Accordingly, our expressions fall primarily within the four categories below, each comprising many speech acts.

A. INFORMATIVES: claiming, asserting, affirming, reporting, stating, denying, announcing, identifying, informing, predicting, answering, describing, and so on. Example:, the speech act of claiming that the defendant was involved in the crime.

B. DIRECTIVES: language used for prescribing, asking, advising, admonishing, entreating, begging, dismissing, excusing, forbidding, permitting, instructing, ordering, requesting, requiring, suggesting, urging, warning, and so on. Example: the speech act of prescribing that we should respect our parents.

C. EXPRESSIVES: lamenting, regretting, apologizing, congratulating, greeting, thanking, accepting, rejecting, objecting, cheering, and so on. Example: the speech act of apologizing for having been rude.

D. COMMISSIVES: promising, adjourning, calling to order, bequeathing, baptizing, guaranteeing, inviting, volunteering, naming, and so on. Example: the speech act of naming one’s cat ‘Felix.’
    Do you think that these in any way link up with Socionics? That is, with temperament, quadra, the information elements, or any other connection?
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A - logic
    B - Se
    C - ethics
    D - dunno, weird category

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold, Firm, Passionate, and Sincere, maybe?

I admit the last one may be a stretch, but the others fit quite well.

Creepy-Snaps

I'm definitely B. Directive. I usually talk when it has to do with something that needs to be done. And get annoyed fairly often when people talk for no purpose.

At work, on my 1st day of shadowing, when I was still learning, I was expecting to be told more how things are run. One of my coworkers was off the unit, and didn't end up getting his dinner until 7:30pm.

My supervisor was greatly upset by this. We have a conversation, and seemed to be on completely different pages. I'm asking if I should just bring him some food out, so he can eat. Waiting for an 'ok' or 'go ahead' or something like that. She keeps talking, worrying if he'll be ok, and very apologetic, talking about professionalism and her intentions and all, sorry that she just got too busy and had forgotten, etc.

I bring him out some food, and everything's ok. He just got dinner a couple hours late, that's all. He wasn't bothered at all. My supervisor apologizes to him profusely.

The next day, my supervisor, during shift report, goes on a 10 minute speech about team unity, how we need to look out for each other, and work together more......

I say I'll just watch next time to make sure anybody off the unit gets their dinner. (No big deal.) Just bring it out to them when it's dinner time. She seems shocked to hear this, after almost 10 minutes of talking, and then seems somewhat relieved to hear it so simply. It's like she gets caught up with ideas in her head so much, and is out-of-tune with reality.

My supervisor and I disagree on a lot, but I'll be switching to a higher-paying job soon. Hope you guys liked this quick story though.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    A - logic
    B - Se
    C - ethics
    D - dunno, weird category
    I would generally agree to this, but of course I think there are plenty of exceptions. And I'd like to think duals are able to talk in the same language, 'so to speak'.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    I'm definitely B. Directive. I usually talk when it has to do with something that needs to be done. And get annoyed fairly often when people talk for no purpose.

At work, on my 1st day of shadowing, when I was still learning, I was expecting to be told more how things are run. One of my coworkers was off the unit, and didn't end up getting his dinner until 7:30pm.

My supervisor was greatly upset by this. We have a conversation, and seemed to be on completely different pages. I'm asking if I should just bring him some food out, so he can eat. Waiting for an 'ok' or 'go ahead' or something like that. She keeps talking, worrying if he'll be ok, and very apologetic, talking about professionalism and her intentions and all, sorry that she just got too busy and had forgotten, etc.

I bring him out some food, and everything's ok. He just got dinner a couple hours late, that's all. He wasn't bothered at all. My supervisor apologizes to him profusely.

The next day, my supervisor, during shift report, goes on a 10 minute speech about team unity, how we need to look out for each other, and work together more......

I say I'll just watch next time to make sure anybody off the unit gets their dinner. (No big deal.) Just bring it out to them when it's dinner time. She seems shocked to hear this, after almost 10 minutes of talking, and then seems somewhat relieved to hear it so simply. It's like she gets caught up with ideas in her head so much, and is out-of-tune with reality.

My supervisor and I disagree on a lot, but I'll be switching to a higher-paying job soon. Hope you guys liked this quick story though.

I would generally agree to this, but of course I think there are plenty of exceptions. And I'd like to think duals are able to talk in the same language, 'so to speak'.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    Hahaha.