Thread: Affective and Reactive Emotions

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Affective and Reactive Emotions

A beautiful example of how the gap between Socionics (as a proto-science) and other behavioral and social sciences can be bridged (in response to Jarno's therad on Socionics' status as a science and Tcaud's thread on how to advance Socionics):

Passionate politics: emotions and social movements by Jeff Goodwin,James M. Jasper and Francesca Polletta.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=ai8r...page&q&f=false

Goodwin, Jasper and Polletta propose (for the purposes of their book), that there are two dimensions to emotions: how long emotions last and the object of emotions.

The first dimension is about how long emotions last: long term vs. short term emotions, also called affective and reactive emotions.

affective emotions (long term): hate, love, compassion, sympathy, respect, trust, loyalty, moral outrage, dread, resignation, cynicism, shame, paranoia, suspicion, optimism, pride, enthusiasm

reactive emotions (short term): fright, startle, surprise, shock, anger, grief, sorrow, anxiety, joy, euphoria, depression

Now do I recognize Fi and Fe in these descriptions? What are the implications for understanding Fi and Fe that we do not already know explicitly?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now do I recognize Fi and Fe in these descriptions? What are the implications for understanding Fi and Fe that we do not already know explicitly?
    absolutely. this is a great find indeed.

it chimes in perfectly with what i (and smilingeyes long before me) have been saying about Static and Dynamic respectively for years: the first is controlled and intiative taking, much like in the sense of "affective", the second is reactive and warding off influence from outside sources.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    absolutely. this is a great find indeed.

it chimes in perfectly with what i (and smilingeyes long before me) have been saying about Static and Dynamic respectively for years: the first is controlled and intiative taking, much like in the sense of "affective", the second is reactive and warding off influence from outside sources.
    I'm not an expert on Reinin dichotomies, but would it be fair to say:

• Static = short term (perhaps even a snap-shot focus on reality, as per wikisocion)
    • Dynamic = long term

???
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't really put it that way. one can examine a snapshot of a distant future state, or look at a dynamic progression restricted to the here and now. long term/short term doesn't really enter the equation. so that part i'm personally not 100% enthusiastic about.

if you did want to pursue that thought, you could look at how Te/Fi puts the anchor (External; i.e. the trait with the "heavier" and more "concrete" character) on the Dynamic plane, so you would end up with an association between Te/Fi values and some interpretation of "long term" (since that was what you associated Dynamic with).

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Goodwin, Jasper and Polletta propose (for the purposes of their book), that there are two dimensions to emotions: how long emotions last and the object of emotions.
    This may be related to which function F functions are tied to, S or N. My ILE ex for example would spontaneously develop feelings a la rejection/acceptance in response to his acute sense of smell (Fe-Si super-id block). The SEIs and ESEs likewise seem to have emotions that are tied to the physical realm. To me it seems like they often experience short-lived emotions. My emotions seem to be influenced by considerations of time, recurrence and frequency of events.

But as far as I know F functions in socionics do not represent all possible emotions one could feel but only a narrow range of them. All functions produce some kind of feeling response, so there is no sense in trying to isolate Fi and Fe in that list.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    But as far as I know F functions in socionics do not represent all possible emotions one could feel but only a narrow range of them. All functions produce some kind of feeling response, so there is no sense in trying to isolate Fi and Fe in that list.
    This is quite true: we should not understand Fi or Fe as emotions in the common sense. Still, I do recognize the overlap between between Fi and affective emotions as well as Fe and reactive emotions. So now I'm curious: how would you describe Fi and Fe, i.e. what do you think these information elements contain?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Depression can last a really long time...

So can anger, grief and anxiety.

You can't be 'shocked' for a long time, I give you that. But maybe you can, if you always do something new and interesting each day. But this can be very impractical and impossible.

And moral outrage can be short...

I agree that love and hate are long term because they usually take time to build up and grow. Hatred was once dissapointment, then bitterness...or it was once fear.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tumblr_n5dfw1C8K1

perfect titties! OMG
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wants to know the REAL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

-Krishna

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Krishna