View Poll Results: What groups of children would you prefer taking care of?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Good Kid

7 58.33%
  • A Few Good Kids

6 50.00%
  • Several Good Kids

2 16.67%
  • 1 Troublesome Kid

4 33.33%
  • A Few Troublesome Kids

1 8.33%
  • Several Troublesome Kids

0 0%
  • 1 Dim-Witted Kid

3 25.00%
  • A Few Dim-Witted Kids

3 25.00%
  • Several Dim-Witted Kids

1 8.33%
  • None

4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Caring for Children

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Arrow Caring for Children

What groups of children would you not mind taking care of?

This is to see whether different types prefer different circumstances relating to children and if so, what it is related to. (I'll be focusing on merry vs. serious.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I currently understand myself, I don't like taking care of kids in any variety. I am destined to become a wretched child hater.

I am however curious about how children reason and their psychology as I can flatter myself with my keen insights into it as I recall my own reasoning processes. This way I can have child test subjects in walled see-through cells who will be provided for by helper robots and things that emit love signals. It will be very clinical and I won't have to be involved in caring for anyone.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Children. I don't know who would want to "take care" of any.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol, i can't vote in this poll. the categories...i don't even know what to say. the idea of labeling kids like that makes me really uncomfortable, largely for reasons that are impossible to articulate and partly for reasons that have been shown - like that kids conform to and grow into labels that are placed on them.

i don't know, maybe this wasn't meant to be entirely serious?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your definition of "good"?

What's your definition of "troublesome"?

What's your definition of "dim-witted"?
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'll take care of all of them; I can find ways through my inventive to adjust my relations even my own temper to them; for goodness sake, I helped raise three SEE kids....no problem...I love the challenge, it gives me new things to work on and new ways of exploring possible situations...
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    lol, i can't vote in this poll. the categories...i don't even know what to say. the idea of labeling kids like that makes me really uncomfortable, largely for reasons that are impossible to articulate and partly for reasons that have been shown - like that kids conform to and grow into labels that are placed on them.

Exactly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post

There are arguments to be made that in some sense our individual identities aren't entirely our own but are partly shaped by how others view us, what they anticipate or desire from us, and how it's sometimes necessary to adopt the roles we're given, even unconsciously. As laghlagh pointed out and as anyone with a lousy upbringing is too aware, there are definite dangers in labeling children and adolescents. This is why I bang my head against my keyboard when parentals begin asking what type their babies and preschoolers might be. Assigning a predetermined personality to someone whose cognitive development is mostly unrealized has the potential to create unwarranted expectations. It's entirely natural to categorize or hold out hope that children will grow in certain ways but there's already enough frustration and disappointment in child-rearing without imposing an additional layer of artificiality. I can understand the motivations behind wanting to know the road ahead but it's better in my opinion to wait and see what innate traits children have, cultivating the positive and discouraging the negative as they appear.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol what a poll

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think only Fi types tend to care for children as they are naturally empathic and want them to be good citizens.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    What's your definition of "good"?
    Children who don't misbehave, get along well with others, enjoy learning, and aren't picky eaters.
    What's your definition of "troublesome"?
    I looked up "troublesome" in the dictinary. That definition is adequate.
    What's your definition of "dim-witted"?
    Retarded kids or just slow learners.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Longer a Dating Site View Post
    I think only Fi types tend to care for children as they are naturally empathic and want them to be good citizens.
    Alpha SFs are the most common types in the early childhood field.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Alpha SFs are the most common types in the early childhood field.
    Early childhood is about caring for their everyday needs not for bringing up children as model citizens. So yes I agree they do care about children when they are very young and have only basic needs.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No Longer a Dating Site View Post
    Early childhood is about caring for their everyday needs not for bringing up children as model citizens. So yes I agree they do care about children when they are very young and have only basic needs.
    However they stop doing it when the kids get too old because as Alpha SFs they're only interested in Fe goo and don't want to have to think about how to raise kids to be real people.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    However they stop doing it when the kids get too old because as Alpha SFs they're only interested in Fe goo and don't want to have to think about how to raise kids to be real people.
    Exactly.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

that's badass!

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Children who don't misbehave, get along well with others, enjoy learning, and aren't picky eaters.
    Children who never misbehave will grow up to be pacivists and pushovers; they will be taken advantage of. An independent-thinking child will not always agree or get along with others, yet they will stand up for others as well as themselves when necessary.

Well, I, too, love a child who enjoys learning, and can hardly imagine a child who would not want to learn something; but, each child will have different ideas about what is worth learning-- would you only consider a child "good" who was willing to learn what you wanted to teach him? What if he wanted to sit and study the stucco on the ceiling for hours?

Children who aren't picky eaters...Well, I think it is a healthy habit to be a little picky about what one eats...I was always very aware of the quality of what I ate as a child--I didn't want to eat anything that had had a fly land on it, or bananas that had bruises, or grapes with little holes where the birds and bugs had gotten to them...

Your idea of a "good" child would be the perfect candidate for a classroom or a daycare. But, they would be boring to raise. And I would be terribly worried for their future safety in the world.

I looked up "troublesome" in the dictinary. That definition is adequate.
    from dictionary.com:

trou·ble·some   /ˈtrʌbəlsəm/ Show Spelled
    [truhb-uhl-suhm] Show IPA

–adjective
    1. causing trouble, annoyance, or difficulty; vexatious: a troublesome situation; a troublesome person.
    2. laborious; difficult.
    3. Archaic . full of distress or affliction.
    I have "troublesome" children according to this definition. Not a day goes by in which they do not try my patience (and all too often I give out before the end of the day, but my endurance is improving). Sure, they're a lot of work, and they wear me thin (literally, haha). But I like to think that the rewards of persevering with them and gradually helping them to channel their energies-- not to suppress them-- will lead to their becoming hard-working, independent, integritous young men. I am proud of my "troublesome" boys.

Retarded kids or just slow learners.
    I would be happy to raise one of your "dim-witted" kids. "Retarded" children can be a delight and a blessing, so pure and innocent. And take care about labeling your "slow learners," because sometimes a slow learner will turn out to have the best memory, the most perseverance and care for details. Being a "slow learner" does not equate to being unintelligent or useless. A slow learner is, more often that not, a more dedicated learner than your kid who learns things quickly, but also forgets quickly.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good point about "good" kids.
    Being a "slow learner" does not equate to being unintelligent or useless. A slow learner is, more often that not, a more dedicated learner than your kid who learns things quickly, but also forgets quickly.
    I don't mean slow in quantity, I mean slow in quantity and quality.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari