Thread: Inception - science fiction film

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inception - science fiction film

I gave the movie Inception another watch recently, and I found a lack of discussion on their types in forum searches. These are initial impressions I had of the characters, rather than a dogmatic statement of their types. It is worth noting that these characters are, in a sense, not so much characters as they are archetypes.

Dominic Cobb, the Extractor: SLE.

Arthur, the Point Man: LII.

Ariadne, the Architect: IEE (SEI?).

Eames, the Forger: EIE.

Saito, the Tourist: LSI.

Yusuf, the Chemist: SLI.

Fischer, the Mark:
    EII.

Mal Cobb, the Shade: IEI.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bump

i recently re-watched this a couple of times, and i agree with your typings

maybe a calm sort of SLE is possible for Eames? and i hadn't thought of IEE for Ariadne before - i like that suggestion.

anyway Saito, Eames, and Arthur are my favorites

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I gave the movie Inception another watch recently, and I found a lack of discussion on their types in forum searches. These are initial impressions I had of the characters, rather than a dogmatic statement of their types. It is worth noting that these characters are, in a sense, not so much characters as they are archetypes.

Dominic Cobb, the Extractor: SLE.

Arthur, the Point Man: LII.

Ariadne, the Architect: IEE (SEI?).

Eames, the Forger: EIE.

Saito, the Tourist: LSI.

Yusuf, the Chemist: SLI.

Fischer, the Mark:
    EII.

Mal Cobb, the Shade: IEI.
    I also generally agree with these typings, although I think Ariadne is more likely XEI.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adriane is ILE-Ti
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, EII for Fischer. I can see how an inception to an Fi-ego using a negative relationship could be enough to have him make a big decision based solely on that. What made you consider EII? I didn't even think about typing the characters in that movie before, lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Hmmm, EII for Fischer. I can see how an inception to an Fi-ego using a negative relationship could be enough to have him make a big decision based solely on that. What made you consider EII? I didn't even think about typing the characters in that movie before, lol.
    That was part of it. He seemed to be an idealistic, introspective character who was consciously focusing on his conflicted emotional bond with his father. It was more of an intuitive typing.

Glam: Most of the characters are stock characters in the spy genre. Eames as the Faceman is very much a roleplayer, an actor, who gets in character to manipulate the emotional development of his 'audience' (i.e. the Mark). This matched more with my own conception of the EIE as an archetype.

ETA: I'm curious about the other arguments for XEI, IEE, and ILE for Ariadne. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box