Thread: what was the process for figuring out your type?

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default what was the process for figuring out your type?

when i first came across socionics, i couldn't pin down a quadra because there were aspects of each that i could identify with. there were also several descriptions that i could relate to. i remember looking at the flowchart on rick's page and deciding i was some INxx type (how i came to that based on the chart, i have no idea). eventually i settled on IEI as a type to "try on." then i started typing the people around me in my life. but the more people i typed the more obvious it was that i gravitated to deltas and avoided betas. i briefly considered the possibility that i was some kind of crazy and self-defeating IEI, lol, before deciding to "try on" EII to see if it worked better. and while there are some things about EII that i don't like (mostly what i see as incorrect stereotypes) i think it works better than anything else probably would.

what was the process for you? were you able to easily spot yourself in quadra descriptions? did any one type pop out at you immediately? did you try any wrong ones on first before this one? what sources did you use? what do you think about the idea of "trying on" a type versus holding out?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the 4 dichotomies and read the description of the resulting type. INTP. It all fitted nicely.

When I came to socionics I simply assumed it was the same type, but I got confused when I read about information elements, especially Ni. I couldn't recognize myself in it. Fortunately my type got confirmed by relationships.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got bullied into whatever type worked with other people's misguided ideas about Socionics to keep them able to think they were the type they wanted to be.

Oh wait, really?

I had taken an MBTI test and gotten ENFP, and I figured out my husband was either ISTP or ISTJ but probably ISTP. Then I looked and it said I shouldn't get along that well with ISTPs and would be better with INFPs. Which seemed odd as we have a really easy marriage, so I googled "ENFP ISTP relationships" or some such thing, and found this site and the concept of "duality". I posted about me and my husband, and everyone said, "You sound ENFp and he sounds ISTp."
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I used the 4 dichotomies and read the description of the resulting type. INTP. It all fitted nicely.

When I came to socionics I simply assumed it was the same type, but I got confused when I read about information elements, especially Ni. I couldn't recognize myself in it. Fortunately my type got confirmed by relationships.
    Basically the same thing. I came in with the right idea, but got confused.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't pay much attention to it at the start thinking of it as another horoscope site. Anyway, it took some time for me and I mean some time. First got typed all 16, then some people offered a helping hand (you know who you are and I appreciate it), then I checked IEs, quadra descriptions and hey it makes sense, actually. So yea, I'm still here, alive and kicking.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty positive about NF from studying MBTI. Though, I did toy with the idea that I could be an SF type.

I knew from reading Quadra descriptions that I matched best with Gamma and Delta, not so much with Alpha and Beta.

Infantile romantic style also fit me best. So, I settled on Delta NF, then finally ENFp.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be so bold as to say my self-typing is completely squared away.

I first took the MBTI when I was 16 or so and came out INFP. So I always assumed that was my type. My ex-husband had come out on MBTI as ESTJ--he took it at my request. After our breakup, I wondered about our basic compatibility and googled a bit and found Socionics. Looking at the descriptions, he seemed still to be very clearly ESTj. I was unsure if I would be EIE or IEI.

Over time here, I began to see that some of the interrelations were not fitting too well with me as IEI. I also noted that some of the descriptions of IEI fit me so poorly that I would never have decided from them that I could possibly be IEI. Also, other people typed IEI on this board seemed somewhat different from me. This was pointed out by other people in chat, as well.

So I began to revisit EIE, and with clearer ideas of Fe, Ni, Si, and Te, I could see myself much more easily as Fe leading and Si PoLR. One of the things I had struggled with is that Te doesn't really bother me. What I had believed were Te issues with my ex, for example, probably were not; it was Ni PoLR, and Aiss is one of the people on here who, via discussion, helped me to see that. I have quite a few close relationships IRL with Te types, and it's not too problematic. Meanwhile, I have terrible problems with Si.

And I seem far too, um, tense, direct, physically upright, purposeful, straight-line, and energy-level-consistent to be IP temperament. Slowly observing my relationships with P types underscores some pretty stark differences in our life modes.

Most of my relationships make a lot more sense if I consider my type to be EIE; Socionics in general makes more sense with that assumption in place. In fact, I could continue ad nauseum making a case for why EIE works better. That said, some people on here will continue to view me as IEI. Likewise, if I were to reassert that I'm IEI, some of you would see me as more properly typed as EIE. (One solution that does not seem to work is saying that I'm IEI-Fe. It doesn't get at the actual problems I have with the IEI typing.)

So I'm okay with leaving it at Beta NF and keeping open the possibility of IEI. I've considered a few other types, too, but none of them makes much sense. I would offer that EIE as a whole seems rather poorly understood and not heavily represented on this forum. Hitler and histronics in general are probably not the best way to understand the type. And it's odd to me that EIE is viewed as it is, because the various canned descriptions, which sometimes seem to do a disservice to certain types, are actually not half bad for EIE, I think. Most of the ones at

http://www.socionic.ru/index.php/201...10-14-21-00-34

fit me really well.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 years ago, I tested MBTI ISTJ, my ex tested ENFP. Our relationship sucked. Tried working with some other ENFPs, couldn't. Read the socionics description, made sense. I met some ENFJs, and I noticed it was a whole lot easier. Made sense.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a dartboard.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my test scores have always been ambiguous where J/P was concerned, so i initially doubted between INTp and INTj for a long time. it was after a number of encounters with ExFjs and ESxps that the pieces fell in place. the visceral understanding of duality and supervision overrode anything i could bring up against the INTj typing in terms of technical arguments.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Hitler and histronics in general are probably not the best way to understand the type.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for a way to find like-minded people and then for compatibility in relationships and collaboration for a music band - at first, I thought these are rather the same thing.
    An ENTP test result intrigued me and after I read many descriptions, both MBTI and Socionics, I was excited to find out that some oe them tell very accurate and unexpected details about me. Then I read about the relationships, one on personalitypage.com and the other on socionics.com. They differed radically, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which is right and at one point I found out that they are actually different systems. Soon I have chosen Socionics as making much more sense to me, studying further I rarely (and only "in the beginning", so to speak) had a doubt about my type.

I considered only SLE as I like challenges and beating people at games - both computer of physical, mocking ignorance, very "eager", etc, and IEE - sympathy for the weak, defending freedom of information, etc - as possible alternatives. In fact, in 2006 or so, my brother almost convinced me in a discussion that I'd be SLE, based on some facts, however we were overlooking a lot of things (eg my habit of coming with "universal schemes", seeing correspondences in anything).
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model