Thread: Being passive/active

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being passive/active

is this type-related/maturity level related/person related?

Is being passive a bad thing?

Creepy-male

I would think it's extraversion/introversion related.

I don't think it's a bad thing. Extraverts will appreciate introverts going along with their initiatives without competition. Meanwhile as an introvert I like how extraverts do all the hard work of deciding things to do for me

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Being passive is NEVER a bad thing. Killing someone is a bad and terrible thing, but not being passive, no.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-male

What about letting someone die through your inaction

TOUCHÉ, MARITSA. LOGICAL CHECKMATE.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post

TOUCHÉ, MARITSA. LOGICAL CHECKMATE.
    lol; now you're getting me to evaluate (moral grounds) through (variation/change in circumstance and motivations); That would be negligent to let someone die because you're being passive, if you have the physical and mental capability to do something about it, if however you are still passive and do not have the mental and physical capability to help the person than it is still not wrong. Do you see now how a lot of our laws are made in such a fashion as to how my brain thinks naturally? This is why EII can be so great at law; through the capability of factoring situations in and interpretation of right/wrong and good/bad.

But in the very end of this process is forgiveness and love; on those grounds everyone is one.

I think SEE. ESI, and IEE are a lot more black and white when it comes to morals than I am; they stick to things and don't evaluate the circumstance as I do.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    is this type-related/maturity level related/person related?

I think it's type-related to an extent, but that other factors (like depression) can influence it as well.

I think it's a bad thing. Passive people don't confront; they hide or just let things roll over them. That's no way to live. I wouldn't suggest going to the other extreme and steamrolling over everyone, either. This is one of the things I learned about in a Psych class.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are unhealthy extremes to any type of behavior.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being passive/active in what setting? In what context? It's impossible to say that any one word is type-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    lol; now you're getting me to evaluate (moral grounds) through (variation/change in circumstance and motivations); That would be negligent to let someone die because you're being passive, if you have the physical and mental capability to do something about it, if however you are still passive and do not have the mental and physical capability to help the person than it is still not wrong. Do you see now how a lot of our laws are made in such a fashion as to how my brain thinks naturally? This is why EII can be so great at law; through the capability of factoring situations in and interpretation of right/wrong and good/bad.
    Law doesn't give a shit what is good or bad. Law is not a conscious entity, it's a manmade construct. Any decisions as to what is "right" or "wrong" in terms of law can only be what goes with the law and what goes against it. What constitutes as morality can only be determined by the individual, and any external impositions of law placed upon that individual morality can only be a detriment to the individual morality. Law is just a sequence of numbers in a computer that give a specific output depending on the data; there's no humanistic morality in there at all. The only morality that can even remotely exist in regard to law exist only in the people who create the laws and within their own personal senses of good and bad (sometimes).
    Last edited by Galen; 03-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on who you ask.

and

or

and

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

passive can be very bad. what about allowing someone to abuse you? Or worse, your children?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about lenient vs overbearing?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    What about lenient vs overbearing?
    I'm probably biased with this assessment but I'd say that lenient is much better than overbearing, especially when it comes to parenting. But this also depends to some extent on the temperament of the children. For example, with my girls, they're harder on themselves than I would ever be. I'm the one who has to beg them to stop studying, to have fun and live a little! Now granted, they're only 11 so maybe this will change in time. But if I had a kid who was a real slacker or a bully or something, I'd have to be a little less lenient and extend some stronger boundaries.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't Ni passive?

Isn't Ni just looking at the world, waiting for an opportunity to present itself, and grabbing it?

Isn't Ni doing nothing when you know that that something will be done anyway without you doing anything?

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wat

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    I take the action of killing someone as morally worse than letting someone does through inaction.

That being said, I am frequently passive in most everything. I don't think anything is inherently 'good' or 'bad' though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    No, not particularly.
    care to elaborate?

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But isn't Ni passive?
    Well, it's not as if Ni acts separately from other IEs in people.

In myself, Ni is often about seeing what is likely to go wrong (and right), and rather than merely sit by and let things take their course, I act and advocate in response to what I am aware of.

Isn't Ni just looking at the world, waiting for an opportunity to present itself, and grabbing it?
    Maybe Ni does involve, in some people, waiting for an opportunity to present itself--but the act of grabbing it isn't passive, is it? Grabbing is not the same as being swept along by life.

I'd say I cultivate opportunities rather than wait completely passively for them to appear, personally.

Isn't Ni doing nothing when you know that that something will be done anyway without you doing anything?
    This just sounds kind of unhealthy to me, taken too far. Not sure it's descriptive of anything Socionically. I mean, I can think of instances where I know very well that something will be done by someone in response to a situation and leave it to them to handle it rather than interfere, but others do this for me, as well.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    there are unhealthy extremes to any type of behavior.
    this.

i think there are trends with type, like i think an Ip would be more likely to be or be perceived as passive than an Ej. i think this is one of those things that is also really heavily influenced by other factors like upbringing.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends who with who interacts. Usually, the Extratims are the ones who take initiative and tend to take the active role in casual interaction, but that's not a rule IME. I recall that in a group of friends, an IEI was the one who was making most propositions, for example where should we party, when and how - others conforming to his ideas if they felt like.

Technically, it's probably impossible to tell apart the tendencies of types, but there is this impression that Introtims initiatives are some sort of "reverberations" of what Extratims inseminate in the relationship in advance (when they're opposite on this dichotomy), the subjects, the topics, the type of activities. It's this image of Introtims as having independent interests, but gravitating around the main interests of the Extratims when they interact, a vibe of "giving back" or reacting, rather than acting.

I talk much more with Introtims, I think it says it all in my case. I find hard to talk about subjects that don't interest me and talking to Extratims feel like they're slippery and constantly try to push their own agenda. Overall...
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm passive if I think someone else should be in charge. I'm active if I'm around incompetant or unwilling people.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post

Technically, it's probably impossible to tell apart the tendencies of types, but there is this impression that Introtims initiatives are some sort of "reverberations" of what Extratims inseminate in the relationship in advance (when they're opposite on this dichotomy), the subjects, the topics, the type of activities. It's this image of Introtims as having independent interests, but gravitating around the main interests of the Extratims when they interact, a vibe of "giving back" or reacting, rather than acting.
    Yes, I do this.
    I talk much more with Introtims, I think it says it all in my case. I find hard to talk about subjects that don't interest me and talking to Extratims feel like they're slippery and constantly try to push their own agenda. Overall...
    I've heard other E types say the same thing.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What were they doing in a situation where they're gonna get killed in the first place. Why wasn't their intuition strong enough to simply avoid the situation? Doesn't the victimized party have any responsibility to save their own damn selves? And how are you helping by stupidly throwing yourself in danger. That's not brave, that's reckless.

100 chapters of gay ranting, and you guys still don't learn your lessons. *sigh* Oh well. 100+ more to go, on their way!

Being passive is ironically stronger. Like Xena says, as soon as you pick up a sword, you become a target.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you act 'active' like an annoying heterosexual person, I will just villainize you in one of my stories. It's better to just be cute and quiet and faggy, so i can love you and want to protect you. Okay? Make passive hugs, not active drugs. <3 If you want to fight something, and if you need to be 'active' then go beat up trashcans in your yard or something. Go take karate classes. I don't know. Go beat up your pillow. Because the last thing we need in this world is one more heartless thug.

And I wouldn't act so righteous about this if you also asked the opposite question out of fairness.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Make passive hugs, not active drugs.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that it is type related or easily pinned down to any particular factor.
    Some of the most passive people I know are extraverted and some of the most active is introverted.

You could be active/passive in relations, opportunities, getting your life on track, getting it off track,
    and I can't see how this is typerelated even in what part of life you're active/passive in.

Seems to be a mix of types, how they were raised, what friends they have, what their interests are, what
    philosophy/religion they subsribe to, intelligence, opportunities, restrictions, physical and mental health, etc...

To be able to tell if being passive is good or bad thing, you must know what you think is good, if you even think
    there are such things as good and bad, or if you just care about the approval of others; what they find good or bad.

Being passive could be seen as an active choice not to do a specific thing.

Ask yourself how it would affect you if it was good/bad.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type related? I think introverts are typically somewhat more passive, and intuitives.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    What were they doing in a situation where they're gonna get killed in the first place. Why wasn't their intuition strong enough to simply avoid the situation? Doesn't the victimized party have any responsibility to save their own damn selves? And how are you helping by stupidly throwing yourself in danger. That's not brave, that's reckless.

100 chapters of gay ranting, and you guys still don't learn your lessons. *sigh* Oh well. 100+ more to go, on their way!

Being passive is ironically stronger. Like Xena says, as soon as you pick up a sword, you become a target.
    BnD!!!!!!

Let's say a 12-year-old girl or boy is being attacked by a group of older children in the street through no fault of their own. You can just call the police for them--you don't have to be their personal superhero.

Er, I'm pretty sure some people have been successfully prosecuted for crimes by not acting in instances like that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ the smoke filled room video above...

If it were me I'd have said something at about 3 seconds. Now, is that because I'm an ESE, or because I just know large amounts of smoke = bad.

In regards to the topic, I can sometimes be a bit passive, but I'm much more active at work than I'd ever be outside of it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    lol @ the smoke filled room video above...

If it were me I'd have said something at about 3 seconds. Now, is that because I'm an ESE, or because I just know large amounts of smoke = bad.

In regards to the topic, I can sometimes be a bit passive, but I'm much more active at work than I'd ever be outside of it.
    Hi cracka! how are ya?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Hi cracka! how are ya?
    Doing pretty good these days, took a few weeks off work to visit family and the day I got back I got a promotion and a fat raise to go with it. That's helping to keep me in a decent mood at this point...lol. Other than that, not much changes from day to day with me.

What's new with you?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing pretty good these days, took a few weeks off work to visit family and the day I got back I got a promotion and a fat raise to go with it. That's helping to keep me in a decent mood at this point...lol. Other than that, not much changes from day to day with me.

What's new with you?
    wow, that's some welcome back surprise! lol Not much new with me...
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing pretty good these days, took a few weeks off work to visit family and the day I got back I got a promotion and a fat raise to go with it. That's helping to keep me in a decent mood at this point...lol.
    That's cool. Good mood always follows that, LOL!
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model