Thread: XXE vs XXI and Sleeping Hours

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default XXE vs. XXI and Sleeping Hours

There was a previpous thread about hours of sleep, but this one is more specific. I have come to believe that extratims need more sleep than introtims do. This is probably because extratims have higher energy levels during the day. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer 8 or 9, can deal with 6 if I'm not going to have to do anything requiring me to interact on any serious level with another human being, cuz I won't be happy.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes, my duals generally do need more sleep. I'm up early in the morning doing things and my cousin is still in bed till about 8 to 9am
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually get ten. Eight hours is sufficient. I can function on six as long as I sleep in the day before or after.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Yes, my duals generally do need more sleep. I'm up early in the morning doing things and my cousin is still in bed till about 8 to 9am
    Wow when do you go to bed? Ten?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Wow when do you go to bed? Ten?
    I get very little sleep, around 5 to 7 hours per night. But, I'm always weaker and less active during the day than my duals are.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    There was a previpous thread about hours of sleep, but this one is more specific. I have come to believe that extratims need more sleep than introtims do. This is probably because extratims have higher energy levels during the day. Has anyone else noticed this trend?
    Lol. INTps need more since we get so little, at least me.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Creepy-bg

I love to do marathon sleeping 12+ hours, but I don't do it so often anymore. 10 hours (best) to 8 hours (fine) is what I usually get. My sleep schedule kind of rotates around the day/night as the month progresses. A few weeks ago I was going to sleep around 6 or 7pm and waking up around 4am. today (and recently) I've been going to sleep around 6am and waking up around 3pm.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I love to do marathon sleeping 12+ hours, but I don't do it so often anymore. 10 hours (best) to 8 hours (fine) is what I usually get. My sleep schedule kind of rotates around the day/night as the month progresses. A few weeks ago I was going to sleep around 6 or 7pm and waking up around 4am. today (and recently) I've been going to sleep around 6am and waking up around 3pm.
    Does it make a difference?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

sometimes i'm fine with 5 and other times i need 9. it seems to depend on a lot of factors. i don't get it. i'm not very consistent with my sleeping habits.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So maybe sleep is more temperament-related.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could sleep 10 hours if I could get it. I would love that. But my Ip husband could too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-bg

Does it make a difference?
    does what make a difference?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    does what make a difference?
    Does the amount of sleep you get make a difference during the day?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-bg

Does the amount of sleep you get make a difference during the day?
    yes, no, maybe. idk

i guess that i want to go to sleep sooner if I've had less sleep.

usually i start getting tired after being awake for about 12 hours. if i don't get enough sleep that goes down to 4 to 6 hours. (I think)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do fine with 2-4 hours per night but 6 is optimal. And by "night" I often mean "day".
    Last edited by Korpsy Knievel; 03-20-2011 at 01:15 AM.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in my former school, it was not unusual for me to have 6 hours of sleep. However, I'd say this is the lower limit and I'd rather not sleep less than that. 9 hours is probably the maximum which is comfortable. That means my sleep per day is somewhere between 6 and 9 hours. Until now, it happened twice that I worked the night through because something had to be done. That was very exhausting and I didn't enjoy it, but I'm generally more of a night owl.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Robot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around 7-8 hours on the weekdays and then marathon sleeping on the weekends to catch up. 12+ hours. Feels good!
    /

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait...7-8 hours on the weekdays and then catching it up?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Lol. INTps need more since we get so little, at least me.
    Yep. My ILI needs a lot of sleep. And he sleeps very deeply, too. He has trouble getting himself to bed, though; wants to stay up all hours of the night reading webcomics and watching super hero cartoons on YouTube But, once he's in bed he is difficult to budge anytime before 8 AM; he would gladly sleep in much later if he didn't have to get up for work (or for early morning cartoons on Saturdays).

I am a light sleeper, and past a certain point in the morning I start to have [i]really[/] crazy dreams if I sleep in. I think ideally, I would sleep from around 11 PM to 7 AM. If I didn't wake up frequently throughout the night (regardless of my children), I could probably get by on less; but sometimes I will spend a good half-hour or so lying awake in the middle of the night. So most realistically, I probably need around 9 hours in bed.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I prefer 8 or 9, can deal with 6 if I'm not going to have to do anything requiring me to interact on any serious level with another human being, cuz I won't be happy.
    I need around 9. 8 I feel groggy, 10 I get sleep inertia. If I don't get enough I'm really cranky and don't feel like dealing with people.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to sleep no less than 7 hours to feel good, otherwise I don't think as clearly as if I had slept an okay amount. However, I can't sleep more than 9 hours - at most, I slept 10 hours in a row, never more than that.
    If I don't exercise for more than one week, I can get by with 4 or 5 hours of sleep, but that's suboptimal - I start feeling like shit after a while.

Introverts I know seem to handle better a larger variation in their sleep patterns, but it might have to do with my PoLR, too. Oh, and I can't sleep during the day at all. I'm very sensitive to sunlight - if my room isn't dark enough, I need to cover my eyes with something, otherwise I wake up at 6 AM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

My optimal sleep is around seven hours. I regularly get four to five. I often get around 10 on the weekend, which is far too much.
    Last edited by nil; 03-20-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know active people who sleep very little, lazy ones who get more sleep than an old dog, and any range and combination in between. I don't think there's a strong typological correlation.

However, I'll agree that ILIs like myself and others that I know will often pursue personal interests at the expense of sleep.

Personally I've got to be both mentally and bodily exhausted to doze off, so even when I've got a regular construction gig and spend all my free time in "heavy" reading I still get no more than 4-6 hours a night.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I can't sleep during the day at all. I'm very sensitive to sunlight - if my room isn't dark enough, I need to cover my eyes with something, otherwise I wake up at 6 AM.
    "Researchers say sudden exposure to light can upset a sleeping individual's 'body clock,' even if snoozing continues uninterrupted. The experts believe their insights into light's effects on the sleep/wake cycle could further research into the treatment of common sleep disorders.

"Nighttime exposure to light begins to motion a chemical process which can function as a precise, selective, and very rapid neural switch controlling the sleep/wake cycle.

"The sleep/wake cycle is controlled, in large part, by the secretion of melatonin by the pineal gland, which is located deep within the brain. Melatonin production surges during nighttime sleep. One of the biochemical machines involved in the production of melatonin is this enzyme, AA-NAT (N-acetyltransferase).

"It's the only one of the machines there that can turn production on and off. A rise in AA-NAT levels triggers a concurrent rise in sleep-inducing melatonin. AA-NAT levels can be reduced when consumed by barrel-shaped cell structures called proteasomes. Usually, the regular nighttime activity of the pineal gland effectively shields AA-NAT against proteasomal destruction.

"The simple clicking on of a bedside lamp means light comes along, blocks (pineal) stimulation, and the (AA-NAT) protein is zapped by the ever-ready proteasomes. The result? A simultaneous drop in melatonin levels. Light exposure is a very good way of controlling melatonin production. Since melatonin is directly linked to the workings of the mind's sleep/wake 'clock,' therapies that replicate the potent effects of light on melatonin production could prove effective in treating conditions such as jet lag or insomnia."

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, so it's perfectly normal after all. Thanks for the cargo

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I need to sleep no less than 7 hours to feel good, otherwise I don't think as clearly as if I had slept an okay amount. However, I can't sleep more than 9 hours - at most, I slept 10 hours in a row, never more than that.
    If I don't exercise for more than one week, I can get by with 4 or 5 hours of sleep, but that's suboptimal - I start feeling like shit after a while.

Introverts I know seem to handle better a larger variation in their sleep patterns, but it might have to do with my PoLR, too. Oh, and I can't sleep during the day at all. I'm very sensitive to sunlight - if my room isn't dark enough, I need to cover my eyes with something, otherwise I wake up at 6 AM.
    I could have said that! Do you despise those lazy bastards who sleep a lot? Does it bother you when someone is sleeping in the day hours and asks for silence? Do you prefer pizza or hamburguers?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably related / unrelated.

I hate being woken up, especially when I've not fully rested yet. You become my instant enemy.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice tautology, bro.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    I could have said that! Do you despise those lazy bastards who sleep a lot? Does it bother you when someone is sleeping in the day hours and asks for silence? Do you prefer pizza or hamburguers?
    lol.

1) YES. I want to blast some music and wake them up.
    2) YES. Silence is for the weak (???)
    3) Refer to my nationality!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    Nice tautology, bro.
    Not necessarily. I hate other things, but taking sleep from me is personal.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant this:
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Probably related / unrelated.
    I got two hours down-time yesterday, was awakened to lug heavy objects around for a while, and have yet to become tired again.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to get 8 to 9 hours to feel rested. I know when I don't get enough I tend to get stressed out easily. I can sleep for 2 or 3 hours and run all day on adrenaline if I have enough work to keep me busy. When I do get enough sleep that night I feel tired all the next day.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anything less than 6 and I will feel very tired throughout the day. 7-8 is optimal.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually want 7-8.

I can get by with 5 if I have to, but I'll be really tired the next day. If I'm REALLY tired and exhausted, sometimes I need 10 hours, but usually I don't need that much.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i need 8-10 hours to not feel tired, though i don't always get this much because of my schedule, and because i often stay up late even when i have something to do early in the morning.

when i am able to consistently get 8-10 hours of sleep, i not only feel better, i look better too. plenty of sleep gives me brighter eyes and clearer-looking skin, etc.

i don't really like sleeping in late (even though i often end up doing it). i feel best overall when i wake up early, having gotten enough sleep. waking up past noon or something makes me feel lazy and annoyed at myself, and i tend to be less productive than if i had gotten my day started earlier.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not type related... Except for LSE apparently. Perhaps irrationals would function better from naps or breaks more? Or just totally not type related.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

hm well personally i don't really do well with naps. a nap doesn't refresh me really, waking up from one just makes me feel like i didn't sleep enough, and that i need to keep on sleeping.

Creepy-male

You nap for too long then. You should never really be napping over an hour. My magic number is 20 minutes, 50 minutes if I'm not falling asleep already. [EDIT: possibly a good measure of your ideal nap time is sleep deprive yourself until you fall asleep in your chair or doze off without realising. However long you sleep for is your nap length. I found 20 minutes after falling asleep in more English classes than I can remember ]

I need to take 20 minute naps by the second half of the day or my head just goes into a fog.

Need for sleep is inborn temperament, I think. Actual sleep patterns seem to be type-related based on this thread, with IPs staying up late due to distractions Glad to know it's not just me.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depends on what I am to do, it's either 3 or 8 hours. Can go well without food, drink or rest after 3 hours for a long time. After that it's usually 8 hours of sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast