Thread: ISTp?

Default ISTp?

Hello, I'm a new member and I have already introduced myself in another thread.

I think I could be ISTp because I think I am Si dominant. I am very attuned to my body: I can feel a flu coming way before it does and stop it in time and I just drop "dead" when I am tired regardless of the mounting deadlines. My favorite activity is to jog early in the morning when it is quiet, calm and cool.

I know I could also be ISFp but I don't think that fits me.Unless I am in the company of my good friends, my face is usually blank. Even when I do feel extremely strong emotions, I do not like to express it. Depending on the circumstances, I even find emotional outbursts quite distasteful.

However, I also note that I have some traits uncharacteristic of SLIs. Friends tell me I have a very good hunch about what people are like before I even know them well. I think my Ni could be quite developed because I am usually predict outcomes quite accurately. Apart from these traits, friends tell me that I can look rather intimidating.

As such, I am not even sure that I am SLI to begin with and I think I could be another type whose Si happens to be well developed. I hope to hear your views on my type!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sound like a thinking type.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sound kinda like a me, have you possibly considered INTj? (Not saying necessarily that sounding similar implies similar types, that is, just wondering what your views on being other types were)
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are pretty sure about Fe-polr (point of least resistance)? SLI and ILI share this trait and it means that those types are not willing to express their emotions and are rather even-tempered.

Ni and Si are somewhat opposed information elements (IEs). That means they both can't be used simultaneously because they lead to different solutions for similar problems. If you are a Ni or Si leading type, you always have the other IE as role function, which is still important for your personality.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

We Are Carbon: Hmmm. I don't think I could be an INTj because I do think I have more preference for Te than Ti. I am less inclined to think conceptually, unless I really have to. I am better at responding to problems just as they are rather than coming up with a system of rules to deal with things.

MegaDoomer: I get your point and that is why I am so confused. I guess I need some time to think over it.

Creepy-male

You do sound Si dominant, or alternately Si-HA.

What sort of "emotional outbursts" do you dislike? As an ISFp I agree that I find certain types of emotionality really grate on me, usually people being overdramatic and taking themselves seriously. Light-hearted and silly emotionality is good though, and I'd say this is my calling card when I'm in a comfortable situation with people I'm familiar with. The rest of the time I think I can either be very impassive and withdrawn, or attempting to charm and disarm people by being a goofball out of anxiety (which is not type-related).

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you can identify whether you are N or S without the IEs, but I guess you already tried that. I would ask you if you're rather living your life in the present or if you think about the future/past a lot. Do you want to realize things or do you enjoy to develop theories? ect. btw: I think "big picture person (intuitive) vs. minding the details (sensory)" isn't a very good dichotomy because many intuitives like to take care of the smaller things and sensors are also able to see things from a distance imho.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

The Egbert Human: Like you, I do not dislike all forms of Fe display. I usually dislike those which are emotionally manipulative, like the ones with the girlfriend throwing a hissy fit to get her boyfriend do something, religious leaders (and hosts) creating an emotional atmosphere to "bond" believers (and audiences). I acknowledge it is good to have a pleasant atmosphere where people can feel at ease, but sometimes too much can be a bad thing. In such situations, I almost always get the urge to just walk out, which would probably equally rude of me.

MegaDoomer:I used to think about the past and future a lot. But some things happened a few years ago and that really changed my perspective. I started realising that I should learn to live more in the present. So this seems like a neutral factor.

However, I do prefer realizing things than develop theories. So I suppose I veer towards ISTp than INTp?

Creepy-male

Big picture vs details in terms of sensor vs intuitive is actually best expressed as bottom-up (S) or top-down (N).

Any individual manifests both. Sensors typically build ground-up, though. Creative Sensors will naturally see the connections and overall concepts or bigger picture/context very rapidly, but it's always taking an inductive direction.

I remember an INTj friend of mine comparing the way we think: I'm always really focused on the bits and pieces, and work up from there. The way he thinks is top-down: he'll be thinking of the bigger picture first and then work his way toward or down the gaps in his knowledge.

Also, all introverts are inherently oriented toward the past, all extraverts inherently oriented to the future.

You can think of N/S as being the extent of your time focus. Ni doms will take a very length "past" and extrapolate into the future from there (hence the association between Ni and imaginative explorations of trends and themes and what have you; maybe a Ni dom could come in here and explain it better than me?)

Si doms will tend to look at the past as isolated bits and pieces that they reflect on, and also as such tend to view the future as being unpredictable and uncertain (though, ime, Ni role in myself tends to manifest as being certain of very bleak outcomes, without necessarily being able to consider every possible course for events).

At the end of the day, both IPs will be focused on the past, but Si will look at the past as being more like disconnected events and experiences.

Also, Si's internal sensation library is a direct consequence of its introverted attitude.

I'd like to do a little experiment with you You say you like walks, yes? Tell me if, in your imagination, if you relax, you can form an imaginary scene and experience lots of different recalled sensations.

For example, I can place myself on a beach in my imagination. Hear the sound of waves breaking, feel the sand beneath my skin, the wind moving over me, smell the ocean, etc, etc. I'm not sure if that's Si or being a long-term meditator, though.

Also, how would you describe your inner world? What sorts of things do you do inside your head?

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by perpetuallyhungry View Post
    The Egbert Human: Like you, I do not dislike all forms of Fe display. I usually dislike those which are emotionally manipulative, like the ones with the girlfriend throwing a hissy fit to get her boyfriend do something, religious leaders (and hosts) creating an emotional atmosphere to "bond" believers (and audiences). I acknowledge it is good to have a pleasant atmosphere where people can feel at ease, but sometimes too much can be a bad thing. In such situations, I almost always get the urge to just walk out, which would probably equally rude of me.
    This isn't incompatible with Fe creative. You can consider Fe creatives, having strong Fe, to be highly emotionally literate (like media literate), and thus aware of and potentially resentful or scornful of other people's emotional ploys.

That might not be specific to Fe creative as far as I'm aware, though.

How much do you mean "too much of a good thing" with respect to a "pleasant atmosphere"?

The Egbert Human: Haha! Most likely Si-dominant.

I tried your experiment. There's the faint smell of fertilizer and trees. The sun is just up but the air is still crisp and cold. I feel the wind on my face and the leaves crunching beneath my feet. I find inner peace and feel as though time has stopped.

On your second question, I personally find a pleasant atmosphere conducive for most things. People in such situations tend to be relaxed and are more receptive to ideas, whether you want them as an audience or work together or just have a discussion.

I think creating an atmosphere which is emotionally charged is oppressive because emotions just build on each other such that it becomes some form of emotional diarrhea. It gets too overwhelming for me, which is why I said too much can be a bad thing.