Thread: Suggestibility test

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suggestibility test

Are you easily influenced by what others do and say? If so, you're just the type of person that hypnotists, magicians and mind-readers seek out as you're more likely to fall for their mind tricks.

In this video, psychologist Richard Wiseman gives you the chance to find out how suggestible you are. Give it a go - even the most hardened skeptics might be surprised by the results.
    http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/ns...stibility.html

I'm curious whether others are responsive to this test, because my hands didn't budge.

In a similar vein, the BBC Horizon episode "Is Seeing Believing?" has some really interesting examples of suggestibility and misperception.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    I'm curious whether others are responsive to this test, because my hands didn't budge.
    No, mine didn't budge either.

I'm not susceptible to hypnosis either, as I found out in a group setting in college. My SEE friend, on the other hand, danced like a maniac and said she couldn't remember anything that happened. I was really incredulous about her reaction at the time, because it's difficult to fathom having a mindset that allows the possibility of such influence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really didn't work, because I just couldn't imagine the scenario with enough intensity to make it feel real.

I just imagined a scenario where I was holding my hands that way, but trying to keep them level... yet it didn't affect my actual hands, because I was still aware that physically, those things weren't there. Even with my eyes closed.

Is it sad that I was hoping it would work?

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

lol, my right hand moved down. Am I doing it wrong?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I'm not susceptible to hypnosis either, as I found out in a group setting in college. My SEE friend, on the other hand, danced like a maniac and said she couldn't remember anything that happened.
    I will now add hypnosis instruction books to my reading list.

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i felt like my hands were moving a lot but when i opened my eyes they were still roughly level. they budged a bit, but not enough to be in the suggestible range, like my thumbs would still touch.

i was sort of hoping it would work, too. i've always wanted to try being hypnotized just to see if it would work on me.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    My hands didn't move either.

Though I suspect this isn't a great way of measuring suggestibility per se.

Lol, that Gulenko Cognitive Styles article describes types being on a scale of conditionability and suggestibility.

My hands didn't budge either. I've done this test before when I didn't know beforehand it was a suggestibility test. My hands didn't budge that time either. I figured shortly into it they would test for hand movement or something like that.

Which Cognitive styles would you say are most and least suggestible? I'm too lazy to go through the article right now.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP