Thread: Ne vs Ni

Creepy-male

Default Ne vs Ni

Ne - extraverted. Relationships are assumed to be mutable. Qualities of things are considered to be fixed.

Ni - introverted. Relationships are assumed to be fixed. Qualities of things are mutable.

ESI mum, in a moment of Ni HA: "you have a great brain, but who knows what it'll be used for..."

This is Ni's fixed Intuitive/temporal relationship: The intuitive bodies are "the past", "now" and "in the future". The relationship is of fixed quality: there's some great path for me. That said, the qualities of the "in the future" body are completely unknown in nature.

I suppose the Ne approach would rather be "You're in a really high-potential situation! You've got a good brain that could do any number of really cool or useful things!" Any particular course of action over time is ignored because temporal fields are considered to be changeable in nature. What's focused on are all the different potential outcomes.

(As an aside, HAs are probably really good for studying what functions look like in as pure a way as is possible in a human being, since I think they'll typically be engaged in a way essentially divorced from either DS or PoLR.)

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Ne - extraverted. Relationships are assumed to be mutable. Qualities of things are considered to be fixed.

Ni - introverted. Relationships are assumed to be fixed. Qualities of things are mutable.
    If anything, I perceive Ni/Se as rather skeptical when it comes to assessing the potential qualities of people and things. On the other hand, they seem well aware that relationships are mutable.

I perceive relationships as "hard to change" and qualities as "easy to change (it requires hard work, nonetheless". I think this was written in wikisocion as an example of E vs I.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ESI mum, in a moment of Ni HA: "you have a great brain, but who knows what it'll be used for..."
    Do you see the Ne PoLR in your mom's statement? Excellent post. I LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    If anything, I perceive Ni/Se as rather skeptical when it comes to assessing the potential qualities of people and things. On the other hand, they seem well aware that relationships are mutable.

I perceive relationships as "hard to change" and qualities as "easy to change (it requires hard work, nonetheless". I think this was written in wikisocion as an example of E vs I.
    What do you mean by this? Please give an example.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, that's often one of the weakest points of Ne-polr in ESIs - understanding other people's potential abilities and talents. It's where supervision from the side of IEE can be really visibile. Sometimes even I have to come off strongly in order to make them change their mind. I understand what you mean though - it can be consdered as an indirect way to ask for

Se types are extremely skeptical (too skeptical, I'd say they can't do it all, in my experience - especially ISFjs and ESTps), Ni types can be good at evaluating potential since they do have strong Ne (especially INFps and ENTjs, since they're positivist).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Functions need to be redefined, Ne is not always about potential. It's objective intuition.

For example, types can more likely predict how someone / something is in a neutral sense, like mind reading. Mind reading seems subjective but it's really not. People usually have a common theme of thought, like sex or money troubles, or how much their job sucks.

on the other hand predicts due to unique qualities. It can mind read based on an individual's mode of conduct.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Functions need to be redefined, Ne is not always about potential. It's objective intuition.

For example, types can more likely predict how someone / something is in a neutral sense, like mind reading. Mind reading seems subjective but it's really not. People usually have a common theme of thought, like sex or money troubles, or how much their job sucks.

on the other hand predicts due to unique qualities. It can mind read based on an individual's mode of conduct.
    please clarify...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    please clarify...
    Right now you're at your computer, browsing the internet, refreshing pages and looking for replies. You're probably tired or about to be.

Accurate?
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Right now you're at your computer, browsing the internet, refreshing pages and looking for replies. You're probably tired or about to be.

Accurate?
    YES!!! How did you know?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

I'm just saying, plays around with objective information to make its intuitive leaps, so the stuff that is produced seems wildly accurate, but its only because it's objective.

plays with subjective information so it only seems accurate or makes sense to those who've had previous experience.

Gypsies, mind readers etc have all probably been Ego.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Creepy-female

I suppose the Ne approach would rather be "You're in a really high-potential situation! You've got a good brain that could do any number of really cool or useful things!"
    These examples didn't stand out for me so much functionally as, the first one sounds in general as rather negative to hear from one's mother, while the latter gives an impression of positivity and encouragement.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

lol

I'm just saying, plays around with objective information to make its intuitive leaps, so the stuff that is produced seems wildly accurate, but its only because it's objective.

plays with subjective information so it only seems accurate or makes sense to those who've had previous experience.
    LOL I know

I like this explanation a lot.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

lol

Gypsies, mind readers etc have all probably been Ego.
    We follow objects around just like Se types, except we can't see the object for it's surface qualities we see it for something in potential of it's qualities. For instance an Se might look at a brick and say it has these feature, rectangle, dark copper color, rough course etc...

I look at a brick and say, it can be used for building a house and for grinding and making into cement, etc. I don't care much about what it actually is.

Same with people. Because Ne/Si go together I might like or be attracted to someone for other than their looks, but more for their potential. I would say my SLI X was average looking to me, most women were really drawn to him, but to me it was the potential he held as an individual who could work hard and succeed at something with me.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    These examples didn't stand out for me so much functionally as, the first one sounds in general as rather negative to hear from one's mother, while the latter gives an impression of positivity and encouragement.
    Really? I think it's quite a positive message. That's what mums are for. I just get more excited over being told that I have potential rather being told that I have some great and unforseeable destiny.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    That's not true. I ruthlessly size up the potential of everyone and everything I come into contact with. I recognize promising people and ideas when I see them, and dismiss incapable people and stupid ideas.
    Of couse Ni/Se see possibilities: imagine an entrepeneur (gamma NT, for instance) thinking about setting a new business. What I think Se/Ni do not "accept" is the possibility of someone regarded as "having x trait" being able to develop "y trait or z trait".
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Of couse Ni/Se see possibilities: imagine an entrepeneur (gamma NT, for instance) thinking about setting a new business. What I think Se/Ni do not "accept" is the possibility of someone regarded as "having x trait" being able to develop "y trait or z trait".
    Se and Ni are great at recognizing potential, but especially being supportive of your endeavors because they provide more positive feedback to bubble you up, inflate your ego, make you feel strong, make you feel like that mountain is yours and you can go get it