Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Accepting

  1. #1
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Accepting

    1. Which do you accept easier, perceptions or assessments?
    2. Do you tend to trust your own perceptions over those of someone else or do you tend to attempt to meet both perceptions?
    3. Do you tend to trust your own assessments over someone else's or do you tend to attempt to meet both assessments?

    (2&3 probably need to be reworded)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  2. #2
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am a person who easily accepts the perceptions of others. I see life as being filled with various perceptions. "There is no truth, there is only perception." (I am aware, of course, that this is my perception, and that not everyone perceives "truth" in this way. )

    While I will gladly incorporate secondhand descriptions from someone else's perceptions, and modify my own assessments from that, I will absolutely not accept their assessments as my own, even if they are in a position of authority on the subject. (Telling me "No, You're wrong" or "X is THIS not THAT" only encourages me to review my assessment for errors, it doesn't directly affect my assessment. Describing what you perceived of the subject, however, holds more weight.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NiFe
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    =)

  4. #4
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    I am a person who easily accepts the perceptions of others. I see life as being filled with various perceptions. "There is no truth, there is only perception." (I am aware, of course, that this is my perception, and that not everyone perceives "truth" in this way. )
    You're also aware that this line of thinking regresses ad infinitum?

    Because you necessarily have to state that the truth for you it's that there is only perception and no truth, therefore contradicting yourself. No matter which claim you try to use in order to refute this contradiction, the claim itself will be your truth, leading back to the conrtradiction.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IEI subtype

  6. #6
    Creepy-

    Default Re: Accepting

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    1. Which do you accept easier, perceptions or assessments?
    2. Do you tend to trust your own perceptions over those of someone else or do you tend to attempt to meet both perceptions?
    3. Do you tend to trust your own assessments over someone else's or do you tend to attempt to meet both assessments?

    (2&3 probably need to be reworded)
    I 'think' I know what you are getting at.

    As for myself, I'm an assesment person. (though it should be noted that) Maintaining proper alignment is essential to sound assements, though -- just like if your head moves around too much while swinging at home plate, then you will have a hard time making contact with the incoming pitch. (Baseball).

    Heh, perhaps not the clearest metaphor, given the topic, but hopefully it gets the point across.


    I have come to understand the value of understanding others means for perception and assesement, though of course, the real judgement to make is my own.

  7. #7
    emeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    You're also aware that this line of thinking regresses ad infinitum?

    Because you necessarily have to state that the truth for you it's that there is only perception and no truth, therefore contradicting yourself. No matter which claim you try to use in order to refute this contradiction, the claim itself will be your truth, leading back to the conrtradiction.
    I'll see your Hofstadter, and raise you a Goedel
    XXXx <-- almost a beer

  8. #8
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    I am a person who easily accepts the perceptions of others. I see life as being filled with various perceptions. "There is no truth, there is only perception." (I am aware, of course, that this is my perception, and that not everyone perceives "truth" in this way. )
    You're also aware that this line of thinking regresses ad infinitum?

    Because you necessarily have to state that the truth for you it's that there is only perception and no truth, therefore contradicting yourself. No matter which claim you try to use in order to refute this contradiction, the claim itself will be your truth, leading back to the conrtradiction.

    Gustave Flaubert wrote the maxim, not I. I heard it once, and it stuck in my head.

    It stuck in my head because it seems to very closely fit my own views…my own perceptions….or, as a truth monger would put it…my own truths.

    I don't consider it a truth, though, as at some point, I might very well perceive a conflicting "truth". In which case, I will either accept them both as possibilities, (the trunk, and the ear), or work towards perceiving the elephant.

    However. . . I am not such a fool as to think that I could ever perceive the elephant in it's entirety.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •