Thread: Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon

I thought it was very Se/Ni in theme. This idea that there's an overarching plan and that one action leads to another with little adjustments here and there. And that through the power of your will, you can change that plan in the end. Very cool. I liked it.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you like Hereafter?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-bg

It was adapted from a Philip K Dick short story. I haven't seen it, but it looks like they changed it and hollywoodized it. I'll probably still see it though when it hits cable just because I love Philip K Dick and have a sick desire to see how badly they adapt his stories (or I guess a deep seated hope that they'll do an adaptation of his right someday.

in the short story the adjustment bureau worked for/was headed by God and had all the dogs of the world working for them as well, did they keep any of that in the movie? also the story was about a kind of isolated, in a routine marriage regular guy, who just stumbles upon the adjustment bureau changing his office one day when he ignored his dog barking and a delivery man who was supposed to make him late for work while they were "adjusting" downtown. from the ads it looked like they turned it into some sort of epic romance plot with government adjustment goons working to keep him and some woman apart.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I'll probably still see it though when it hits cable
    It may hit torrents first.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    It may hit torrents first.
    MPAA sent a nasty email to all the accounts attached to my cable provider account a few years ago, my dad nearly broke my door down when he read it. lol I stay away from using torrents for movies now.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL bg

Creepy-bg

heh the stupid part was that it was The Big Lebowski which I had on videotape, I was just too high/strung out to sit in the family room where the VCR (and my family) was to watch it out there.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    in the short story the adjustment bureau worked for/was headed by God and had all the dogs of the world working for them as well, did they keep any of that in the movie? also the story was about a kind of isolated, in a routine marriage regular guy, who just stumbles upon the adjustment bureau changing his office one day when he ignored his dog barking and a delivery man who was supposed to make him late for work while they were "adjusting" downtown. from the ads it looked like they turned it into some sort of epic romance plot with government adjustment goons working to keep him and some woman apart.
    yeah, that's basically what it is.

i think this movie seemed possibly Beta-ish to me, because of what redbaron said in the OP - the fatalistic themes, the idea of resisting your fate and risking everything to do so, against all odds - also because of the "epic romance" passionate style of love that was portrayed between David and Alise. it was "all or nothing" for them.

as a side note, i think Matt Damon and Emily Blunt had really great chemistry in the movie. it made the scenes in which they were interacting really believable and enjoyable to watch.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I thought it was very Se/Ni in theme. This idea that there's an overarching plan and that one action leads to another with little adjustments here and there. And that through the power of your will, you can change that plan in the end. Very cool. I liked it.
    To sort of bring this point home, I too really liked the movie but for a DIFFERENT message that I got from it:

Basically, the moral of the story for me was that if everything seems to be working against two people being with each other, it could be because each one is destined for something greater, for something with much more impact to humanity. I actually felt kind of sad that they gave up the incredible opportunities they had to make the world a better place, just to be with each other. I relate, and i know love can do that to people, but it was a little tragic imo.

This message was quite comforting to me, personally, but in the sense that I SHOULDN'T work too hard to make something work if it isn't happening, nor should i fret too much about it.

It's interesting to see the beta vs delta takes on it.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WA, at the end of the movie i was under the impression that their "plans" were re-written and adjusted so that they could still have those incredible opportunities AND still be together. before their plans were re-written, they would have had to choose between having one of them and not having the other.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    WA, at the end of the movie i was under the impression that their "plans" were re-written and adjusted so that they could still have those incredible opportunities AND still be together. before their plans were re-written, they would have had to choose between having one of them and not having the other.
    Oh could be...i forgot already. Then it wasn't tragic, it was just lucky or something, but that point obviously wasn't as important to me as that message i got from the movie in general.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a side note, i think Matt Damon and Emily Blunt had really great chemistry in the movie. it made the scenes in which they were interacting really believable and enjoyable to watch.
    oh yeah, i thought so too. Very good pairing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same. Also, I found myself chuckling out loud at their cute interaction.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6/10 better than average but only slightly. I would say they didn't have particularly great chemistry and that the film was anti-climatic. Similar to Green Zone with MATT DAMON but more abstract explanation and God/Deus ex themes.