Thread: Schemas

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Schemas

From Schema therapy, devised by Jeffrey Young. The idea goes that "schemas are formed as a result of the interplay between a child's temperament and the difficulties she confronts in her environment."

"Schemas may be dormant for much of one's life, only becoming activated by particular conditions that either mimic or challenge the unyielding believs embodied in the schema. ... They are often connected with painful childhood memories, discreetly sheltered within the brain, and e xperienced as visceral, in that they are sensed. ... Because they emerge outside of awareness sand therefore aren't based on present, here-and-now events, the profound and often exaggerated resonance of the schema will frequently lead to self-defeating behavior patterns.

Here they are, the first nine of eighteen total early maladaptive schemas:

1. Abandonment/Instability

The perceived instability or unreliability of those available for support or connection. Involves the sense that significant others will not be able to continue providing emotional support, connection, strength, or practical protection because they are emotionally unstable and unpredictable (for example, angry outbursts), unreliable, or erratically present; because they will die imminently; or because they will abandon you in favor of someone better.

2. Mistrust/Abuse

The expectation that others will hurt, abuse, humiliate, cheat, lie, manipulate, or take advantage. Usually involves the perception that the harm is intentional or the result of unjustified and extreme negligence. May include the sense that you always end up being cheated relative to others or that you are "getting the short end of the stick."

3. Emotional Deprivation

The expectation that others will not adequately meet your desire for a normal degree of emotional support. There are three major forms of deprivation:

A. Deprivation of nurturance: absence of attention, affection, warmth, or companionship
    B. Deprivation of empathy: absence of understanding, listening, self-disclosure, or mutual sharing of feelings from others
    C. Deprivation of protection: absence of strength, direction, or guidance from others

4. Defectiveness/shame

The feeling that you are defective, bad, unwanted, inferior, or invalid in important respects; or that you would be unlovable to significant others if exposed. May involve hypersensitivity to criticism, rejection, and blame; self-consciousness, comparisons, and insecurity around others; or a sense of shame regarding your perceived flaws. These flaws may be private (for example, selfishness, angry impulses, or unacceptable sexual desires) or public (such as undesirable physical appearance or social awkwardness).

5. Social Isolation/Alienation

The feeling that you are isolated from the rest of the world, different from other people, and/or not part of any group or community.

6. Dependence/Incompetence

Belief that you are unable to handle everyday responsibilities in a competent manner without considerable help from others (for example, take care of yourself, solve daily problems, exercise good judgment, tackle new tasks, or make good decisions). Often feels like helplessness.

7. Vulnerability to Harm or Illness

Exaggerated fear that imminent catastrophe will strike at any time and that you will be unable to prevent it. Fears focus on one or more of the following: medical catastrophes, such as heart attacks or AIDS; emotional catastrophes, such as "going crazy"; external catastrophes, such as elevators collapsing, being victimized by criminals, airplane crashes, or earthquakes.

8. Enmeshment/Undeveloped Self

Excessive emotional involvement and closeness with one or more significant others (often parents), at the expense of your individual identify or normal social development. Often involves the belief that you cannot survive or be happy without the constant support of the enmeshed other. May also include feelings of being smothered by or fused with others. You may feel a lack of sufficient individual identity. Often experienced as a feeling of emptiness and floundering, having no direction, or in extreme cases questioning your existence.

9. Failure

The belief that you have failed, will inevitably fail, or are fundamentally in adequate relative to your peers in areas of achievement (such as school, career, sports). Often involves beliefs that you are stupid, inept, untalented, ignorant, lower in status, less successful than others, and so on.

- - - -

I'll type in the other nine later.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Most of these seem like a person that might seem 'pessimistic' to others but just sounds very realistic. It's really hard to know who to trust in this world. Because it changes. People who you really love can let you down and even break your heart. The relationship can be repaired but sometimes it can't. That is just the unfortunate reality.

After seeing the way the world bullies people from even at age 5 or so, I knew that I couldn't trust my feelings or even my last name with most people lol. I couldn't trust them with much of ANYTHING, really. I knew I had to look out for #1. But that was just 'common sense to me.' I saw the fake sociopathic way they try to build society but how they also didn't really give a shit. The lies they'd tell for their own self-image. Then I came on the internet and found more or less like-minded people, and I opened up about stuff with them. But technically, the whole outside world can read what I write here as well.

Oh well. 'The world' can kiss my ass. =D

I agree #9 is unhealthy though. It sounds like that person is just trying to do something that maybe they're not naturally meant to do. I always knew I was a writer/artist even when I was like 2 years old, so I try to stick with that. You should only try to professionally and seriously compete in something you already are naturally good at lol.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

5. Social Isolation/Alienation

The feeling that you are isolated from the rest of the world, different from other people, and/or not part of any group or community.
    Again this is called being Intelligent and Smart. I'm part of the gay community, and the 'weirdo artistic community' probably, and I'm heavily involved in celebrity culture, but I'm not really ever 100% involved in these groups because that would be giving up my own unique independence and original perspectives. So I like what those communities have to offer me sometimes, but if they do something I strongly disagree with that I does feel isolate me, I'm not supposed to say anything about it?

Sometimes we exclude others indirectly, not meaning to, thinking we're being the good guys, but we do it anyway. And we shouldn't say 'that person is having a schema' or whatever, labeling that person, when it was our snobby stuck up asses that is the reason they feel excluded in the first place! haha.

I'm not going to pretend and get along with a group of people if they really aren't considering my feelings. I'm going to cut myself off from that social group and I'm going to go to where I'm more welcome instead. If that social group that I removed myself then wants to say that I was 'being difficult and acting like I couldn't fit in anywhere' then they're blaming the victim, and not putting the proper sort of responsibility on themselves.

Then to try and project their guilt, they create psychology text books and manuals about how I was the bad guy and 'my own worst enemy' but really, I just didn't want to be part of their douchebag social group.

I don't want to sound too bitter/angry so I'll just say a 'social group' is primarily something that each individual defines for themselves.... I guess you really can't complain much, because if you don't like anything you see, well then you can lead and create what you do wanna see. People who add to their victimization annoy me a lot. We already have so many choices in this country, and we're really spoiled, really the last thing anybody needs to do is complain about anything, or label anybody with anything. They need to suck up their own projections and help people as much as possible. But that's too ideal I know. haha
    Last edited by bnd; 03-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, keep in mind that these schemas are used only to point to maladaptive cognition, because they are used therapeutically. They describe the primary ways in which people are unconsciously triggered to act against their own best interests. Any of these might very well have a positive, conscious manifestation, too, but that isn't what they were developed to address.