Thread: What's my type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's my type?

ALERT! Long post. Trying to give as much as I can. Written from the heart.

Hey guys. I'm 23 years old, male, from Belgium. Facebook

I'm wondering what my type is, so I'll talk about myself a bit.

Part A: wall of text

I'm always engulfed in thought, although I often try to act funny around people. I'm aware of that. Guess it's because I seek approval of some kind, because I haven't really found anyone (besides my brother) whose logic and thinking process is the same as mine. It gets to me sometimes. I want to find people like me. But the closest I have now, are people who like me. Can't blame my friends, they're who they are.

The past 2 years I've been feeling more and more uncertain about who I really am. In high school I had a few good friends whom I spent all my time with. They, however, were mostly interested in stuff in which I wasn't interested, like partying (too loud, can't talk), drinking (although I see the point now, and I drink a beer from time to time).

My friend Kenny always took me here and there, but often I didn't want to go. I was just happy that he wanted to take me, and eventually, I had a decent time. I just never saw the need to go to smokey, loud and fuzzy parties. I enjoy a game night a lot more. In fact, as a hobby, I'm a creator of sorts. My website http://enedin.be is an example of that.

My best work isn't on there, gonna rewrite that website in the summer. Anyway, I like creating things. K'Nex (I'm 23, but I enjoy making complex things with K'Nex, although I get bored easily, and then move on to another project), games (see website), graphic design, simple music, piano etc.

I like building things, modifying things as well, improving things. I'm always thinking, everywhere, about anything. A few examples:

- Through some weird spasm of the brain, I often think about math problems. Like, thinking about complex numbers. Trying to visualize i. Analyzing the beauty of math, and knowing how it works. I like to know how things work. Either I wanna know it all, or I do not wanna know anything.

- I started thinking about making a K'Nex ball, until I realized that it was never gonna be perfectly symmetrical. For a few hours I was twisting my brain, trying to find it, all the while doing something else! I'm ALWAYS doing multiple things at a time. Whenever I can focus all of my brain power into one thing, I get extraordinary results. Anyway, I finally found it, but the design was awkward to put together. Only when the final layer was brought in, was it stable. But then again, it's VERY stable. Lateral thinking, I like.

Etc, etc. Always thinking.

I try to do more lately. Stop thinking, and just do. It's hard, but it works. Although I get bored with things quickly, and I get thinking again. What's the OPTIMAL pattern for (a) driving my grandmother to the supermarket, (b) stopping by home (I live with my parents, am a student), (c) picking up my friend and (d) eating? I think about this in the car with the music on (no lyrics when I'm thinking, I think by talking to myself!) and finally I come up with the most efficient scheme.

And that makes me happy. So what makes me happy? Solving problems. I've found multiple times that I've invented a solution to a problem, only to find that it ALREADY EXISTS!! Even as a child, my parents shared my enthusiasm, and now I find out that it's no longer an issue. Oh well.

Once I have something figured out, I usually drop it. Like the game (website) I've made: spent 3-4 years on it, learned a lot on the way, and recently started thinking about remaking graphics for it. But I know how I'm gonna do it all, I know PERFECTLY how I'm gonna do it, and thus I don't do it. I added a level maker though, and I did that because it was completely new, but my brain told me I could do it.

And I did! Made me happy. Anyway, I'm a student in Graphical and Digital Media, but it's such a versatile educational package, that I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do. I have the feeling that I'm always looking, seeking. My reactions to a few headlines (oh yeah: I skip from A to B quite often, and nobody follows me, I hate it) :

- "8 year old girl eaten by father."
    My reaction: wow, that's messed up.

- "22 year old man crashes and kills himself and 3 friends, reports say he was DUI."
    My reaction: how stupid can you be, driving while under the influence of drugs. If you wanna drive, FINE, don't bring friends along. No respect.

- "56% of women say they would cheat on their husband."
    My reaction: how many women were interviewed? Only women who read a certain magazine? Probably. 'nuff said, not statistically relevant.

Thins that annoy me: people not standing up for themselves, people ignoring their feelings (like my friend Fred who has a fat ugly girlfriend. She can be fat and ugly, I don't care, as long as he feels good when he's with her. Well, he doesn't, but he doesn't admit it. We've known him since we were 6, so we can tell. I hate that, FRED! Just BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!)

More things that annoy me: people believing something that is proven false. My girlfriend, whom I'm having doubts about, and I told her, it's a bit of a bad situation atm. I don't think we fit together. Oh well. Anyway, my girlfriend does this all the time. If the scientific FACTS are there, there is no more dispute if the research has been conducted in a scientific and statistically correct way.

My girlfriend forms an opinion about anything, pretty much instant. She refuses to give it more thought. I'm the total opposite. I do not want to have an opinion unless I know enough to judge. I hate that about her, I've told her that, she denies it.

Things I like: a laid back house party, having my friends around me, even though I'm not fully myself around anyone, people don't understand my thinking process enough to be interested I think, so I just tag along most of the time. It's energy-consuming, but I don't wanna be alone.

More things I like: honest people, various kinds of music, math, the piano, programming, design, the deeper truth about things. (I hate how my girlfriend is shallow, because she doesn't think further. She forms an opinion too rapidly). I like knowing things, searching things, finding things and finding NEW things to be interested in.

My life has been characterized by periods of insane productivity and by periods of laidbackness. I try to find the balance, because I sometimes think I could have bipolar disorder, but there are worse things out there!

On the outside I'm cheery and happy, making jokes and trying to act funny. On the inside, I'm thinking deeply about everything, people and things alike, and wondering about numbers, letters and words that intrigue me that day.

PS: At parties, I'm always the first one to leave. I just don't get it. I want to get to know someone on the inside, not be shallow and get tipsy and move my body against her. What kind of reliable info is that?

Oh yeah! I'm always the planner and organizer for things I like. I know it'll get done correctly, and people know I can take good care of stuff like that.

To be honest, all I want to find in life at the moment, is someone like me. I'd really like to meet myself.

About humor: I like absurd humor. Airplane!, The Naked Gun, A Fish Called Wanda (also humor that requires some thinking, I don't like it when things get handed to me on a silver platter), I also enjoy Photoshopping friends and stuff on other pics. I'm currently reading about NLP. Which isn't about humor. Which actually makes that comment a bit funny. See how I have a weird sense of humor. My girlfriend thinks it's lame. I think she's lame.

I like playing RPG's, Metal Gear Solid and Ratchet and Clank. The game I enjoy the most is Micro Machines multiplayer vs 4 or 5 of my friends. We all enjoy it a lot.

I get why people believe in God, but it's (scientifically speaken) highly unlikely. I don't judge people for their religion, although I like to challenge their own views and get them to a part where they say "huh". Although they are usually too stubborn to say that In return, I allow them to tell me about their views, as I think that one's perspective is more important than the actual thing we're looking at. We all have filters.

Part B: media.

2006. Listening to music while the designated guy for that day is making food.

2006. Swimming with my friends in France.

2006. Guy took a picture after yelling "JAN!", and what you see is actual surprise.

2009, trying to look cool on purpose. I like this pic.

1992 or so? Not sure. It's old! Me and my bros.

2010. Fooling around on vacation.

2007. Wearing my new fake Umbr™o shirt!

2006 I think. My bro, me and my dad.

2007. Me and my best friend at the time in Spain.

2007. Wondering what to eat for breakfast.

2010. Wearing 2 safety jackets allows me to float on the water. Awesome idea!

2010. One of my favorite pics. I'm the only one wearing a helmet and my jacket, but I never took 'em off. Can't stand the sun anyway.

2010. My mom, me, my bro 1, my bro 2 and my dad. Soccer tournament.

2007. @karting, we just exited and sweating all over the place.

2010. Best group pic of that vacation.

2010. Raising the glass (it was my turn) to a song sung in local culture.

2006. Fooling around with my bro's girlfriend at the time.

2010. Gonna play mini-soccer.

2010. Eating McDonald's. I love the occasional crap.

2010. I'm the only one who was brave enough to go sing a song in a karaoke at the camping we were at. Was fun!

2010. I really like this, I seem really happy. I also was very happy. We're doing that same trip again this year, but with more people. I won't be the same, but it'll still be great. And I'm organizing it, as people expect of me. I don't mind, it allows me to keep things in check and make sure we're prepared.

That's me, and I have an idea about my type, but I'm not sure. Can you help me?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going with LSE. Have you put any thought into what type you might be?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I figured I was something along the lines of ILE, LIE and ILI, but I'm fairly new to this. I'm still reading about the Socionics' way of typing, I'm more familiar with ENTP and ENTJ.

I'm not too sure about LSE, reading this doesn't exactly describe me that well I think. I'd like to know what makes you say LSE.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    I'm not too sure about LSE, reading this doesn't exactly describe me that well I think. I'd like to know what makes you say LSE.
    That link is an MBTI description. Here are a few Socionics ESTj descriptions:

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...nsing_Extratim
    http://www.socionics.com/prof/estj.htm
    http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/index.html

Though, personally, I am not ready to jump on the ESTj wagon yet...ILE or SLE or even LIE may also be possibilities...though I'm thinking maybe Ep temerament more than Ej temperament...
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    That link is an MBTI description. Here are a few Socionics ESTj descriptions:

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...nsing_Extratim
    http://www.socionics.com/prof/estj.htm
    http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/index.html

Though, personally, I am not ready to jump on the ESTj wagon yet...ILE or SLE or even LIE may also be possibilities...though I'm thinking maybe Ep temerament more than Ej temperament...
    Wow, thanks for these links! LSE makes more sense now. Things I don't agree with are sense of duty and traditional values. I'm either lazy and very messy and disorganized, or either very hard working and structured as much as I can (though I often tend to forget about the grand scheme when I'm too into something). But in general, those links provide info about LSE types that describe me in a fairly accurate way, most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    After reading the previous poster's links, I agree with LSE a lot more than I originally did. Unexpected as well.

Although stuff like this "In general ESTjs are very careful and cautious with their clothes. Their clothing is always neat and clean. They may keep clothes for a long time and know well how to preserve them. Even if some items are quite old they still may look like new. ESTjs do not like untidiness and carelessness in their appearance and in general. Trousers are always ironed, shoes polished, etc." is pretty far from the truth, sadly, I would give a lot to be more careful and tidy.

Then again, other stuff is spot-on, like "ESTjs like to ask questions and find out facts. They do not accept foggy answers, demanding concrete data." How do you guys deal with this; do you give a certain percentage to how much someone is a type?

Like, say, someone is 70% LIE and 30% ISI. Remember I'm coming from the MBTI world, Socionics is new to me. Is this possible?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing is pretty subjective, and we'll all see things based on our experiences. You know yourself best and in the end you should type yourself. But this is what jumped out at me that made me think maybe LSE.

I like building things, modifying things as well, improving things.
    Maybe Te + Si

Through some weird spasm of the brain, I often think about math problems. Like, thinking about complex numbers. Trying to visualize i. Analyzing the beauty of math, and knowing how it works. I like to know how things work. Either I wanna know it all, or I do not wanna know anything.
    The first part goes toward Ti, but the second part could be Te.

- I started thinking about making a K'Nex ball, until I realized that it was never gonna be perfectly symmetrical. For a few hours I was twisting my brain, trying to find it, all the while doing something else! I'm ALWAYS doing multiple things at a time. Whenever I can focus all of my brain power into one thing, I get extraordinary results. Anyway, I finally found it, but the design was awkward to put together. Only when the final layer was brought in, was it stable. But then again, it's VERY stable. Lateral thinking, I like.
    OK that is sounding maybe more Ti, and Ne as well, so maybe Alpha.

More things that annoy me: people believing something that is proven false. My girlfriend, whom I'm having doubts about, and I told her, it's a bit of a bad situation atm. I don't think we fit together. Oh well. Anyway, my girlfriend does this all the time. If the scientific FACTS are there, there is no more dispute if the research has been conducted in a scientific and statistically correct way.
    But then this, and the headline reactions, sounds maybe Te to me.

I try to do more lately. Stop thinking, and just do. It's hard, but it works. Although I get bored with things quickly, and I get thinking again. What's the OPTIMAL pattern for (a) driving my grandmother to the supermarket, (b) stopping by home (I live with my parents, am a student), (c) picking up my friend and (d) eating? I think about this in the car with the music on (no lyrics when I'm thinking, I think by talking to myself!) and finally I come up with the most efficient scheme.

And that makes me happy. So what makes me happy? Solving problems. I've found multiple times that I've invented a solution to a problem, only to find that it ALREADY EXISTS!!
    Te? and the second paragraph sounds a lot like my SLI husband, so maybe Te+Si, and then maybe Ej temperament as well, and Ne valuing.

Anyway, I've been interrupted five times putting children to bed and then putting them back to bed while writing this. I only have two children, and I dont' know what's up with them tonight. But this has been hard enough to go through and I won't be able to get into it any more at this point. I don't think it's 100% LSE anyway, and again we're all biased and I'm delta so I'm biased reading things from that perspective, but it sounds more than than anything else to me at this point. Just one perspective here, do with it what you will.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO that wall of text + everything else had a huge ENTp (ILE) vibe.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

istp
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You seem very weird, a little mean, and kinda crazy and borderline narcissistic.

But it's okay, we're all fucked up here, so welcome to the family!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely an irrational logical type (XXTp).

Which of the Quadras do you feel you identify with most? And would you describe yourself as more of a Pragmatist or a Researcher?
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@slacker, thanks for that extensive reply

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    You seem very weird, a little mean, and kinda crazy and borderline narcissistic.

But it's okay, we're all fucked up here, so welcome to the family!
    Haha, fantastic

---

Answer to Sir Knight's question...

I read both Pragmatists and Researchers. I lean more towards the researchers group. Also because this sentence is 100% me: "Researchers are inclined to perceive Socials as essentially empty-headed and boring in their interests, but also to regard them with some jealousy due to their usual greater facility for social interaction and forming relationships, also romantic ones. "

I feel more in the Alpha quadrant than anywhere else. It's amazing how you read something and feel connected with almost everything it says. That would make me ILE or ENTp.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was thinking Alpha as well, but hey, I can be wrong.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I believe you use Ni-Se - you optimize things with respect to time, right? shortest route to get somewhere, cover most area in least amount of time?
    Also Ti - your logic seems to be private, your own, you think to yourself "how stupid can one be" but on the outside you aren't that critical with people i.e. you're colder in your thinking inside (Ti - introverted logic) and warmer in your interaction on the outside (Fe extraverted feeling).

So your two functional pairs would be Ni-Se and Ti-Fe. This would be beta: EIE IEI SLE and LSI. Because you say you are more in your head thinking of conceptual stuff and doing less I would class you as intuitive, thus EIE or IEI.

See if you agree with these descriptions:
    http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=ENFj (EIE)
    http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=INFp (IEI)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I somewhat agree with EIE, but it sounds like the EIE is a dreamy type, which I'm not often. I have my dreamy periods though. I strongly agree with this though: "The EIE will feel empty and restless if he is in a situation where he is expected to just chill out and have a good time; he would feel that this undermines his devotion to realizing his abstract visions."

I cannot chill out. I'm always thinking, even under influence. Thinking about grand schemes and categorizing people. That's how I got to know MBTI, I was pretty sure that thinking and feeling were opposites, and the rest is MBTI, Jung and now Socionics.

I agree with IEI somewhat as well though. For now I'm agreeing with ILE the most, but IEI and EIE aren't too far off either.

@octopuslove: thanks for the in-depth analysis! I'm not too familiar with most terms just yet, so it takes me a while to understand all that thoroughly. I make efficient schemes, but I throw them away or forget about them easily. It's weird, it's like making the schemes is the goal, not using them.

And yes, I love internet meme's. And yes, I see knowing and searching things as one of the defining activities of myself.

And as always, a continuous stream of thanks! to everyone posting here.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    I somewhat agree with EIE, but it sounds like the EIE is a dreamy type, which I'm not often. I have my dreamy periods though. I strongly agree with this though: "The EIE will feel empty and restless if he is in a situation where he is expected to just chill out and have a good time; he would feel that this undermines his devotion to realizing his abstract visions."
    I dunno about "dreamy type". I've known a few EIEs and they were pretty grounded in reality but at the same time they favored conceptual thinking. One is a professor at a local university here, studies sensors in insects and other animals then his research groups tried to develop chips that can emulate these. Other EIE I've gotten to know is in the army. He occupies some high-up position, kind of secretive about what he does there (I'm guessing army secrets). He gets deployed often. Third EIE I know is a news anchor. He enjoys sailing, sports in general, and hanging out with his large extended family. I wouldn't say they are particularly dreamy but all three are very good at organizing people together.

Btw do you prefer to plan? Are you more comfortable with being able to predict the future and follow through some plan towards end result? Or are you instead more focused on the present moment, do you value process more than result, do you prefer not to be restricted by any such plans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    Btw do you prefer to plan? Are you more comfortable with being able to predict the future and follow through some plan towards end result? Or are you instead more focused on the present moment, do you value process more than result, do you prefer not to be restricted by any such plans?
    The thing is, I often plan in my head loosely. Like, I'll say that I'll go to the mall after school to pick up this or that, but in the end I don't do it. I don't like too much planning, it restricts me.

On the other hand, I can't stand not knowing what's coming entirely. It's a bit like autism, if that makes it clearer. Once something was set out to do (like going swimming with friends, and they all agreed) and nobody shows up, I get angry.

I guess I'm loose planner. I'll say stuff like: "ok guys, we have 4 hours, you work on that, me on that, you on that and once we're done we'll see what else we can do." It's not a plan, but also not not a plan either.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll go with ILE.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I'll go with ILE.
    After reading all the replies and links provided here, I'll go with ILE too. It's the one I feel describes me the best. Unless someone has a new insight, or would like to add something else, I consider this a solved case!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my story, you're good people.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You're from Belgium, like me :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post