Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: falling in love with a dual

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default falling in love with a dual

I don't recommend it. unless there's a really good chance of things working out. because if it's doomed to failure for whatever reason, it hurts more than normal. you stand to lose so much.

I guess B&D would say that you should always remain open to being hurt and that's part of life. And I agree with that in theory. But it also takes a lot of energy to recover from a broken heart. And, life is short. Well, it's long. But it's also short. And maybe there are other things to spend energy on.

A dual is good for personal growth so maybe in the end you can rationalize that it wasn't for naught. After all, something doesn't have to last forever to have been worthwhile.

why is there a hello kitty smilie?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when is anything ever "doomed to failure?"

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote this a while ago after reflecting on some things:

If you're afraid to love, then you're afraid to live,
    If you're afraid to live, then you're afraid of death,
    If you're afraid of death, then you're afraid of peace.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    that's a fair question. Maybe I should have said "wrought with complications". And I will pm you. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-female

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know what you mean. Every time I've had a broken heart I've come out of it stronger, but, idk, maybe a little more jaded and defensive too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    awww dolphin that made me smile! thanks!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-female

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    awww dolphin that made me smile! thanks!
    I was aiming for 50 kitties! The coding messed up but it actually made it kinda pretty.

Romantic connections hurt.

I link you to nice emo article. But you be in sound psychological health before you read it, kay? No sharp objects, grasshopper. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...g-relationship

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recommend it. unless there's a really good chance of things working out. because if it's doomed to failure for whatever reason, it hurts more than normal. you stand to lose so much.

I guess B&D would say that you should always remain open to being hurt and that's part of life. And I agree with that in theory. But it also takes a lot of energy to recover from a broken heart. And, life is short. Well, it's long. But it's also short. And maybe there are other things to spend energy on.

A dual is good for personal growth so maybe in the end you can rationalize that it wasn't for naught. After all, something doesn't have to last forever to have been worthwhile.

Spanish motto: "You don't love whom you want to love, but whom you can't help loving".

English motto: "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all".
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Spanish motto: "You don't love whom you want to love, but whom you can't help loving".
    I like this.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is this any different from falling in love with anybody else? Love is love regardless of who it's with, so to be broken up from that state is always gonna suck.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsghost View Post

What about falling in love with a semi-dual?

(i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English motto: "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all".
    I like those. I hadn't heard the Spanish one before.

Here's something C. S. Lewis wrote:
    “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell."
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    How is this any different from falling in love with anybody else? Love is love regardless of who it's with, so to be broken up from that state is always gonna suck.
    Some say not every love is equal and not every crush is as breathtaking as others. The more you lose the more it hurts I guess?
    It would make sense to have the deepest love for one's dual, and failing there would be very bad, no?

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=redbaron;746995]I don't recommend it. unless there's a really good chance of things working out. because if it's doomed to failure for whatever reason, it hurts more than normal. you stand to lose so much.[QUOTE]

... yeah. b/c when it falls apart you're left broken and worse off than before..atleast for a time. Maybe you learn from it, hopefully you do, but when your dual is rare...and slim chance of finding another one.. when it was more about the person rather than the supposed "duality" anyways..

but life gets in the way and things are hard and you realize you aren't compatibile in some important ways... and that's it. it's over.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I was aiming for 50 kitties! The coding messed up but it actually made it kinda pretty.

Romantic connections hurt.

I link you to nice emo article. But you be in sound psychological health before you read it, kay? No sharp objects, grasshopper. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...g-relationship
    love that. esp this line: Young, you learn that even endlessness comes to an end, that light and air return.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    ... yeah. b/c when it falls apart you're left broken and worse off than before..atleast for a time. Maybe you learn from it, hopefully you do, but when your dual is rare...and slim chance of finding another one.. when it was more about the person rather than the supposed "duality" anyways..

but life gets in the way and things are hard and you realize you aren't compatibile in some important ways... and that's it. it's over.
    yes...
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quaris View Post
    Some say not every love is equal and not every crush is as breathtaking as others. The more you lose the more it hurts I guess?
    It would make sense to have the deepest love for one's dual, and failing there would be very bad, no?
    yeah that's what I meant. there's a kind of rapport you can have with a dual that's just not completely possible with other types, even when you're well-matched externally (with the other types). That sort of thing is especially distressing to lose. And then, it's also true what blackburry said that it's about the particular person and not just b/c of duality anyway. so it's going to hurt because of that, regardless.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Here's something C. S. Lewis wrote:
    “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell."
    thanks for reminding me of this! I'm familiar with it but hadn't read it in years.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Truth. Falling in love always, always, always always sucks ass, ime. I don't recommend it. Fall in love once, cool, but pray it never happens again unless you guys are destined for some fictitious happily ever after scenario. Even if you DO get together, stay together, get married, have kids, it'll be one ass pain after the other pain in your rear end has subsided.

Unfortunately falling in love isn't something you can really control.
    LOL this made me laugh. thanks!

And it's true--the heart loves who the heart loves and it's not usually controllable.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks slater. I like the spanish one especially.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Falling in love is overrated. Loving is underrated.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    It is if it is.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    It is if it is.
    Determinism.

The funny thing is determinism can justify both defeatism and optimism/trying.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Determinism.

The funny thing is determinism can justify both defeatism and optimism/trying.
    I am leaning toward the defeatism/fatalism side.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Yup. I admit some situations are hopeless, but often, people just don't want to make the effort. I guess if they don't want to make the effort, they must not care that much. Relating it to the topic at hand, is it really love if someone lets it fall by the way? I don't think so.
    ...Sometimes shit just happens. Things spin out of control and no matter how hard you both try to fix it, it will not work, love isn't always enough...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's hardest when there are "other" incompatibilities that you think you can overcome, but in reality it just means you don't belong together.

Or when the person is freaking fantastic and meshes in every possible way with your life, but is already spoken for by someone. heh
    IEE

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know exactly what you mean... What makes it more disappointing is when you idealize the dual too much from the beginning (or any relationship for that matter). You just gotta take chances though with people.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, to me, if you love someone, you'll make it work. If you're fighting all the time, then chances are it's not love. But maybe I'm different...I've noticed I have a very hard time letting people go once I care about them on a higher level. I might not be the most emotional person but it sure kills me. Love is a bitch but a life without it seems pointless.

Creepy-male

Disagree that things falling through with a dual hurts more than with a non-dual.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Don't despair and don't give up.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I dunno, to me, if you love someone, you'll make it work. If you're fighting all the time, then chances are it's not love. But maybe I'm different...I've noticed I have a very hard time letting people go once I care about them on a higher level. I might not be the most emotional person but it sure kills me. Love is a bitch but a life without it seems pointless.
    I think it can be love, but sometimes love is just not enough. It takes more than love to make it work I think.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else do you need though? If you love a person, you're accepting all of that person...all of their flaws and all the problems that come along with them. Distance doesn't matter, money doesn't matter, jobs don't matter...maybe I'm just old-school. If I love a person, I love them...it's not going to change because they had to move or they lost a job or their leg fell off...they're still the person you fell in love with. I don't get it.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What else do you need though? If you love a person, you're accepting all of that person...all of their flaws and all the problems that come along with them. Distance doesn't matter, money doesn't matter, jobs don't matter...maybe I'm just old-school. If I love a person, I love them...it's not going to change because they had to move or they lost a job or their leg fell off...they're still the person you fell in love with. I don't get it.
    I agree that when you really love a person you are accepting of them, but I also think that there can be circumstances that make a good relationship impossible. Just because I love a person doesn't mean it's a person who is good for me (or I am a person who is good for them). I think I have just been in love with too many people who just weren't good for me and then it can easily turn into self-sacrifice for the sake of loving someone all the way.

Does that make sense?
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's true. I wish I could've controlled who I loved at various points in my life...it would've been a lot easier. I get what you're saying. I guess I thought we were talking about mutual love.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's true. I wish I could've controlled who I loved at various points in my life...it would've been a lot easier. I get what you're saying. I guess I thought we were talking about mutual love.
    I think it even applies to mutual love because people have such different needs that it can't always work out. But I am not talking about things like distance or accidents, etc. I do believe that love can absolutely overcome that (the reason why I was convinced that my friend's bf didn't really love her was because I knew he would never stay with her if she had been disfigured, for example). I am thinking more along the lines psychological compatibility perhaps? Or situations where love turns into mutual dependence that is not healthy? For example, I was really in love with an IEI and he with me, but he turned me into an anxious mess because I could never be sure of the solidity of the relationship. On the other hand I know I made him feel inferior by constantly giving "proactive" advice and dismissing his need to internally work through things. I am not saying that the relationship is doomed because we were IEI-IEE, just the way it played out for us just couldn't go anywhere although we really did love each other a lot.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Given your line of work and all, I know that you meant it really, really seriously; ...but the thought of "Whoops, my leg fell off" was wonderful.
    ()
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love this
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

When I love, I love like this.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast