User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Well, here I am

  1. #1
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Well, here I am...

    Hello, everyone.

    I've come to this forum to learn more about Socionics. I've been curious about it for a long time.

    One of the major difficulties I've had, is that it's been hard to separate out material on MBTI, because that system is so much more popular among English-speakers. So it took me a while to figure out that the functions were defined differently.

    I think that Socionics seems to be closer to Jung's theories, however. The reason I ended up reading Jung, despite the difficulty of his writing, was because he was the originator of all the systems, and there seemed to be so much confusion between interpretations, that I decided going back to the source was the best way to figure out what interpretation made sense to me.

    One thing that I'm certain of, is that type cannot be determined from specific skills or behaviors, but rather has to be determined from patterns perceived in some other fashion. I've had trouble identifying these sort of patterns in myself, although I've had some success with typing other people.

    Whenever I try on a type, it seems like it doesn't quite fit. I can always imagine a way in which or a reason for which I could be any of the types. I suppose I don't have a very strong sense of identity, which is part of what attracted me to this theory in the first place.

    Anyway, it's good to be here! I've been lurking for a while, and your community seems reasonably inviting, so I've decided to come and start posting. Maybe I'll figure out my type, and maybe I won't, but I hope that we enjoy one another's company anyway.

  2. #2
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome! And dont forget socionics is best understood as a theory on cognition, as probably our greatest socionics expert left around, Ashton,(though he will deny he is, dont believe him :-p) would agree.

  3. #3
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi...mind answering type related questions for me?



    1. Do emotions drain your working energy or can you work even though on the inside you may feel down?


    2. Which are you more likely to do:
    A. Plan something and go over the plan before you proceed.
    B. Leap into one thing after another, working on the fly.


    3. Do you have poor time management? does it stress you out when you have to be somewhere at a certain time; do you get anxious and tense?

    4. Are you good with organization? What system or methodology do you follow when proceeding? Do you use methods, work flow, or do you use categorization?

    5. What activity is your idea of relaxation? Why?

    6. What activity is your idea of "fun"? Why?

    7. What quality or trait do you envy or wish you had? Which ones do you envy in others?

    8. Do you have a single track mind or prefer multitasking?

    9. Do you like to collect information in things like books, about your hobbies and interests? I'm talking about having facts?

    10. Do you enjoy quotes? Can you remember any now? or, give an example?

    11. Do you make or follow routines for yourself?

    12. Do you offer people advice about what they can do and how they can do things?

    13. Do you make rules?

    14. Are you more likely to see similarities between things or differences?

    15. Glass half full or half empty?

    16. Do you find yourself contradicting what you say and do?

    17. Do you agree with the statement:

    Time is made for discipline.
    You should go to work whenever you feel rested, no alarm is needed; when people go to work whenever they wake up they wouldn't need as much coffee and they would be better rested.

    18. How good are you about reading how others are feeling?

    19. Write an activity you enjoy and tells us why you picked that.

  4. #4
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    1. Do emotions drain your working energy or can you work even though on the inside you may feel down?
    Emotions drain my initiative, but not all my working energy. I can still work if someone else assigns me a task, but I can easily lose the energy to motivate myself to do things without being told. When I feel down, I just become more compliant and passive.

    2. Which are you more likely to do:
    A. Plan something and go over the plan before you proceed.
    B. Leap into one thing after another, working on the fly.
    It really depends on how important the task is, and how much time I have in advance. I will always plan something carefully if it's something important. I will often work on the fly with a hobby, or something else that it's safe to do so with, but not with anything I take seriously.
    3. Do you have poor time management? does it stress you out when you have to be somewhere at a certain time; do you get anxious and tense?
    I don't have poor time management. Usually, if I mean to be somewhere or have something done at a certain time, I'm prepared on time or early. However, I do find that I get more stressed out when I have to worry about it than when I don't.
    4. Are you good with organization? What system or methodology do you follow when proceeding? Do you use methods, work flow, or do you use categorization?
    I usually rely on others to organize things for me, and then I follow the system that they've set up. When I'm organizing things for myself, however... I mostly rely on time and relationship. I organize things by when they have to be done, and their relationship to each other. I prefer to perform tasks that are similar, and involve the same processes closer together. As far as organizing things... I just prefer to group similar things together, and in places where where it's easy to access them for their required functionality. For instance, I would want to store DVDs close to the DVD player, or the books I want to read somewhere near my favorite chair.
    5. What activity is your idea of relaxation? Why?
    Just laying around on the couch all day, searching Google, reading books, watching television, chatting with people online... ahh, I just love letting my hair down and doing all that. So peaceful.
    6. What activity is your idea of "fun"? Why?
    Actually, my idea of fun IS relaxation, LOL. But aside from that, I suppose chatting with friends on the phone, meeting people, sharing experiences, listening to music, dancing, etc. I don't do this as often as I should, though... I tend to be isolated and lack friends, so I don't get a lot of opportunities.
    7. What quality or trait do you envy or wish you had? Which ones do you envy in others?
    Self-motivation and determination. I feel like I'm very passive and complaint... it's really hard for me to push myself into doing things I know that I want to do. I find myself scrambling to do something whenever I'm asked to do it, but I can't for the life of me listen to myself or my own needs.
    8. Do you have a single track mind or prefer multitasking?
    I think I'm more of a single-tracker... I can multitask with very basic tasks, but for the most part I prefer to be able to focus on one thing at a time. I don't like distractions.
    9. Do you like to collect information in things like books, about your hobbies and interests? I'm talking about having facts?
    Oh, yes! This is what I spend most of my time doing! Collecting information about my hobbies and interests. I love books and Google searches that yield this sort of information.
    10. Do you enjoy quotes? Can you remember any now? or, give an example?
    Definitely. "We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are," "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither," and "I think, therefore I am." I love quotes... they usually come to mind when one is relevant to the situation.
    11. Do you make or follow routines for yourself?
    Not consciously, but I do often find myself doing pretty much the same things at the same time every day, if left to my own devices and nothing new comes into my life to disrupt it. There's a certain comfort associated with it, but it's not a big deal.
    12. Do you offer people advice about what they can do and how they can do things?
    Yes, I usually try to do that. It's not always particularly relevant or helpful, but I always want to help people when they're having problems.
    13. Do you make rules?
    Only if I have to. If people start behaving in destructive ways, I feel the need to step in and lay down the law. But I'd rather just let people do as they please, if it's not hurting anyone.
    14. Are you more likely to see similarities between things or differences?
    Differences, I suppose... but similarities are important to me as well.
    15. Glass half full or half empty?
    Half empty, usually. Unless something really good has just happened, and then I can start to feel like a half-full type of person for a while afterwards.
    16. Do you find yourself contradicting what you say and do?
    Usually, no. Occasionally I do, but I try to avoid it.
    17. Do you agree with the statement:

    Time is made for discipline.
    You should go to work whenever you feel rested, no alarm is needed; when people go to work whenever they wake up they wouldn't need as much coffee and they would be better rested.
    I don't think so. I think that schedules are a necessary evil, because I don't see how people could function effectively in a workplace without having some sort of organization of time. It would be confusing to pay everyone, to have meetings, collaborate, etc.
    18. How good are you about reading how others are feeling?
    I like to think that I'm very good at it, and some people have told me that I am... but I'm not sure, because others have told me that I can't read them well at all. I think that I can probably read the feelings of people who are similar to myself in terms of how they express their feelings, but that's it.
    19. Write an activity you enjoy and tells us why you picked that.
    I enjoy watching a movie. Because it doesn't require me to do anything, and I can just sit there and soak up the ideas being evoked by the screen in front of me. I don't need to do anything to move it along, I'm just watching the people interact and feeling like I'm a part of it without having to be a part of it, if that makes sense.

    Does this help?

  5. #5
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I didn't answer it the way I was supposed to, did I?

    Anyway... umm... what do I do now? Just start posting, or...?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Humm....you seem to be a Ti type because you take definitions and words very specificaly and tend to analyze well.
    Don't you overanalyse well as well ?

  7. #7
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    When you work on the fly with something like a hobby where does time go? how do you feel for time? are you consciously aware of what you must do next?

    Scrambling to do things seems very Se to me.

  8. #8
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    When you work on the fly with something like a hobby where does time go? how do you feel for time? are you consciously aware of what you much to next?
    Time goes where it always goes... the present slowly becomes the past, one second at a time. As this is happening, the future is also becoming the present, one second at time. It's a continuous flow. Basically, the future becomes the present, which becomes the past. As far as I am aware, anyway. There may be more going on than that, but I would need to be able to sense and move within the 4th dimension to be able to understand or explain that. I'm not sure precisely when or where used time goes, except for an awareness that it becomes the past.

    I'm always reasonably aware of what time it is... I'm usually aware of the next thing or two that I'm going to do, but I don't necessarily sit down and plan it all out. The ideas just come to me as I'm moving along.

  9. #9
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,614
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Clearly introverted. Social isolation points to NT. This

    Self-motivation and determination. I feel like I'm very passive and complaint... it's really hard for me to push myself into doing things I know that I want to do. I find myself scrambling to do something whenever I'm asked to do it, but I can't for the life of me listen to myself or my own needs.
    definitely sounds like super-id .

    There are a few examples of strong in your post too. Overall I would guess ILI.

  10. #10
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was also thinking ILI too.

  11. #11
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Welcome! And dont forget socionics is best understood as a theory on cognition, as probably our greatest socionics expert left around, Ashton,(though he will deny he is, dont believe him :-p) would agree.
    *slurp*

    The reason Ashton would deny it, is because he is smart enough to avoid claims of "expert knowledge," which, quite frankly, nobody possesses on this subject. When it comes to understanding human psychology, there are only people who suck, and people who suck less.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  12. #12
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Hi probably-Ni-leading newcomer who stimulates my DS function. You seem cool from what little you have posted.
    Thank you!


    Agreed and agreed. Seeing yourself for what sticks out is hard when you're from the inside looking out.
    It is, isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Clearly introverted. Social isolation points to NT. This
    NT? Aren't NTs supposed to be really creative, competitive, and intelligent? I've never really thought of myself as being that clever. I struggled to pass Algebra in High School, you know. Math is a major weakness for me.

    There are a few examples of strong in your post too. Overall I would guess ILI.
    Well, thank you... I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    *slurp*

    The reason Ashton would deny it, is because he is smart enough to avoid claims of "expert knowledge," which, quite frankly, nobody possesses on this subject. When it comes to understanding human psychology, there are only people who suck, and people who suck less.
    That would explain why it's so difficult to figure this out. No one is really "good" at understanding human psychology, it's a relatively new field. In a sense, you can never really "know" anything for certain. You can only make good predictions based on what you perceive, what you think you know.

    I'm always wary of those who regard themselves as experts... it's best to let others decide whether you are an expert or not, rather than proclaim yourself one.

  13. #13
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post
    NT? Aren't NTs supposed to be really creative, competitive, and intelligent? I've never really thought of myself as being that clever. I struggled to pass Algebra in High School, you know. Math is a major weakness for me.
    No. My mom is an NT she's not very good at it and my dad's an ST and is excellent at it...no correlation.

  14. #14
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    No. My mom is an NT she's not very good at it and my dad's an ST and is excellent at it...no correlation.
    Hmm... I wouldn't have thought so, really. I was just painting it as a stereotypical example of intelligence more than anything else.

    Out of curiosity, what would it mean if I were capable of figuring out enough Mathematics on the fly to figure out something I was really interested in, but struggle with learning it for its own sake because it seems tedious and arbitrary in that context?

    I've been able to solve puzzles that involve math, as long as they're realistic or seem applicable to something. It's just solving an arbitrary problem like you often have to do in Algebra that gets on my nerves so much that I can't do it, even though I can usually force myself to do things I'm not interested in.

  15. #15
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,614
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post
    NT? Aren't NTs supposed to be really creative, competitive, and intelligent?
    no, no, and no. You might have encountered something like that in MBTI, but all of those things are unrelated to socionic type.

  16. #16
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    no, no, and no. You might have encountered something like that in MBTI, but all of those things are unrelated to socionic type.
    Ah, that darn MBTI! Getting it mixed up with Socionics has probably caused me more confusion than anything else.

    Well, I suppose there is no certainty to be had... so I guess I'll have to trust the consensus that appears to be forming around ILI.

    *goes to look at ILI profiles*

  17. #17
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post
    Ah, that darn MBTI! Getting it mixed up with Socionics has probably caused me more confusion than anything else.

    Well, I suppose there is no certainty to be had... so I guess I'll have to trust the consensus that appears to be forming around ILI.

    *goes to look at ILI profiles*
    do all the Ti types too. like IEI; demo ILI and SLI;

  18. #18
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,614
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorsoul View Post
    Ah, that darn MBTI! Getting it mixed up with Socionics has probably caused me more confusion than anything else.

    Well, I suppose there is no certainty to be had... so I guess I'll have to trust the consensus that appears to be forming around ILI.

    *goes to look at ILI profiles*
    Definitely think it over for a while, there's no need to come to a conclusion right away.

  19. #19
    Reflection mirrorsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With my parents. :(
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    do all the Ti types too. like IEI; demo ILI and SLI;
    All the Ti types? What do you mean?

    I did look at IEI and SLI. I don't relate to SLI at all, or at least I don't see myself that way.

    I relate about equally to IEI and ILI. So, I feel pretty comfortable with the idea of Ni as base, but I'm not sure whether I use Te or Fe as a creative function. I can see myself as using either one if the situation calls for it. I enjoy interacting with people sometimes, but most of the time I'm too distracted with my own fantasies and absorbing information to actually do anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •