Thread: On the Ignoring Function

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On the Ignoring Function

I'm not entirely sure what the ignoring function does. The wiki seems fairly contradictory. For example, it says "A person has very little use of this element," but later says "[The individual] sometimes uses it extensively in private, and can call upon it when necessary."

I'm left with a lot of questions, most importantly:
    -What does the ignoring function do?
    -In what way is its information carefully chosen to fit the view of the leading function, as the wiki suggests, if the wiki is right and if I have interpreted it correctly?
    -What does it feel like to use the ignoring function?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this difficult too.

But this is my idea.

The ignoring function is part of the Strong group. So it's strong.

But it's mostly ignored. So you rarely use it, but if you use it, you are good at it.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignoring is the 7th function, right?

I've always understood the 7th/8th function whatever-it's-called block as a sort of "I could do that, but why bother" part of one's psyche, except that the individual isn't really capable of duplicating the IE in question. Like for me, Ni and Fe come off as really unusual uses of Ne and Fi that I can marginally understand, but I don't know how I'd ever really recreate something like that, nor would I ever see a need to replicate them.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can "use" my Ni-Ignoring quite well, but am only really interested in doing so when I see a need for it, or when I just happen to be "in the mood for some Ni." Otherwise, I find it annoying. Though if I'm in a good mood, I will put up with Ni-use in other people, and sometimes even play along. I can also be observant of other people "using" Ni and tell when they are taking it to an unhealthy level; like with my Ni-Base husband, sometimes he requires me to bring him "back to Earth" when his Ni runs away with him.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I can "use" my Ni-Ignoring quite well, but am only really interested in doing so when I see a need for it, or when I just happen to be "in the mood for some Ni." Otherwise, I find it annoying. Though if I'm in a good mood, I will put up with Ni-use in other people, and sometimes even play along. I can also be observant of other people "using" Ni and tell when they are taking it to an unhealthy level; like with my Ni-Base husband, sometimes he requires me to bring him "back to Earth" when his Ni runs away with him.
    Quick say something Ni.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like it's fairly useable, but the information it provides is mistrusted, and probably not used or communicated much (unless verified by a more favored function, of course). Is that about right?

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Quick say something Ni.
    There's a mall down the street from us. My husband has it all figured out, that if there were ever an apocalypse, and our family were the last people in our town, he would take us all to live in this mall, because it has an area that would make a perfect green room for growing produce, that is sheltered from the outside and any dangerous creatures that might be roaming the streets.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I can "use" my Ni-Ignoring quite well
    you can't use a single function, everything gets colored by your leading function. You have no control over that part.

It's common bullshit on this forum.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    you can't use a single function, everything gets colored by your leading function. You have no control over that part.

It's common bullshit on this forum.
    I agree with you. Sorry I worded myself poorly. I understand that no function is used in isolation.

Please be a little kinder next time.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what the ignoring function does. The wiki seems fairly contradictory. For example, it says "A person has very little use of this element," but later says "[The individual] sometimes uses it extensively in private, and can call upon it when necessary."

-In what way is its information carefully chosen to fit the view of the leading function, as the wiki suggests, if the wiki is right and if I have interpreted it correctly?
    Often when I use my ignoring function I feel guilty, because I know that I and my friends don't value it. Although I recognize that it's sometimes useful, I often go to incredible lengths to avoid it. I would say it feels wrong and deadening (perhaps that's more -specific tho). It's the weakest of the strong functions. Often when you're using your leading function you're actually using the ignoring function too, because they're two sides of the same coin in certain ways. However, one is explicit and the other is implicit. It's generally used less freely than the demonstrative function.

Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post

The ignoring function is the foundation of your base, it's your strongest instinct and probably what you were born being good at. It has an effect on everything you do, and even if you tried to, you couldn't be totally unaware of information related to it.

For example, an SEI has as their ignoring, so they are constantly picking up information about the sensory environment and filtering it to produce pleasant sensations (base ). They could not maintain their sensory homeostasis without maintaining an Se awareness at all times. It's the same for all types:

LSE - ignoring - uses what they know of rules and procedures to guide their selection of the most effective techniques ().
    IEE - ignoring - uses what they know about how processes change over time to select the best time to seize an option ()
    ESE- ignoring - uses what they know about how people really feel to select the right words, facial expressions, etc. to create a shared mood ()

The ignoring function is so (subconsciously) natural to you that you don't recognize its enormous impact on your life, and it tends to have a more obvious impact on others (again, subconsciously). It's constantly working to protect you from outside influences. When it doesn't work, the 8th function is recruited as a secondary aid. This all happens rapidly at an instinctive level, there is little to no conscious thought involved.

In a way, the ignoring sets limits on how one should live. But the standards apply to others more than to yourself. Thus, is it inherently hypocritical.
    in SxI sets boundaries on physical force
    in LxE sets boundaries on rules
    in IxI sets boundaries on alternative possibilities
    in ExI sets boundaries on emotional expressiveness
    in SxE sets boundaries on personal comfort
    in ExE sets boundaries on ethics

Under stress, when tired/drunk or otherwise less than fully lucid, the ignoring function is expressed strongly. It always tries to act in a way that least impacts the POLR, but under stress, possible impacts on the POLR can be completely ignored. It's as though the ignoring says to society "My way or the highway!" and ignores convention. It fights to preserve the right to use that function however it wishes, and denies the same right to others.

SLIs and SEIs become ruthless about appropriate use of force
    ESEs and EIEs become ruthless about appropriate standards of ethics
    IEEs and ILEs become ruthless about appropriate use of time
    LSEs and LIEs become ruthless about appropriate adherence to procedure
    ESIs and EIIs become ruthless about appropriate emotional expression
    IEIs and ILIs become ruthless about appropriate use of alternatives
    SEEs and SLEs become ruthless about appropriate use of sensual comforts
    LSIs and LIIs become ruthless about appropriate use of resources

Thus the ignoring function has a dampening effect on others.
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 03-30-2014 at 02:06 PM.