Thread: Ni and Self-Consciousness/Self-Awareness

Hybrid View

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni and Self-Consciousness/Self-Awareness

My new theory is that Ni, especially NiFe, is all about self-consciousness. I mean, that's not the only thing it does, but one of the things it gives rise to is a life that notices the self.

Of course, the classical statement of self-noticing is Walt Whitman's Me Myself in section 4 ("apart from the pulling and hauling..."). But Harold Bloom is noticing the same phenomenon when he attributes Shakespeare's characters with the power of "self-overhearing," the ability to change based on what you hear yourself say (which presupposes the Second Self, the Self that watches and can order a change in the Primary Self, the Persona that acts. Or perhaps the change is in that Third Thing which does not have a name).

Maybe this isn't actually associated with Ni--and properly speaking, I'm not claiming that Ni IS self-consciousness, but rather than high-level, well-developed Ni can often manifest itself in this sort of, abstracted-from-myself self-looking or self-awareness. Similarly, low-level, one-dimensional Ni can manifest itself as a failure to be self-aware, to be aware of what is going on within yourself at a deep level.

Thoughts?
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-Korpsey

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    My new theory is that Ni, especially NiFe, is all about self-consciousness. I mean, that's not the only thing it does, but one of the things it gives rise to is a life that notices the self.
    If you were NiTe instead of NiFe you'd have reached the same essential conclusion by a different route. My thinking also has a strongly meta-cognitive overtone like the one you describe.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, well good. NiTe too then.

Now that we see that the gate isn't large enough to get everyone in who should be in, let's see if it's large enough to keep everyone out who should be out. 1-D Ni-ers, do you see yourself this way? How do non-Ni-egos see this idea?

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd say being aware of yourself as an object within reality with certain quantifiable properties invariant to your mental state is more of a Pe thing; one could construe that as a form of "self awareness" with equal justification

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could awareness level be more related to the degree of proficiency gained in non-ego functions that with any particular functions themselves?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you have this theory

What is it based on, and

Could you elaborate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Why do you have this theory

What is it based on, and

Could you elaborate
    You ask way too much .
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Here's an example of my subconscious regrets with regard to time and how that function manifests into me demonstrating Ni.

Sometime ago, I had an opportunity to buy a house and I regret not taking the necessary measures to complete the purchase and the house now costs way more than I would have purchased it for.

The above is the subconscious influence of time and that event and how that even stresses me out until today. I missed the opportunity; but can't let go of the even that impacted my decisions/course of action. What I hope and want is Te, to explain to me how things are moving dynamically so that I can brush away this thought from my subconscious. Because I talk about this even the way I do, I demonstrate Ni, but I'm really Fi. Most people here can't see type as a picture, rather they see it as pieces of a puzzle.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I relate to this proposed aspect of , and that is most likely my base. I'm not sure whether the correlation is high, but I could easily see how the typical attributes could imply the concept of "self-awareness".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it seems that the ego functions of any type tend to be used in a very automatic and possibly habitual fashion. On the other hand an individual might pay more attention to less favored functions when forced to use them, and be more likely to use less favored functions in appropriate situations if more self-aware. So I guess I'm not sure which causes which, but they seem as though they would go together.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like this will quickly devolve into a discussion on semantics.

OP it'd be great if you could clarify your definitions, perspectives and aspects of self-consciousness and self-awareness.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Seems like this will quickly devolve into a discussion on semantics.

OP it'd be great if you could clarify your definitions, perspectives and aspects of self-consciousness and self-awareness.
    Yeah.

That's what the examples are for, since I don't really have a strict definition, but I will try to describe what it's like for me and see if that helps.

Ever since I was very young (like VERY young, like four or five, maybe younger), I've had a distinct sense of standing outside myself and observing myself, both in what I say to other, and in what I think. I watch myself watching. I've always had a sense of being to some degree separate from myself; there's always a part of me that's acting, but there's always a part of me that's watching too. For instance, just now, I was thinking about whether or not what I am saying is too dramatic... thinking about what cliche or trope I am falling into right now in my attempts to describe myself. When I watch old videos of myself, I can see myself thinking... and then noticing my own thoughts and judging them as good or bad, to be welcomed or to be avoided, etc. I am always aware of my own motives. Sometimes I'll say something accidentally, like a Freudian slip, and I'll notice two seconds later that it's a Freudian slip, and feel bad about it, which makes it seem more like an intentional slight than it is.

Anyway, the theory is partly based on this facet of my personal experience, and partially based on romantic poetry, much of which is about self-consciousness and is written by Ni-egos (Wordsworth in particular is all about "metacognitive" speculation). Most of the Romantics were Ni-egos, with the possible exception of Byron, who does not talk about himself nearly as much, and in fact features an occluded self in a lot of his work. Also, I've noticed a lack of this kind of self-awareness in ESEs I've been close to lately. It's like... ARGH, aren't you aware of what you're saying and doing, and the very obvious motivations for it, and don't you notice yourself doing these things, and doesn't that bother you? Aren't you aware of what is going on inside of you?

So yeah, that's some further explanation of my thought.

Creepy-Korpsey

Like a monkey fucking a football.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Redundant. Socionics discussions are pointless language debates.
    The semantics of the functions - yes. I mean the semantics of self-consciousness/self-awareness.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor