Thread: Are you left-handed or right-handed?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you left-handed or right-handed?

And do you think handedness can affect/help determine personality type? Or subtype?

I am left-handed and an IEE. My sister is left-handed and an SEE.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right handed, and I think NTR
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Right handed
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm mostly wondering about the type relatedness, since one article I read on Visual Identification (I'd have to dig around for the source), mentioned that handedness could be important in VI. Wondering why this would be... *shrug*
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. SLI boyfriend is right as well.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... how many threads like that do we need?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right handed.

Except for using the mouse, but that's just because it comes in handy in first person shooters.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    What colour eyes do you have

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    What colour eyes do you have
    What are you wearing now?
    ILE "Searcher"

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know :/

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    What are you wearing now?
    How many older brothers do you have?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I know :/

How many older brothers do you have?
    I'm the older!
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly white, come to think of it.
    Wearing clothes.
    One.

... but even if you only count thread about handedness specifically, it's still too many. FTR.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevertheless, the idea did not originate with me.

http://www.socionics.com/articles/notes.html

from the above link:

Some people claim they can V.I. by a single photograph, which undoubtedly involves lots of guessing. A single photograph could be useful as it can give many clues as to which Type a person on the photo is, but it can not be definitive. Only in very rare cases might a single photograph be enough. Also, it is essential to know the handedness of a person. Without it the photo could be pretty useless. But because majority of people are genuinely right-handed, it almost works in majority of cases. Glasses, hats, makeup, plastic surgeries, photo manipulations can throw even the expert off course. This is why it is necessary to have more information about a person than a single photo. A video, for example, already contains tons and tons of useful information. Meeting someone in person is highly recommended.
    And there's this: http://www.facedock.net/illustratorgallery.htm

The concept is already out there...all I'm asking is whether anyone here thinks it carries any validity.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right handed, but I can easily use my left as the 'main hand' in two-handed activities like shoveling, shooting rifles, ect.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... but even if you only count thread about handedness specifically, it's still too many. FTR.
    Pardon me for not being here eight months ago the last time this topic might have been discussed (8 is an arbitrary number, btw, I don't really know when was the last time handedness was brought up here).
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I doubt that many physiological constructs could possibly be type-related, since physiology is mostly genetic.

Creepy-Korpsey

I think Ganin hews to outmoded ideas about lateralization of brain function, perpetuating the popular myth that the left hemisphere is coldly abstract and thinky while the right is passionately imaginative and feely. These ideas have been around since at least the 19th century and were popularized by the often wild conjecture surrounding the case of Phineas Gage. Subsequent neuroscience has shown the workings of the brain to be more complex than this gross over-simplification.

Here's a good article on the origins and perpetuation of hemispheric folk-psychology: Left Brain, Right Brain: Science or the New Phrenology?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    I doubt that many physiological constructs could possibly be type-related, since physiology is mostly genetic.
    Actually right-handedness vs. left-handedness is a learned behaviour just like taste, etc.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Actually right-handedness vs. left-handedness is a learned behaviour
    I don't believe this. Maybe it was true back in the 1800's when they forced left-handed kids to use their right hands in school. But, they were still obviously naturally left-handed.

Some left-handed people may also choose to become proficient in the use of their right hands for simple ease of use of some tools and equipment (I use a computer mouse right-handed, for example; my left-handed sister learned to crochet right-handed).

just like taste, etc.
    I don't believe taste is a learned behavior either. At least not completely. There may be certain experiences that affect what foods people like and dislike, but I also believe a lot of it has to do with physiology and one's individual taste buds...I've heard it said that one's taste buds change every seven years, so that it's possible to discover that you come to like something that you used to dislike, and vice-versa.

But back to the handedness topic...

My grandfather (LII) is left-handed. I also have a left-handed uncle (whose type I have not yet determined).

Handedness is genetic.
    My life's work (haha):

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Actually right-handedness vs. left-handedness is a learned behaviour just like taste, etc.
    I had never considered that...

While I do believe that becoming ambidextrous is definitely a learned trait (assuming one does not already have sufficient abilities with both hands), I think that there is clear dominance and ease of use with one hand or the other when it comes to things like writing/eating/etc.

One day the human genome will be completely mapped and we won't have a problem with any topics like these...

Anyways, an article I found on the subject:
    http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=124

tl;dr:

Most likely, the environment plays a role. There are probably one or more genes that make you more likely to become left-handed. You then need some sort of environmental trigger for it to happen.
    I do love it when things are not so cut and dry.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious question! Which foot do you use to step over a puddle?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Handedness is genetic.
    That's probably why MZ (genetically identical) twins may differ on handedness... and about as often as DZ (fraternal) twins, who only share as much genetic material as regular siblings.

Neither genetics, nor purely environmental influence alone can sufficiently explain handedness, though all may play a part. Prenatal factors are most likely, since twins are more often left-handed, but it must be something that can affect one or both of them. Similar impact on early brain development could be responsible for differences between MZ twins' personalities, for example.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's probably why MZ (genetically identical) twins may differ on handedness... and about as often as DZ (fraternal) twins, who only share as much genetic material as regular siblings.

Neither genetics, nor purely environmental influence alone can sufficiently explain handedness, though all may play a part. Prenatal factors are most likely, since twins are more often left-handed, but it must be something that can affect one or both of them. Similar impact on early brain development could be responsible for differences between MZ twins' personalities, for example.
    Do you think-- especially ni the case of twins-- that position in the womb might affect handedness?
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record:

In the course of the East Flanders Prospective Twin Survey (EFPTS), handedness was assessed as part of a genealogical study (Meulemanset al., 1995) in 1616 twins (808 twin pairs) aged 6 to 28. Our findings are that, in this large population-based study with known placentation and zygosity, the often observed higher frequency of left-handedness in twins is confirmed, that it appears to be independent of zygosity and chorion type, and that the belief that discordant handedness in monozygotic twins represents mirrorimaging is mythical.

Creepy-Korpsey

Here's an interesting paper from 2000, "Handedness and hemispheric language dominance in healthy humans". The upshot: although left-handers are more often linguistically right-brained than right-handers are, most left-handers still instantiate language in the left hemisphere, just as most right-handers do.

Regarding the OP, since heredity and environment both determine handedness as well as disposition, the surest answer to your questions is "Perhaps, though other factors of greater and lesser preponderance enter into the equation." Personally I think it has more to do with how you feel about using scissors or shaking hands than it does in playing a strong role in determining personality.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsey View Post
    Regarding the OP, since heredity and environment both determine handedness as well as disposition, the surest answer to your questions is "Perhaps, though other factors of greater and lesser preponderance enter into the equation." Personally I think it has more to do with how you feel about using scissors or shaking hands than it does in playing a strong role in determining personality.
    Oh, certainly. What I was trying to get at more is if it might be possible that some personality types have a higher percentage of left-handed people than other types? Or if more left-handed people tend to be one subtype over another.
    My life's work (haha):

Creepy-Korpsey

Oh, certainly. What I was trying to get at more is if it might be possible that some personality types have a higher percentage of left-handed people than other types? Or if more left-handed people tend to be one subtype over another.
    It's possible but indeterminately so without clinical research. And I don't think validating socionics is a hot ticket item with many neurologists. Here are a few items pertaining to lefties and personality.

Lefty Personality Traits - Left-Hand Dominant

Handedness, sexual orientation, and gender-related personality traits in men and women.

Left-handed people are more inhibited

So, according to these articles, if you map sociotypes to their likelihood of comprising quick-witted, inhibited, homosexual leaders, you could well be on to something.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right handed, aren't most people?
    Did a quick Google search and got around 8% make-up for Left handedness, so yeah...
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't believe this. Maybe it was true back in the 1800's when they forced left-handed kids to use their right hands in school. But, they were still obviously naturally left-handed.
    I'm not talking about 1800's here nor any forceful act. It is a learned behaviour simply because I said so.

No, I'm joking

There is a thread about left brain vs. right brain somewhere on here coupled with some tests, and if my memory serves me right Huitz (or something like that - I never can spell it) tried to do the "same".

Some left-handed people may also choose to become proficient in the use of their right hands for simple ease of use of some tools and equipment (I use a computer mouse right-handed, for example; my left-handed sister learned to crochet right-handed).
    Yea, you learned, your sister learned. It's learned, it's an adaptive behaviour without one just withers and dies in extreme cases. 'Evolutionary' one will say after a really and I mean really long time.

Left-handedness and right-handedness has a lot to do with us being infants, especially the way our mothers held us while breastfeeding, if you know what I mean

I don't believe taste is a learned behavior either. At least not completely. There may be certain experiences that affect what foods people like and dislike, but I also believe a lot of it has to do with physiology and one's individual taste buds...I've heard it said that one's taste buds change every seven years, so that it's possible to discover that you come to like something that you used to dislike, and vice-versa.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but is learned as well and again, it is an adaptive process which helps one to survive in some environment that lacks "the food you like or dislike"

EDIT: It's like liking or disliking people and in my case I'll gladly eat Obersturmführer even though I dislike him.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I'm a southpaw.