Not one of them has seen!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No monkeys but the elephant is there. That's really great.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, I'm fucking impressed.

Great poet and I like the message it contains.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    wow, I'm fucking impressed.

Great poet and I like the message it contains.
    This is a really good an excellent metaphor- however the poem is John Godfrey Saxe's - with socionics replacing theology.

http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/..._elephant.html
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsey View Post
    So oft in socionic wars,
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean,
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!
    You forgot to mention that critical thinking does not exist.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thou est wail onward in utter ignorance, fiends.. Thou ist a non punctual concubine. Thou ist thy mothers pampered son. Thou elephant tusk spear the in thy guts. The great monkey comes from above to rain down bananas onto the peasants living in the doll house. The great monkey craps rain into their open mouths. Peasants.. Fools... The six holy monkeys worship the flame of power. Great monkey flame...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO!

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fucking love that picture dude
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Creepy-Korpsey

I love that parable and how it's brought to life in every thread where attempts are made to type others, especially celebrities and other remote personages who don't provide feedback on the selective perceptions and psycho-social biases paraded by everyone who offers an opinion. And yes, I'm susceptible to this same type of error, though it's something I try to monitor, factor for, and guard against.

Somavision: Correct, though the story is much older than homeboy's rendition of it.

Bolt: Incorrect on both counts. I'm quite aware that critical thinking exists. Furthermore, since it's performed by humans its application and execution are inherently limited and imperfect. Since you're given to sensationalism it's only natural to wonder whether your obviously false response was intentionally ironic or whether you dismissed intellectual rigor in earnest and thereby stepped unwittingly into your own shit.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolt: Incorrect on both counts. I'm quite aware that critical thinking exists. Furthermore, since it's performed by humans its application and execution are inherently limited and imperfect. Since you're given to sensationalism it's only natural to wonder whether your obviously false response was intentionally ironic or whether you dismissed intellectual rigor in earnest and thereby stepped unwittingly into your own shit.
    2+2=4 is performed by humans, but it doesn't mean it's "limited and imperfect". If an idiot comes and claims that it makes five, the conclusion is not that everyone is stupid, but only the idiot. The process can be repeated over 10k idiots with no problem.

I don't necessarily disagree with the facts mocked in the OP, that it's a total mess, but I disagree with the parable and it's conclusion about the causes of it, something like: "we're all humans and prone to error, that means no one understands but we can all claim we're smart posting nonsense". By the same allusion we can conclude that Jung and Aushra were two dumb blind men, too, evicting your reason to post on this forum.

My advice to you is to use this rule of thumb: once you make a hasty generalization, pretend that there are 99% chances that you're mistaken (which is likely true). This will make you seriously investigate the validity of your claim before telling it. Use a reminder or something.

OP is bullshit.

Creepy-Korpsey

The only generalizations I made are that imperfect observers make imperfect observations, and that disposition and habit can easily mislead the apperceptual process accordingly.

Also, numbers are conceptual signifiers and so they can be made to carry any value that one imparts to them. That your conception of 2+2=4 jibes with its canonical interpretation merely means you've conformed with consensus views regarding a socio-linguistic construct. Without that semiotic investment and your assent in accepting it, it's just a meaningless squiggle.

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the blind men are self-rightous - that's the point.

Creepy-Korpsey

There's a plurality of valid viewpoints, but that's one of them. Bonus credit for finding the ethical angle in what was originally intended as a jab at the psychological mechanics of fallibility.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, numbers are conceptual signifiers and so they can be made to carry any value that one imparts to them. That your conception of 2+2=4 jibes with its canonical interpretation merely means you've conformed with consensus views regarding a socio-linguistic construct. Without that semiotic investment and your assent in accepting it, it's just a meaningless squiggle.
    That's the problem with this sixpenny philosophy: generalization and talk in theory, with no concern of whether it applies to something or not. Yes, in theory we probably don't even exist, so? What's the point? What has this to do with Socionics? No one even claimed that he/she has godlike certainty in what he says, we're just people discussing in our ignorant world; but in it, there exists certainty and logical correctness, prophet. It's just *you* who make the baseless assumption that people their conclusions to be valid in all possible and impossible multiverses.

And yes, I still insist that you generalize because that's what you do. You tell me that "numbers are conceptual signifiers" without even providing an example of what do you actually acknowledge as a true concept, that is not a human construct, so that we talk about actually *something*.
    Who's the one who can actually see the real elephant, you? In all cultures that use maths 2+2 is still 4, why? Did they speak to each other in advance? It's a fact, not just relativistic mental masturbation. Contingent truth indeed, but truth.
    ---

Thanks for the picture, actually allows me clarifying my point: that is a pipe. Contradicting me, you take, without justification, the right to claim that, when I say that, I don't mean "the representation of a pipe" - which is implicit for anyone who doesn't look for quirks - but a real one.
    Living our life in illusion or not, I can guess how all this translates into real life: real-life scientists, researchers and thinkers pack your gibberish and dump it to trash. Also in real life, this forum is a joke as long as this bullshit is considered "Socionics discussion". I had no super-epiphany like yours, it's just my quick guess, which you'll probably relate to on Monday morning.

Creepy-Korpsey

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
    That's the problem with this sixpenny philosophy: generalization and talk in theory, with no concern of whether it applies to something or not. Yes, in theory we probably don't even exist, so?
    Ah, but these melodramatic, facetious absolutes are your arguments, not mine.

What's the point?
    Finite beings with finite sensory and cognitive apparatus necessarily make errors of judgement. Do they reach correct conclusions? Of course, quite often, but this can still be improved.

What has this to do with Socionics?
    Sloppy thinking leads to false conclusions. Enhancing mindfulness of distorted thinking improves objective evaluation. Better socionics results from better thinking.

No one even claimed that he/she has godlike certainty in what he says, we're just people discussing in our ignorant world; but in it, there exists certainty and logical correctness, prophet.
    Certainty is phenomenological, a feeling often wholly divorced from objective fact. Case in point: you emphatically declare I made or implied a statement that in fact was neither made nor intended. Also, logically coherent arguments can still be materially false.

It's just *you* who make the baseless assumption that people their conclusions to be valid in all possible and impossible multiverses.
    Another self-serving falsehood. My interest is valid theory backed by evidence-based justification, not iron-clad proof or popular assent.

And yes, I still insist that you generalize because that's what you do. You tell me that "numbers are conceptual signifiers" without even providing an example of what do you actually acknowledge as a true concept, that is not a human construct, so that we talk about actually *something*.
    I agree that in most circumstances the sum of 2 and 2 is interpreted as 4. Other interpretations exist outside the domain of mathematics and are no more or less wrong. Numbers are universals and since they aren't found wandering round in nature they have no verifiable attributes.

Who's the one who can actually see the real elephant, you?
    Further evidence you're neglecting to read what you're attempting to refute.

In all cultures that use maths 2+2 is still 4, why? Did they speak to each other in advance? It's a fact, not just relativistic mental masturbation. Contingent truth indeed, but truth.
    That "fact" of 2+2=4 is a foundational quantitative convention with demonstrable utility within mathematics and related anthropogenic fields of inquiry, yet still entirely conceptual and representational, i.e. semiotic.

Thanks for the picture, actually allows me clarifying my point: that is a pipe.
    Simply because the object in the painting appears to be a pipe doesn't necessitate it being one. And in any event, a picture is not a pipe.

Living our life in illusion or not,
    Partial illusion, partial truth. The goal behind my post was to foster the reduction of the former and enhance the preponderance of the latter.

I can guess how all this translates into real life: real-life scientists, researchers and thinkers pack your gibberish and dump it to trash.
    And yet these are the same people who value the objective thinking that I promote.

Also in real life, this forum is a joke as long as this bullshit is considered "Socionics discussion".
    That'll remain the case so long as neurology remains excluded from this rationalist, functionalist, instrumentalist, ipse dixit echo chamber of hermetic horseshit. If there's science to be had I'd love to see it.

I had no super-epiphany like yours, it's just my quick guess, which you'll probably relate to on Monday morning.
    Wrong from front to back. I admire your thoroughness!

Plas Penrhyn in Penrhyndeudraeth, Merionethshire, Wales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs more Leibniz.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehhhh, so let me get something straight...

you're making an argument that people's perceptions are wrong because they can't fathom the whole truth of what something is and are doomed to misinterpret and misunderstand...

but ironically your argument's premise, your perception that everyone is wrong, implies the infallibility of that perception to begin with...

??? so nothing here really makes any sense, not even philosophically.

so why are you doing this thread again?

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

My thoughts exactly.

Objectively, + = , but one could claim the first and second set of being 3 each and the result 8. The concept is quantifiable, the descriptors (symbols, as numbers are symbols) are not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not like the whole process of thinking is meaningless because it's going to be incomplete. You can still roughly distill reality by checking things out from multiple angles. Eventually you get to something which is fairly accurate. But the process of thinking is neverending. You'll always be tweaking and revising your opinions on things. That's no reason to throw away your thoughts or dismiss other peoples thoughts. I dont think that's really a spectacular realization, either. It's actually pretty simple. This thread is just over the top intellectual narcissism. I have to ask myself what you're compensating for when you try so hard to come across as intellectual.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually agree with the moral of the original poem, which contained one more stave:

The Seventh blind man stepped in,
    Touching its head h'exclaims in joy:
    "Haha! You're blind but also stupid pals,
    Cow's tail is not a rope to climb;
    This is ey focking animal
    With horns at mouth and nose like trunk!"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how Effie failed to parry my final thrust and fabricated a bit of whimsy at the end to save his fragile dignity, trying to fool other blind twits by proclaiming "I understood it all along!"

Logic without evidence is a fart in a jar. Evidence without logic is a pile of shit.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fart in a jar can be useful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    A fart in a jar can be useful.
    For puerile and offensive pranking, sure. Not a whole hell of a lot of use for it outside of that.
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.