3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good stuff.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Snaps

I actually thought, by the title of this thread, you were going to list all other 15 personality types besides your own.

Creepy-male

#8 gets me the most, the others I do also, but with those I'm quick to realize my bullshit.

#8 though, really fucking pisses me off though, it gets me way worse than all the others...

I still don't feel satisfied in how that is wrong, I would like it a lot better if they gave solutions or something, because I honestly don't feel like caring about what is fair is a bad thing, but I realize it has its fallacies if you take your views too seriously and begin thinking you are the sole arbiter of truth and fairness, but I mean lets be real... sometimes someone is "right" and someone else is "wrong", and if you completely through your evaluations out the window its like folding when you may have the better hand.
    Last edited by male; 02-24-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically, if a person carries none of these negative traits, then they are catatonic and don't care about anything (and that means a lot coming from me) or doing something wrong. Either way, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! Hahahaha

It's life that's crazy, not me.

AND THAT'S HOW THEY ALL (~15~) BECAME THE BRADY BUNCH

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    I actually thought, by the title of this thread, you were going to list all other 15 personality types besides your own.
    hehe, I was thinking the same.

What a distorted thinkers we are '-)

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post

1. Filtering: You take the negative details and magnify them, while filtering out all positive aspects of a situation. A single detail may be picked out, and the whole event becomes colored by this detail. When you pull negative things out of context, isolated from all the good experiences around you, you make them larger and more awful than they really are.
    I have done this a lot.

2. Polarized Thinking: The hallmark of this distortion is an insistence on dichotomous choices. Things are black or white, good or bad. You tend to perceive everything at the extremes, with very little room for a middle ground. The greatest danger in polarized thinking is its impact on how you judge yourself. For example-You have to be perfect or you're a failure.
    My husband gets to thinking this way a lot.

5. Catastrophizing: You expect disaster. You notice or hear about a problem and start "what if's." What if that happens to me? What if tragedy strikes? There are no limits to a really fertile catastrophic imagination. An underlying catalyst for this style of thinking is that you do not trust in yourself and your capacity to adapt to change.
    My husband is always concerned about disaster and what he would do with our family should disaster strike. He's really into emergency preparedness. It's a healthy way of thinking, to an extent, but sometimes he takes it too far and worries excessively over the "what ifs."

6. Personalization: This is the tendency to relate everything around you to yourself. For example, thinking that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you. You also compare yourself to others, trying to determine who's smarter, better looking, etc. The underlying assumption is that your worth is in question. You are therefore continually forced to test your value as a person by measuring yourself against others. If you come out better, you get a moment's relief. If you come up short, you feel diminished. The basic thinking error is that you interpret each experience, each conversation, each look as a clue to your worth and value.
    Again, my husbnad falls into the pattern of thinking sometimes. He can get very down on himself at times for not being as "successful" as someone else he knows, or as good-looking, or whatever.

7. Control Fallacies: There are two ways you can distort your sense of power and control. If you feel externally controlled, you see yourself as helpless, a victim of fate. The fallacy of internal control has you responsible for the pain and happiness of everyone around you. Feeling externally controlled keeps you stuck. You don't believe you can really affect the basic shape of your life, let alone make any difference in the world. The truth of the matter is that we are constantly making decisions, and that every decision affects our lives. On the other hand, the fallacy of internal control leaves you exhausted as you attempt to fill the needs of everyone around you, and feel responsible in doing so (and guilty when you cannot).
    Hey. Me. I have been an extreme internal control freak in the past. I am learning to let things go more now, though.

9. Blaming: You hold other people responsible for your pain, or take the other tack and blame yourself for every problem. Blaming often involves making someone else responsible for choices and decisions that are actually our own responsibility. In blame systems, you deny your right (and responsibility) to assert your needs, say no, or go elsewhere for what you want.
    I catch myself starting to do this on occasion, but I'm usually pretty quick to realize it and make amends.

11. Emotional Reasoning: You believe that what you feel must be true-automatically. If you feel stupid or boring, then you must be stupid and boring. If you feel guilty, then you must have done something wrong. The problem with emotional reasoning is that our emotions interact and correlate with our thinking process. Therefore, if you have distorted thoughts and beliefs, your emotions will reflect these distortions.
    My husband gets into the mood sometimes. Maybe it has to do with being Fe-PoLR.

Thanks for finding and sharing these! Rather enlightening...
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#4 and #5 and to some extent #10
    Last edited by Simon Ssmall; 02-24-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 gets me the worst, and ties directly into the other ones I am habitually guilty of: 6, 7, 13, 14
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guilty of 5 and 11 a lot, plus one big instance of 15.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

#5 and #8 are probably what I do wrong the most.

However, I want to criticize this for a second. The way you think and the way you feel have a lot to do with physical circumstances in your environment. In other words, we have a physical real experience of why we think and feel the way we do. Your thoughts and feelings are reasonable for whatever experience you live. Maybe you can say that that person attracted those things into their experience, but that's really nobody's place to judge and you can't scientifically prove that, anyway. That's why we need to start judging people for what they actually *do*, and stop judging people for the way they think and feel.

I know that it seems counter intuitive (And a lot of good advice is), but a good way to get psychologically healthier is to simply expose yourself to new physical experiences, even if you think you may not be ready for them or you have a critical outlook. (sort of like what they tell enneagram 4s to do) Critical, negative outlooks actually aren't that bad. They keep you safe from other people's bullshit.

I mean if you always have to be happy or in a certain positive mood to accomplish something, then you probably won't get much done at all, and then you will become deflated again anyway.

People don't like that, they don't want to be 'victims' though, so they try to get as positive and happy themselves. However, I don't like the author's judgmental tone. Who is he to say what is distorted and what's not? He says that life is full of gray, but then he goes and labels all these things as 'distorted.' Psychologists are really the negative ones, not other people. =D hehe. It sounds almost like he projected all this stuff that he himself was thinking, thinking it would help others. When really, I was only ever helped by a ST-ish behavioral change.

I'm just saying that whenever we label anything as good and evil, we tend to cut ourselves away from the delicate interesting aspects/insights of the experience. It reads more like a self-help manual that snaps at you then something interesting in my life that I could use. Then again I'm really stubborn.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Put it this way.

I don't give a shit if you are sad, just like you probably don't give a shit if I'm sad either. I care if you hurt people I love for real. I care if you insult them, belittle them, bully them, bash their skull in with a sledgehammer, convince yourself that you can 'help them' but really you want to get into a psychology session to bully them further. I see right through that bullshit.

It's also sorta being hypocritical. They say you can't be codependent in life, but you're making them codependent with your bullshit psychological advice. Just leave other people alone unless they come to you with a *specific* physical problem that can be changed behaviorally, you loser middle class psychologists! *spit* (I don't mean that to anybody in the forum btw)

Okay. I feel better. Tee hee hee. It feels better to be in my manly physical body, not in my faggy head, thinking there's always something wrong inside of me that needs changing.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a 6, 7, and 11 kind of guy.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I have done this a lot.
    I just called the mental hospital. They are at your doorstep in about 5 minutes.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I just called the mental hospital. They are at your doorstep in about 5 minutes.
    I'll be waiting...
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is really good. I'm subject to some of these on occasion. number 1 when I'm stressed, 6 and eleven are traps I've also fallen into before, the others tend to be to a lesser extent
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do all of them and a 16th, supporting FC Barcelona.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

1, 6, 7, and 11.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6-8, 11

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

1, 5, and 14. This was an interesting read.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4 (though I really do think I'm good at this ) and 7 (internal control) for me. 2 and 14 for my LII.

TIM
    Fe dominant
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4: Mind reading, is the one I'm worst about. To some extent I think one can "mind read," based on body language, and eye movements, etc. But I take it too far. It's hard to ignore what I've "read" though, because to me the thoughts I've heard are almost as real as words. Bad bad bad bad bad lemon.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy

This link is relevant to this topic.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, I've done every one of them...? They're more or less saying the same thing in just about all of them.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk; i don't really have any trouble with these things.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 and 14 are probably my biggest "sins" so to speak.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    idk; i don't really have any trouble with these things.
    you're amazing

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guarantee all of you are hypocrites!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do ALL of them, except for number 14, on a regular basis, and I don't know how to stop.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I tend to be most guilty of 6, 8, and 10

On occasion, I fall into the trap of 1, 2, 3, 13, and 15
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Bam! Just like Emeril.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Mind Reading"

hahaha...socionics much?
    This is the place where I procrastinate on things Sig related.

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I do 7) Internal Control Fallacy a lot and tend to hold myself overly responsible for whether situations turn out right or wrong the way I want. Being that I'm quite convinced of the power of the individual will to make free choices of action to influence events towards ends desired; i.e. there's no escaping that I am the master of my fate. Yet this is also juxtaposed w/ the fact that I ultimately see life as a stochastic void where most things by and large simply happen, for no real reason other than, well, just because. Which, at least in any vein of personal or spiritual regard, could be seen as something like an External Control Fallacy.
    And I do it as well. It's a factor of C-subtype, with D-subtype shadow.

I do 4) as well, except in reverse; I tend to assume others are very different from me until I have overwhelming reason to sense otherwise. I also generally operate off the assumption that I only make sense to people about 50% of the time on average.
    Another price of being a C-sub: you can never be certain you are being understood, because others may not have drawn the same conclusions that you have.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Filtering: You take the negative details and magnify them, while filtering out all positive aspects of a situation. A single detail may be picked out, and the whole event becomes colored by this detail. When you pull negative things out of context, isolated from all the good experiences around you, you make them larger and more awful than they really are.
    Distorted or not, I relate to this.
    5. Catastrophizing: You expect disaster. You notice or hear about a problem and start "what if's." What if that happens to me? What if tragedy strikes? There are no limits to a really fertile catastrophic imagination. An underlying catalyst for this style of thinking is that you do not trust in yourself and your capacity to adapt to change.
    To some extent this.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsghost View Post
    you're amazing
    That's just pure 14 in this context .