Thread: Getting to know an Enneagram type 6

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Getting to know an Enneagram type 6

Recently I concluded that I'm really an E6, and not an E1 as I previously thought. The tritype though is probably 6-1-3, and so the confusion originated from this I suppose.
    Anyway, what is an E6 like? In my case, I found it hard to find that I'm a 6 because I'm counterphobic but not excessively like many E6s are, that you can see when you first meet them that they're totally motivated by some group activity like defending their country from illegal immigrants and so on. My particular case is that I'm counterphobic but at the same time I tend to integrate or at least space out from the anxiety and doubts and worries by going to 9, taking lots of Klonopin and being stuporized by this PC, by TV and whatnot... so that the real anxiety never really gets a chance to come out and scream, until recently when I was forcefully put in a rehab clinic for alcohol abuse (this is legal here) and my fear and anxiety because I didnīt for how long I'd be there until it was past one month, then the insecurity as well as the grounded force of the E6's strength came to surface.
    It is interesting to notice that the E6 is totally contradictory and I would like to know from other members who are/know E6s whether they think in a similar fashion about some traits of the E6:

- tendency to pessimism, high anxiety and worries about the future
    - tendency to melancholy, feeling like crying for no reason, i.e., 'depression'
    - do not trust ANYONE not even themselves to a point where life becomes a big plot just waiting to get them when they relax. So they become hypervigilant.
    - tendency to notice TRUE details and hidden messages and hidden connections like in music, logotypes, tv commercials, etc. Tendency to notice when they're being manipulated in any way - good or bad.
    - tendency to shut off from the external environment, which is perceived as stressing, when not clearly dangerous, because in a dangerous environment, a high vigilance is needed to keep yourself alive, and this high vigilance takes its toll as fadigue, physical and/or mental breakdowns when the E6 cannot stand his own anxiety and stress levels anymore and so collapses.
    - tendency to a distorted view of his own self, either as superior or as inferior to others, rarely seen as equal. this leads to hierarchism, and the consequent pursuit of a high position in the human social hierarchy in order to see their qualities.
    - tendency to help others in matters of protection, guarding at least the loved ones from any possible threat is seen as very important and essential to the E6s well-being and self-esteem.
    - overall tendency to overestimate others and underestimate himself.

I'd like to discuss this here.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How about just getting a hug from your dual. What happened to the days when that was enough loving?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the concern and good advice Maritsa.

There is a problem, my beloved I havenīt seen in almost 4 weeks and her mom wonīt let me. So it lets me down and I get the feeling that perhaps she's telling her mom secretly not to let me see her because she doesn't want me anymore. And then I get tired of it all and mad and want to break lots of stuff and beat some people and get tired of the world, which is a great mess. And this world has led that woman I'm in love with to psychosis. This world should be destroyed and built anew, itīs a shame no leader has the balls to do so like Hitler tried to do. You probably donīt like this part abt destruction and rage but itīs just what comes out of me right now.

But anyway, back to the OP, letīs discuss E6s, if anyone wishes to do so.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Emo.

Last edited by Absurd; 02-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    - tendency to pessimism, high anxiety and worries about the future
    When I'm in a negative or unhealthy state, sure
    - tendency to melancholy, feeling like crying for no reason, i.e., 'depression'
    My melancholy is never without any sort of reason.
    - do not trust ANYONE not even themselves to a point where life becomes a big plot just waiting to get them when they relax. So they become hypervigilant.
    I've never really been paranoid about the world if I haven't found a reason to be.
    - tendency to notice TRUE details and hidden messages and hidden connections like in music, logotypes, tv commercials, etc. Tendency to notice when they're being manipulated in any way - good or bad.
    lol, I've never seen myself do anything like that. If I have, then I would almost never consider those connections I make to be "true"
    - tendency to shut off from the external environment, which is perceived as stressing, when not clearly dangerous, because in a dangerous environment, a high vigilance is needed to keep yourself alive, and this high vigilance takes its toll as fadigue, physical and/or mental breakdowns when the E6 cannot stand his own anxiety and stress levels anymore and so collapses.
    Hmm, I have definitely caught myself shutting out the world around me when I'm really stressed. I wouldn't really call myself 'vigilant' in those cases though, because I'm only really paying attention to myself in those kinds of moods.
    - tendency to a distorted view of his own self, either as superior or as inferior to others, rarely seen as equal. this leads to hierarchism, and the consequent pursuit of a high position in the human social hierarchy in order to see their qualities.
    I have these kinds of thoughts, but I rarely ever act on them.
    - tendency to help others in matters of protection, guarding at least the loved ones from any possible threat is seen as very important and essential to the E6s well-being and self-esteem.
    I do this, but not to the extent you're proposing. I trust that people will be able to take care of things on their own, but I do like to help people out in times of need.
    - overall tendency to overestimate others and underestimate himself.
    Nah, only when I'm unhealthy.

In short, you're still 1w9. You identify too much with self-directed anger and desire for perfection to be anything else.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your telling me repeatedly that Iīm certainly 1w9 is interesting.
    Perhaps I am, and then when stressed I go to 4 and 6, as the wing also goes to its stress point. Possible. But your certainty makes me somewhat wonder how are you so sure of that.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your telling me repeatedly that Iīm certainly 1w9 is interesting.
    Perhaps I am, and then when stressed I go to 4 and 6, as the wing also goes to its stress point. Possible. But your certainty makes me somewhat wonder how are you so sure of that.
    Because you've said lots of things in the past about your desires and neuroses that make E1 much more likely than E6. "I want to be perfect," "my anger is very self-directed," etc.
    Last edited by Galen; 02-24-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool