not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The physics behind introversion and extroversion

The temperaments are often described in terms of energy-- Extraverts having a higher amount of energy, and Introverts having a lower; J-types having a more steady stream of energy throughout the day, and P-types fluctuating.

Physics teaches us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred and/or converted into other forms.

So, how might this law of physics affect a given group of people?

A room full of Extroverts (no Introverts)-- The high levels of energy are continually being passed around, bouncing off the walls, transferred from one person to the other, etc, resulting in non-stop energy and excitement.

A room full of Introverts (no Extroverts)-- Energy level is very subdued. There is no Extroverted energy around to prod anybody into action, so everyone is probably just sitting around, doing his or her own thing, mostly in his or her head. There may be some conversation, but nothing really animated.

A good social gathering (or work environment, or whatever), then, really requires a fairly even distribution between Extraversion and Introversion. Some of the Extraverts' energy will be transferred to the Introverts, helping the Introverts gear up, while also helping the Extroverts to become more calm and focused.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I realize that what I have described in the PP might apply especially to Ep and Ip temperaments, and maybe not so much to the Ej's and Ij's.

The J-types are rather somewhat of a mystery to me, still, as far as how to relate their energy to anything scientific. Where does their energy come from? It just seems so...internally driven. How can a J-type manage to plod along at the same level through his or her entire day? To me-- a Perceiver-- it is almost unfathomable. And also admirable.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to emphasize that IPs fluctuate. Since Introverts conserve, they have energy, they just don't expend it and get returns like Extraverts. But IPs are unstable and can react excitedly if there is a spark, passing it to an IJ therefore creating a steady-unsteady high energy atmosphere.

Though it was an interesting concept.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every chemical element or system strives to become 'stable'. That means it reaches a state of low energy. (In every reaction through exchanging electrons.)

bottom line: room of introverts = something every element wants
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

So what you're saying is that a room full of introverts is the most metal thing ever.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    So what you're saying is that a room full of introverts is the most metal thing ever.
    No, not metal. I'd rather compare it with a flask full of different noble gases. (because they are stable and don't react, you know)
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

Yeah, but gases by definition are high energy.

How about a flask full of alkanes? That way there's high chemical potential energy, waiting for an extraverted spark.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    How about a flask full of alkanes? That way there's high chemical potential energy, waiting for an extraverted spark.
    Works for me.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

Alphaz: in ur thredz nerdin it up.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One could say that the mental "energy" acts upon the emotional "matter" changing the emotional atmosphere but never actually creating or destroying it.

Nethertheless, this question doesn't really make sense. It's based on the equivocation of the word energy. Energy in the contexts of socionics is a metaphorical device, the mechanism in which emotions and perceptions are created and acted upon. Energy in physics refers to actual material substance that acts upon and makes up matter.

I could be interperting the question wrong, but I don't think the two ideas can be related together in anyway that is more than mere semantics of the terms.
    Last edited by Bluenoir; 03-05-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Carl Jung tried to do something similar with energy, using "psychic energy" in the same word as normal kinetic energy. However, it was only in regards to people's inner thought processes, not how they act. It could serve for a good metaphor, nonetheless.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by We Are Carbon View Post
    I think Carl Jung tried to do something similar with energy, using "psychic energy" in the same word as normal kinetic energy. However, it was only in regards to people's inner thought processes, not how they act. It could serve for a good metaphor, nonetheless.
    Yeah, the main thing is that you see the point I am trying to get across.

Energy in physics, is a real observable force. Jung's "psychic energy" as I interpret it, is only a device rather than actual phenomenon. Thats why I don't think the two ideas can really be related in anything more than a play on the word "energy"
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    The temperaments are often described in terms of energy-- Extraverts having a higher amount of energy, and Introverts having a lower; J-types having a more steady stream of energy throughout the day, and P-types fluctuating.

Physics teaches us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred and/or converted into other forms.

So, how might this law of physics affect a given group of people?

A room full of Extroverts (no Introverts)-- The high levels of energy are continually being passed around, bouncing off the walls, transferred from one person to the other, etc, resulting in non-stop energy and excitement.

A room full of Introverts (no Extroverts)-- Energy level is very subdued. There is no Extroverted energy around to prod anybody into action, so everyone is probably just sitting around, doing his or her own thing, mostly in his or her head. There may be some conversation, but nothing really animated.

A good social gathering (or work environment, or whatever), then, really requires a fairly even distribution between Extraversion and Introversion. Some of the Extraverts' energy will be transferred to the Introverts, helping the Introverts gear up, while also helping the Extroverts to become more calm and focused.
    That's exactly what happens to me in a party with my dual cousin. She does all the energy transfering for me to clean up when everyone's left after the party.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html