Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The physics behind introversion and extroversion

  1. #1
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The physics behind introversion and extroversion

    The temperaments are often described in terms of energy-- Extraverts having a higher amount of energy, and Introverts having a lower; J-types having a more steady stream of energy throughout the day, and P-types fluctuating.

    Physics teaches us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred and/or converted into other forms.

    So, how might this law of physics affect a given group of people?

    A room full of Extroverts (no Introverts)-- The high levels of energy are continually being passed around, bouncing off the walls, transferred from one person to the other, etc, resulting in non-stop energy and excitement.

    A room full of Introverts (no Extroverts)-- Energy level is very subdued. There is no Extroverted energy around to prod anybody into action, so everyone is probably just sitting around, doing his or her own thing, mostly in his or her head. There may be some conversation, but nothing really animated.

    A good social gathering (or work environment, or whatever), then, really requires a fairly even distribution between Extraversion and Introversion. Some of the Extraverts' energy will be transferred to the Introverts, helping the Introverts gear up, while also helping the Extroverts to become more calm and focused.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  2. #2
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now I realize that what I have described in the PP might apply especially to Ep and Ip temperaments, and maybe not so much to the Ej's and Ij's.

    The J-types are rather somewhat of a mystery to me, still, as far as how to relate their energy to anything scientific. Where does their energy come from? It just seems so...internally driven. How can a J-type manage to plod along at the same level through his or her entire day? To me-- a Perceiver-- it is almost unfathomable. And also admirable.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  3. #3
    Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Holy Temple of St. Augusta
    Posts
    3,693
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You have to emphasize that IPs fluctuate. Since Introverts conserve, they have energy, they just don't expend it and get returns like Extraverts. But IPs are unstable and can react excitedly if there is a spark, passing it to an IJ therefore creating a steady-unsteady high energy atmosphere.

    Though it was an interesting concept.
    (i)NTFS

    An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

    31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

    Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites


    Fidei Defensor

  4. #4
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every chemical element or system strives to become 'stable'. That means it reaches a state of low energy. (In every reaction through exchanging electrons.)

    bottom line: room of introverts = something every element wants
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  5. #5
    Creepy-male

    Default

    So what you're saying is that a room full of introverts is the most metal thing ever.

  6. #6
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    So what you're saying is that a room full of introverts is the most metal thing ever.
    No, not metal. I'd rather compare it with a flask full of different noble gases. (because they are stable and don't react, you know)
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  7. #7
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Yeah, but gases by definition are high energy.

    How about a flask full of alkanes? That way there's high chemical potential energy, waiting for an extraverted spark.

  8. #8
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    How about a flask full of alkanes? That way there's high chemical potential energy, waiting for an extraverted spark.
    Works for me.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  9. #9
    Creepy-male

    Default


    Alphaz: in ur thredz nerdin it up.

  10. #10
    Le roi internet Bluenoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Zeta Reticuli
    TIM
    Ne-LII
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One could say that the mental "energy" acts upon the emotional "matter" changing the emotional atmosphere but never actually creating or destroying it.

    Nethertheless, this question doesn't really make sense. It's based on the equivocation of the word energy. Energy in the contexts of socionics is a metaphorical device, the mechanism in which emotions and perceptions are created and acted upon. Energy in physics refers to actual material substance that acts upon and makes up matter.

    I could be interperting the question wrong, but I don't think the two ideas can be related together in anyway that is more than mere semantics of the terms.
    Last edited by Bluenoir; 03-05-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

    Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

  11. #11
    24601 ClownsandEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think Carl Jung tried to do something similar with energy, using "psychic energy" in the same word as normal kinetic energy. However, it was only in regards to people's inner thought processes, not how they act. It could serve for a good metaphor, nonetheless.
    Warm Regards,



    Clowns & Entropy

  12. #12
    Le roi internet Bluenoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Zeta Reticuli
    TIM
    Ne-LII
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by We Are Carbon View Post
    I think Carl Jung tried to do something similar with energy, using "psychic energy" in the same word as normal kinetic energy. However, it was only in regards to people's inner thought processes, not how they act. It could serve for a good metaphor, nonetheless.
    Yeah, the main thing is that you see the point I am trying to get across.

    Energy in physics, is a real observable force. Jung's "psychic energy" as I interpret it, is only a device rather than actual phenomenon. Thats why I don't think the two ideas can really be related in anything more than a play on the word "energy"
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

    Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

  13. #13
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    The temperaments are often described in terms of energy-- Extraverts having a higher amount of energy, and Introverts having a lower; J-types having a more steady stream of energy throughout the day, and P-types fluctuating.

    Physics teaches us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred and/or converted into other forms.

    So, how might this law of physics affect a given group of people?

    A room full of Extroverts (no Introverts)-- The high levels of energy are continually being passed around, bouncing off the walls, transferred from one person to the other, etc, resulting in non-stop energy and excitement.

    A room full of Introverts (no Extroverts)-- Energy level is very subdued. There is no Extroverted energy around to prod anybody into action, so everyone is probably just sitting around, doing his or her own thing, mostly in his or her head. There may be some conversation, but nothing really animated.

    A good social gathering (or work environment, or whatever), then, really requires a fairly even distribution between Extraversion and Introversion. Some of the Extraverts' energy will be transferred to the Introverts, helping the Introverts gear up, while also helping the Extroverts to become more calm and focused.
    That's exactly what happens to me in a party with my dual cousin. She does all the energy transfering for me to clean up when everyone's left after the party.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •