Thread: Fi egos and anxiety wondering if somebody likes you

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Fi egos and anxiety wondering if somebody likes you

these are kind of personal, but i'm hoping for some perspective.

does it ever happen that you get anxious or self-conscious wondering if somebody likes you or not? if so, how do you deal with it? does it ever happen that you let less close relationships fall to the side because you just don't think about it? or that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    does it ever happen that you get anxious or self-conscious wondering if somebody likes you or not?
    Yes, I'm human.

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh
    if so, how do you deal with it?
    It depends on the person and circumstances. Ask them how they feel, tell them how I feel, remain silent and choke on my tears, etc.

does it ever happen that you let less close relationships fall to the side because you just don't think about it?
    Yes, I'm quite bad at keeping in touch. It's partly because my feelings about people don't really change over time (static ethical type?), so I don't feel like I need to talk to somebody every few days to maintain the relationship or keep it meaningful, in my mind. I also vacillate between being fairly sociable to being a hermit, with not wanting to talk to most people for several weeks.

or that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real?
    I don't really do this as a habit, but it's happened.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I am particularly bad when it comes to more casual friendships, my upkeep is terrible. I am always open to being friends with people and helping people out, but I typically rely on them to be the ones to say "hey, let's do something," or "I could use your help with xyz."

Once a friendship is strongly established, I can be a very faithful and attentive friend, but it takes me a long time to finally come to the conclusion that a particular friendship is really worth making a concerted effort to maintain. Up till that point, I seem to be constantly (if not always consciously) re-evaluating my relationships with people.

I guess maybe that's where the IEE can sometimes be perceived as "flaky." idk.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does it ever happen that you get anxious or self-conscious wondering if somebody likes you or not? if so, how do you deal with it? does it ever happen that you let less close relationships fall to the side because you just don't think about it? or that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real?
    Are you talking about friendships or romantic relationships?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it happens. It seems like there's a definite pattern to when that kind of thing happens: for me, I only really feel that way when I'm trying to consciously vie for reciprocation in terms of feelings for one another, i.e. I try to create a relationship consciously. This is when I get neurotic and over-analytical because I can't tell if the state we're in is the state that I want us to be in, so I tend to think that we aren't as good of friends. But when strong relationships simply pop up naturally, I never feel a need to question them. It's when they have to be created or consciously fed that I get insecure.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    Are you talking about friendships or romantic relationships?
    either or both.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Sometimes it happens. It seems like there's a definite pattern to when that kind of thing happens: for me, I only really feel that way when I'm trying to consciously vie for reciprocation in terms of feelings for one another, i.e. I try to create a relationship consciously. This is when I get neurotic and over-analytical because I can't tell if the state we're in is the state that I want us to be in, so I tend to think that we aren't as good of friends. But when strong relationships simply pop up naturally, I never feel a need to question them. It's when they have to be created or consciously fed that I get insecure.
    this ding-dinged.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said what I wanted to say much better than I did
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Very much the last bit, in my experience.

I'm big on "building things up in my head about a relationship", real or not, to vicariously live a relationship without consequences, one where I can't really "lose" or be disliked.

Doing that kinda serves to stave off that anxiety and self-consciousness you mentioned first. (i.e. "If he/she likes me in my imagination, well, ...I'll just hang out there and never hafta find out what he/she really thinks.")

Bad idea, FWIW.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boy who never... what? Help me out here, I am Fe-blind. Reading between the lines is not my forte.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    H-ILE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's type related.

Arctures: delta just produces boring people
    Arctures: but that's how we like it

vero: who needs a real person
    vero: That's why I date an SLI

dolphin: someone tell gulanzon adjusting shower water to the right temperature is not si

Kraezz: you just have to do the ****** thing sometimes

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shindaiwa21 View Post
    +1

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by shindaiwa21 View Post
    QFT. +2

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    The boy who never... what? Help me out here, I am Fe-blind. Reading between the lines is not my forte.
    The boy who never fell in love, so the lyrics would have me think. Much of the lyrics state the idea "if you don't try, then you can't fail," so in the context of love this would mean "if you don't fall in love, you can't get hurt by it." I guess this could be extended to "the boy who never did anything" too.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boy who never fell in love, so the lyrics would have me think. Much of the lyrics state the idea "if you don't try, then you can't fail," so in the context of love this would mean "if you don't fall in love, you can't get hurt by it." I guess this could be extended to "the boy who never did anything" too.
    Thanks for the reply.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

All emotive types have confusion of thought because logic is part of the subconscious of all emotive types. You'll rearly see a T type wonder about such a thing. Yes, I wonder about this and I have also seen my Fe sister do this as well; I have never seen or heard any T type wonder or care.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    All emotive types have confusion of thought because logic is part of the subconscious of all emotive types. You'll rearly see a T type wonder about such a thing. Yes, I wonder about this and I have also seen my Fe sister do this as well; I have never seen or heard any T type wonder or care.
    Okay Maritsa what's going on? I mean, it's great that you're contributing, but it seems you are too focused on producing to really consider the inaccurate generalizations you are making.

Confusion of thought is not subdued by logic(just the outward appearance of it), emotions are still present and leave one susceptible to certain information. INTps doubt, INTjs doubt, ENTps doubt, ENTjs doubt etc...I assume Dynamic types are more vulnerable, still, all types are to some extent.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Okay Maritsa what's going on? I mean, it's great that you're contributing, but it seems you are too focused on producing to really consider the inaccurate generalizations you are making.

Confusion of thought is not subdued by logic(just the outward appearance of it), emotions are still present and leave one susceptible to certain information. INTps doubt, INTjs doubt, ENTps doubt, ENTjs doubt etc...I assume Dynamic types are more vulnerable, still, all types are to some extent.
    Sorry about the generalization thing, that's kind of the "bad" side of the pattern making Ne in the ego block. We have to watch for that, but thank you for pointing out that that pattern is not consistent from your experience; it helps us Ne types be more flexible, but generally, Fi is really good at seeing the individual nature. I thought that my comment may have a grain of truth in it in terms of not emotions, but emotive types having their thoughts affected by an emotional reaction to someone they like; that is from observation.

"that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real"

With the above statement, I have observed that women, especially F types, build relationship connections in their own mind about things that are not real, realistic, available, apparent, conjuring up all sorts of connections that are not part of reality.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these are kind of personal, but i'm hoping for some perspective. does it ever happen that you get anxious or self-conscious wondering if somebody likes you or not? if so, how do you deal with it?
    Heck yes. I stress over it a lot. I've gotten to the point where I can see that this is a pattern, and I can tell myself, "It will pass". Not sure whether I always apply this, but... Also, see below about coming on too strongly.

does it ever happen that you let less close relationships fall to the side because you just don't think about it?
    Heck yes. Thank goodness for Facebook and Twitter.

or that you come on too strongly,
    I try to avoid coming on too strongly, so much so that I take the exact opposite route and seem like I don't care at all. The fear, of course, is that if I express/show my feelings and the person doesn't feel the same way, they'll be repulsed.

or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real?
    Oh, yes. I'm facing that one right now.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Sorry about the generalization thing, that's kind of the "bad" side of the pattern making Ne in the ego block. We have to watch for that, but thank you for pointing out that that pattern is not consistent from your experience; it helps us Ne types be more flexible, but generally, Fi is really good at seeing the individual nature. I thought that my comment may have a grain of truth in it in terms of not emotions, but emotive types having their thoughts affected by an emotional reaction to someone they like; that is from observation.

"that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real"

With the above statement, I have observed that women, especially F types, build relationship connections in their own mind about things that are not real, realistic, available, apparent, conjuring up all sorts of connections that are not part of reality.
    Can you for once stop using "we" and "us" when talking about your own behaviour.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Can you for once stop using "we" and "us" when talking about your own behaviour.
    Don't you seriously hate that shit? I mean, not just Maritsa, but when anyone does that.
    Last edited by Park; 02-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, not really, unless I know that I gave them a reason for them not to like me. I'm pretty conscious about what other people know about me, and even choose what I want them to know about me. I'd be more anxious that I gave out info about myself that can be used against me, rather than the fact that they don't like me for it, heh.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

does it ever happen that you get anxious or self-conscious wondering if somebody likes you or not? if so, how do you deal with it?

"wondering" is not the right word. I can only be preoccupied if it's someone I like a lot and I usually know in what ways they relate to me. Sure sometimes it comes down to different types of personality and "emotional sensitivity" (or "love languages" or whatever) in which case I still feel it as a distance from what I'd like things to be like (e.g. my current SEE bf will always be activated by stuff I may not care very much about and vice versa ... we're not the best fit, although we like being together).

rarely. It happened in long-term relationships (after years). I guess I took it as something static, assuming things would remain unchanged. I didn't invest much at some point. But surely that's not the reason why stuff disintegrated, some things just reach their sell-by date. I guess I let it "fall to the side" for a reason.

or that you come on too strongly, or build things up in your head about a relationship that aren't real?
    about a relationship - nope. but it has happened that I experienced a crush this way. I don't know about "coming too strong" because when I'm not sure (doubtful) about a relationship/its outcome, there's a specific kind of ambivalence that comes up and I guess it can act as a brake or it can mess things up further.
    Last edited by Amber; 12-30-2014 at 01:50 PM.

haha this is exactly me. Nicely said @Galen.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post

I try to avoid fantasizing without point about what what a relationship can be. While I was younger I was more anxious. I know how to read people well enough now. I wonder in the beginning till it's clear where we stand, afterwards I give people chances to get to know me or get close to me when I'm interested. I am sometimes a little too subtle and I was told some people I liked a lot didn't even know it or they misunderstood my silence and thought I was not into them. I'm working to change. I am more open and accepting of myself now. If I am not sure and I fear possible rejection, I retreat in myself and over-analyze till I have the answers. If the feeling is not reciprocated yes I am anxious and I think about the person concerned a lot. But I take my distance from him.

I let close relationships take a break once in a while. So fall to the side only for a while. If it's someone I care about, that will get back to how it was, nothing is lost. These ebbs and flows come natural to me. I easily get bored when I let a friendship fall into routines so I prefer it like this.

Unfortunately when I was younger I used to build imaginary things in my head because sometimes I was afraid to let another know how much I want to get close. They couldn't hurt me only in my head you know. At this age obviously I only want something real be it friends or romantic relationships and I am more practical about many things. I refrain from fantasizing much. I test the relationship fast enough and let go if there are too little chances to build something beautiful. I'm not the one to come on too strong. It's more like I let them pursue me and just give them some signs I want them to do that. My problem has been not showing enough I was into someone and I probably lost some things that could have been great because of that.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post

I'm always anxious about whether or not people like me. People I don't already have a close relationship with that is. I won't establish a closer relationship with someone unless I'm quite sure they like me first. I probably shouldn't be even answering this question. I'm not an Fi ego or even an Fi valuer. I just like answering questions and increasing my post count.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP