not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the tendency to laugh at everything

What types are most likely to be found laughing at everything during a conversation, whether it's really funny or not?

I'm remembering back to a time when I was in college, and I was standing in line for something. In the line next to me, this guy was talking with this girl (I don't know if they already knew each other or if they just happened to meet there in line), and every other thing he or the girl said, this guy would laugh hysterically. A very annoying laugh, too. I was not close enough to hear what the girl was saying, but the guy was loud and clear and he wasn't really saying anything funny, yet he kept laughing.

Is this Fe-DS? My LSI brother does this sort of thing occasionally, too (though not nearly to the same extent as in the example above).
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is type related though
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this Fe-DS?
    No.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I've only observed one SEE do it, but I haven't observed others so I haven't applied it as a rule. For me, I have to observe enough people of the same type do something to apply it as a rule.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    No.
    Why not?

And, what is it, then?
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you say you have no idea about the specifics, so the only answer you might get isn't type related. It would likely still be not type related even if the question wasn't so generic, ftr.

When will people finally stop trying to assign superficial traits to types? You already have other typologies for that, Big Five, MBTI, Enneagram..

TIM
    ENTp or ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been known to laugh so hard that everyone in a huge dining facility full of people could hear me. I also got a lot of people turning around and giving me dirty looks. I couldn't contain myself. I just kept on laughing and laughing. The story was just too funny. I later discovered that the person telling the story was my dual.
    Also, one time in church when a friend told me that her husband was going to cheat on her and leave her if she didn't stop talking to an ex-boyfriend of hers, her and I cracked up. Then a chaplain in front of us turned around and said to me, I don't think that's a laughing matter. It's true, it wasn't funny, it was horrible. I didn't think it was funny but I laughed anyway. Weird huh? I don't know why I do that, maybe to reduce stress.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend who has this awkward uncomfortable laugh she uses all the time when she's talking, like every single sentence, even if she's saying something sad. I haven't figured out her type, and this laughing is part of the issue.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When will people finally stop trying to assign superficial traits to types?
    Every deep trait in psychology has to be observed through superficial traits. I'd say the trend of denying that involving superficial traits in determining what types are like is necessary is just as destructive as that of focussing on such traits too strongly.

Without the focus on observable characteristics (i.e. superficial ones), socionics turns into a guessing game, a political tug of war or a relativist hodge-podge.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superficial traits can't be assigned to types, but they could be one part of an overall picture that can point to a person's type.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, labcoat, so what type was that person based on the information you were given? And considering this was all the information you have on this person, what type (one to one relation) keeps laughing all the time whether it's funny or not?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never implied anything along the lines of such a thing being possible.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She didn't ask what type would do it. She asked if it could be Fe dual seeking. I could see weak but valued Fe anyway, like an attempt to elicit emotional reactions, and that narrows it to a quarter of types, which is hardly a specific type, but which is a starting point. Things like that can help to point someone in the right direction, and even then maybe you learn more and you think that in that particular case it isn't type related. It still could be type related in other cases and is still something I could find useful to look at.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI from my experience, at least the females.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not?
    Because you are associating a trait that runs counter to 99% of everything that has been written about IxTjs to that type. They are among the types with the most characteristic emotional reserve and disinclination from emotive release.

On top of that, your claim just doesn't stand to observation. It is mystery how you arrive at it. You should probably think about re-typing the people in question.

Creepy-male

The brighter the sense of humor the darker the past.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Because you are associating a trait that runs counter to 99% of everything that has been written about IxTjs to that type. They are among the types with the most characteristic emotional reserve and disinclination from emotive release.
    Okay. But IXTj's are still Fe-Valuing. So, even if they are not often inclined to emote, if they are constantly in an environment lacking in Fe, wouldn't they eventually be driven to try and create it themselves?

It seems to me the most non-emotive types are more likely to be IXTp's than IXTj's.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laugh a lot, maybe too much. I've done it reflexively a few times when right after I can see the other person might have been wanting comfort more than anything else, which makes me feel terrible. A guy I work with that's some kind of SLE/SEE told me when we hadn't known each other more than a few days that my laugh was fake and it really shook me. I mean, I know I like to smile and laugh in conversations as a social lubricant even if I'm feeling down or they aren't even that funny, but maybe he was right, like deep down none of it was real, some kind of cheerful facade to get people to like me, that I had only ever laughed or smiled for everyone I was with and never for myself. I'm not sure why but I always feel this crazy vulnerability when someone tells me they don't think I'm genuine. It makes me question my humanity or identity in a weird way, like I'm a doll wishing he was a real boy or something. If it hurts when people tell you that, does that mean you're real?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Okay. But IXTj's are still Fe-Valuing. So, even if they are not often inclined to emote, if they are constantly in an environment lacking in Fe, wouldn't they eventually be driven to try and create it themselves?

It seems to me the most non-emotive types are more likely to be IXTp's than IXTj's.
    I agree. I'm guilty of the constant laughing...even at 'inappropriate' times. Today someone was missing from work so I asked where they were and someone told me her friend just got killed and I laughed.

lol

okay well obviously that's not funny but i'm just giving an example of how inappropriate it can be. I don't even realize i'm doing it half the time until someone doesn't laugh back.
    Last edited by jessica129; 02-09-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Creepy-female

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I laugh a lot, maybe too much. I've done it reflexively a few times when right after I can see the other person might have been wanting comfort more than anything else, which makes me feel terrible. A guy I work with that's some kind of SLE/SEE told me when we hadn't known each other more than a few days that my laugh was fake and it really shook me. I mean, I know I like to smile and laugh in conversations as a social lubricant even if I'm feeling down or they aren't even that funny, but maybe he was right, like deep down none of it was real, some kind of cheerful facade to get people to like me, that I had only ever laughed or smiled for everyone I was with and never for myself. I'm not sure why but I always feel this crazy vulnerability when someone tells me they don't think I'm genuine. It makes me question my humanity or identity in a weird way, like I'm a doll wishing he was a real boy or something. If it hurts when people tell you that, does that mean you're real?
    I read this article recently about when we see someone smile, it triggers all these positive reactions in our brain that cause us to smile back. Basically, we have some instincts that mirror other people's emotions. So I wouldn't say it's strange to smile or laugh at someone's problems or conversation. Maybe that IS the comfort you're unconciously trying to bring to the situation. You listen, and want them to feel better, but you've got boundaries, you know? You're probably not going to be able to dive into their arms sobbing and watch Lassie together, so the next best thing is attempting to make them feel better by smiling or laughing. I don't see what's so fake about that. If they don't want to laugh back, they don't have to - but you're trying your best. You're putting yourself out there, without being invasive, and the only thing to do is to wait, and if the person doesn't connect with you, let it roll off your back and move on. They're not obliged to fall into your arms or like your reactions, but there's no reason to question your humanity about it. Just find people you jive with.

There's a lot of context to take into account for my own experience of laughter. Sometimes when I laugh or smile it's not necessarily because I AM happy. It's because I want to GET happy, and I'm trying to bring myself up. Sometimes I use laughter as a defense mechanism because I don't know how else to respond. That doesn't mean I'm fake, and I would generally question the people who would be so rude as to tell you that. Yeah it's their opinion, but it's also their business, and once they tell you, it's your business too and you're free to respond to it in whatever way you want. You know how you really feel, so try reframing it as their inability to grasp nuance or complexity and find other people who get you better.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    post.
    All excellent observations.

I remember one time back when I was in high school and my seventh grade English teacher had been struggling with cancer for quite some time and when she was absent from school for several weeks in a row, we all knew the end was near. Well, the day after she died, I happened to be one of the first among my friends to learn of it, and I can't explain why, but when I started to break the news to my friends, I almost laughed. It distressed me at the time, but Dophin, what you wrote in your post really sheds some light on what probably happened. Also, I might have been feeling a sense of relief for her, knowing that she was finally out of her misery; but still, it was certainly no laughing matter.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What types are most likely to be found laughing at everything during a conversation, whether it's really funny or not?

I'm remembering back to a time when I was in college, and I was standing in line for something. In the line next to me, this guy was talking with this girl (I don't know if they already knew each other or if they just happened to meet there in line), and every other thing he or the girl said, this guy would laugh hysterically. A very annoying laugh, too. I was not close enough to hear what the girl was saying, but the guy was loud and clear and he wasn't really saying anything funny, yet he kept laughing.

Is this Fe-DS? My LSI brother does this sort of thing occasionally, too (though not nearly to the same extent as in the example above).
    Can I just add to clarify, I realize I can't go back and type this guy just from one observation of him (to my knowledge, I never came across him again). Just thinking about the above incident got me thinking in a broader sense, and wondering if I were to come across someone I knew whom I observed to be laughing all the time in non-appropriate instances, if it might be type-related. Obviously, I cannot type a stranger after only one confrontation; but a friend might be another matter. Like my brother, as I mentioned.
    My life's work (haha):

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    He was simply trying to get laid.
    ^most plausible thing in this thread.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know about laughing at stuff that isn't funny... But I think the average adult laughs about 10-15 times a day. I laugh wayyyy more than that.

I laugh at really inappropriate times, too. The worst was when I was in my professor's office (she taught Exceptionalities) and she started playing a Youtube video of kids with Down syndrome singing about being special together. My whole body started shaking and tears welled up as I tried to hold back the laughter... I'm going to hell.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The few times I've done this, it was due to extreme frustration, and I've had mixed reactions from surprise (lol, he's losing it) to concern (Um, are you okay?) to instant avoidance (oh shit, this guy is crazy, pretend you don't notice and get away from him).

Yup. Yes. Indeed. Mmmhmm. Yeah. Definitely. Okay. Alright. Bingo. True. Correct. Right On Target. Of Course.

I think this post is good...good enough for applause from myself.

Yay!

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol I have had the opposite issue my whole life. I don't really laugh like that in real life, unless I'm nervous. My natural personality is to be kinda broody/and laid back.

I've done it reflexively a few times when right after I can see the other person might have been wanting comfort more than anything else, which makes me feel terrible.
    Well don't feel bad about that, I know you're a good guy deep down. I do want to be comforted/protected in social situations though. I've always have. But it's not like I really will care if you laugh, if somebody is really being sensitive about that maybe just playfully punch them on the shoulder and go 'don't be such a fag'. I only want that though because I grew up with parents who were a bit naive and didn't teach good assertive skills. Plus it's part-genetic, plus horrible social experiences I endured in real life with bullies, and growing up in an area where 'gangsta thug lyfe boys' were glorified and being a passive guy wasn't. Like anybody else, I have all sorts of reasons why I am the way I am.

So I'm a bit abnormally sensitive. I've just accepted this about myself. Why be abnormally sensitive about being abnormally sensitive? Just blanket me with your big strong straight man arms okay.

Creepy-Snaps

the tendency to laugh at everything
    Ah hahahahaahaha ha ah ah ah ha h ha ah h ahah ha hahahahahahaha !!!!!! one one one one 11111111111111111111

Serious, on topic though: Maybe it's more correlated with the Merry/Serious dichotomy? Merry Extrovert or Merry Introvert.

Either that, or not sure if it's type related.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I get into these weird moods where I just laugh at everything someone says. It kinda has to do with how close I am to the person emotionally too, I think, like in a sort of weird middle position where we aren't clearly friends or just passing acquaintances with no interest in each other, kinda weird. NTR in any case.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Merry/Serious" is just about Fe-valuing or Fi-valuing. It isn't about laughing or not laughing.

Another post on why I don't like Reinen Dichotomies. If people just said "Fe-valuing" then people wouldn't think all Fe-valuing people are merry, and all Fi-valuing people are serious. But we have this poorly worded redundant and unnecessary classification system to add in and confuse people.