Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Iris (of the eye) and personality

This is not particularly new research, but it interests me, as I've begun looking carefully at eyes.

What are your irises like? Do you see any similarities between yours and others of your quadra?

The iris is the window to the soul

A fascinating paper just released online suggests that patterns in the iris of the eye can give an indication of personality.

The research has been led by psychologist Mats Larsson and looks at relationship between measures of personality and the ‘crypts, pigment dots, and contraction furrows’ of the iris.

BBC News covers the research, as does a post on the Living the Scientific Life blog. There’s also some excellent background material to the research on a page from Larsson himself.

The paper itself is only available to subscribers to Biological Psychology. It seems the free summary isn’t available online yet, but this is an interesting excerpt from the introduction of the paper on previous studies:

The idea that personality differences are related to iris characteristics is not new. In 1965, Cattell observed differences in cognitive styles between blue and brown eyed subjects (Cattell, 1965) and since then eye color has been found to be related to a great variety of physiological and behavioral characteristics. Dark eyed people have on average higher scores on extraversion, neuroticism (Gentry et al., 1985), ease of emotional arousal (Markle, 1976) and sociability (Gary and Glover, 1976). However, there are a number of studies that fail to replicate the personality findings, typically because the effect tends to fade after early childhood. For instance, Rubin and Both (1989) found that blue-eyed children in kindergarten and Grade 2 were overrepresented in groups of extremely withdrawn youngsters, whereas no association could be found in Grade 4 or between eye color and extreme sociability in any grade.

According to Larsson’s more recent research, a gene called Pax6 is involved in both the development of the eye, and the development of an area of the frontal lobe called the anterior cingulate cortex or ACC.

The ACC is known to be involved in attention and inhibiting automatic responses, and there’s plenty of evidence to link it to personality-relevant traits like empathy and self-control.

Larsson found that ‘crypts’ were significantly associated with five personality characteristics (Feelings, Tendermindedness, Warmth, Trust and Positive Emotions) whereas ‘contraction furrows’ were associated with Impulsiveness.

I can’t say I’m entirely clear what ‘crypts’ and ‘contraction furrows’ look like, but there’s a description on Wikipedia and you can click here to see the diagram from Larsson’s paper in a popup window.

If it comes as a surprise that the same gene could influence both the eye and brain development, it’s actually not that strange an idea based on what we already know.

The retina, like the brain, is part of the central nervous system, so genes that code for the eye could also be associated with brain development.

Furthermore, the face develops from some of the same cells as the brain during the early stages of embryo growth.

This is why disorders that cause learning disabilities are sometimes associated with distinctive facial features (e.g. Down syndrome, Williams syndrome).

One other recent development worthy of note is that governments and businesses are now set on storing iris information to use as ID.

For example, the UK government wants to encode iris information on passports and keep copies on database to use in iris recognition systems in a system that is being trialled at the moment.

This might mean that personality profiles could be generated from biometric data.

How accurate they might be remains another question, but as with any centralised population sample, the concern is that those with unusual results may be scrutinised more closely using other methods, or deemed to be ‘risky’.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Creepy-male

my eyes are green, olive color green

I was born with blond hair and blue eyes, but my melanin caused my hair to eventually get darker and now its brown and my eyes are green and not blue.

Around the edge of my iris its a little blue and near the center of my eyes its brownish/gold, with an olivey green color fading between the two extremes as the dominant color that is seen far away.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    Thanks Golden, that's interesting. I had no idea such research existed. From doing VI, I'd long noticed distinctions in pupil and iris contrasts between quadras, IEs, and types.
    oh really? would you mind sharing your observations?

(and DON'T say "it's hard to describe".. that's unacceptable! )
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but this kind of research sounds ridiculous and a waste of time.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    Er, well, I think the Superbowl is a waste of time but don't need to comment in threads to disparage it. Some people enjoy it, and I don't begrudge anyone their interests.

I considered writing a response about eyes, genetics, and personality, and how those things are relevant to Socionics and fascinating to me, but never mind.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I only heard of using iris observation in medical diagnosis, which is considered pseudoscience, but it's based on iris undergoing changes - and indeed many older people claim theirs have changed during life, so how would that recognition system work over time? Not to mention it seems possible to fake using contact lenses.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beer holder you betas you.

Creepy-Snaps

Not sure if you can relate eye color/density/pupil dilation/etc. to quadras.

But the eyes are the windows to the soul. Pupils are the only part of the body that someone can't control. If you want to tell if someone is lying, look them in the eyes.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    It's interesting nonetheless. And I think there is a correlation between eyes and brain development, some genes affecting both. Good read. Not sure how it could be implemented, for job interviews, eye scanners in the future, etc., but interesting for psychology and socionics.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Er, well, I think the Superbowl is a waste of time but don't need to comment in threads to disparage it. Some people enjoy it, and I don't begrudge anyone their interests.

I considered writing a response about eyes, genetics, and personality, and how those things are relevant to Socionics and fascinating to me, but never mind.
    awww, no!! Write it, write it! Please do share, i'm interested....
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's type related and I'm also doubting a recognizeable correlation between general personality traits or the brain and eye colour.

Dark eyed people have on average higher scores on extraversion, neuroticism (Gentry et al., 1985), ease of emotional arousal (Markle, 1976) and sociability (Gary and Glover, 1976)
    Definitely not correct in my case. I should have blue eyes if this was true. By the way: both of my parents are blue-eyed just as my brother whereas I have dark eyes which are mostly green and olive. My knowledge about genetics is extremely limited, but I thought this wouldn't be possible because the 'blue' allele is recessive and someone with blue eyes always has two blue alleles. Does anyone know something about this stuff? I guess it's not so easy to explain and understand.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    I don't think it's type related and I'm also doubting a recognizeable correlation between general personality traits or the brain and eye colour.

Definitely not correct in my case. I should have blue eyes if this was true. By the way: both of my parents are blue-eyed just as my brother whereas I have dark eyes which are mostly green and olive. My knowledge about genetics is extremely limited, but I thought this wouldn't be possible because the 'blue' allele is recessive and someone with blue eyes always has two blue alleles. Does anyone know something about this stuff? I guess it's not so easy to explain and understand.
    I've read of these eye color/personality correlations that they tend to disappear after early childhood.

I'm not an expert but do know that eye color is taught overly simply in high schools, etc., as if only one gene were involved in producing eye color. That's not the case; eye color is linked to a lot of different genetic sites, and only some of them have been pinpointed so far, I believe. I've read, for example, that hazel eyes are still not genetically understood.

Although brown eyes will often swamp out blue and green (and hazel and gray, etc.) owing to overall dominant/recessive genetic differences--and we see this in the U.S. on a society-wide level--it's totally possible for two brown-eyed parents to have blue-eyed children. It's even more possible for blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed child, I think. You can look up the more complicated/technical explanations online.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's totally possible for two brown-eyed parents to have blue-eyed children. It's even more possible for blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed child, I think. You can look up the more complicated/technical explanations online.
    The bolded part is totally clear to me. If both parents have brown eyes, but still have the recessive blue allele, there is a chance that the child get one blue allele from both of them and has therefore blue eyes. However, the next sentence wouldn't be possible regarding my knowledge about this. If the blue allele is recessive, you need two blue alleles to have blue eyes. That means you can't have a brown allele because this one would automatically be dominant and cause you to have brown eyes. But thanks nevertheless, I can see it in myself that this issue is not entirely explored.

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I suppose green/olive would qualify as being in the blue spectrum, so, the theory imo would still hold true in your case. There are different hues and some may run clear in the family line. Does anyone else in your family have olive coloured eyes? One my dad's side, many family members have distinct greyish-blue coloured eyes.
    Well, you'd be right if this would be light green. I mean a green you immediately recognize. But my eyes are very dark, it's hard to see if they're green or brown, they're mainly just dark. I'm not sure what eye colours my grandparents had, I would have to ask first.

An acquaintance of mine seriously believed that all blue eyed people are liars.
    ...which makes northern Europe the kingdom of liars?
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-Snaps

An acquaintance of mine seriously believed that all blue eyed people are liars.
    I hate ignorant stereotypes.

And two parents with blue eyes can only have blue eyed children, as brown eyes is a dominant gene, and blue eyes is a recessive gene.

Same goes for blonde hair. Two blonde parents can only have blonde children. Blonde hair is recessive, darker hair is the dominant gene.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    I don't have two parents with blue eyes but this sound remarkably similar to what occured with me, as a kid I picked up the gene for blue eyes from my dad and blonde hair from my mom and on my birth certificate it reads like that but eventually my hair changed to brown and my eyes to green/olive. It seems like some mixed expression like how red and white flowers will occasionally produce pink flowers.

Hair/Eyes are determined by melanin content in the skin.

There is also this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

actually the genetics get more complex, its not as simple as blue/brown eyes and brown/blonde hair....

I mean their are red heads, black hair, highlights, steel eyes, hazel eyes, green eyes, etc.... generally it really relates to the melanin content in your skin, without melanin every person's eyes would appear blood red.

Creepy-male

for the hell of it....

here is a photo of my iris

now type me lol

(ftr I don't think this is type related haha)

The colors around the edges may not be clear because of glare but the background in blue and it fades with the brownish/gold hue to make it green/olivey from further away.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Feeler types in Socionics are VI'd as having rounded foreheads.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    for the hell of it....
    now type me lol
    Alpha!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Just read the paper, it has nothing to do with eye colour (although it reviews some of the literature) - it's all about the lines and dots on the iris and correlations with Big 5 personality traits.
    Right! Thanks for pointing this out. The findings are about structures in the iris.

Creepy-male

Alpha!
    AMAZING!!!!! !LSDKLJGSLKJGLK#%@#%!@!!!!!!

That's a 100% statistical correlation, this must be TRUE!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Feeler types in Socionics are VI'd as having rounded foreheads.
    Okay, if I find a study on foreheads, I'll be sure to post it up.

I'm betting that the NF forehead is something like this:

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Just read the paper, it has nothing to do with eye colour (although it reviews some of the literature) - it's all about the lines and dots on the iris and correlations with Big 5 personality traits.
    Yeah, I meant that, sorry. I just summarized it under the term 'colour' even if the other features like dots and lines matter.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-male

iridology is almost 99.99% bullshit, the concept is possible, but in order for it to have any basis in my opinion one would have to establish an actual physical mechanism as to why it works.

For example showing how the structure of the iris is formed, and how personality can relate to that... it would probably require an intense understanding of the biology/formation/structure of the human eye and an intense understanding of neurology and personality.

It wouldn't be required to show the exact mechanism for how it works, it would just be required to show that there is a physical link to how personality and the eye is linked.

If that occurred the idea would be founded at least on a foundation.

Right now its pretty much just a bunch of bullshit.

Statistic don't sway me either, because statistics are only useful when you know what you are doing. Bias and improper procedures can lead to tainted results.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Hayley: you can always make association with socionics groups, and/or have people self-type by descriptions, then identify their iris type. That should soon give you the answer as to whether there might be anything to this system.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I'll give this a shot ... So far as I can tell, my irises are like the flower ones. They look much more like extrovert eyes than I would have expected. They show right-brain dominance. And they have strong "rings of purpose."
    Last edited by golden; 02-11-2011 at 12:28 AM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My eyes are dark brown. It's hard to find some of this. The flower eyes are ugly, but I have a little bit of flowering at the bottom. I have a thick ring of determination and can't tell whether I have a ring of freedom; I probably don't. My eyes are clear (no jewels) and are darker near the pupil. So what does that mean?

I think I bonded with a baby today by looking into her pupils.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll bite. Here's a picture of my eyes. Any personality associations you get?

LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't really believe in this, but I think it's a cool idea to post our eyes. I wanna see everybody's peepers!

My scary eye:

Creepy-bg

this one got washed out by the flash but I like the effect it did to my pupil

Creepy-bg

according to april and comparing with those pictures Hayley posted, I have flower irises right? is there anything else going on with them? I don't really get the descriptions of what some some that stuff looks like.

anyways, the flower personality description matches.
    Last edited by bg; 02-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Creepy-bg

this thread made me obsessively try to take a good picture of my eye, and fail. I can't open my eyes wide enough to do a good picture.

anyways, at least i got one that shows the blue better with natural outside lighting.

Creepy-male

does your camera have a "macro" button, which should be shown as a picture of a tulip, that can be used to prevent blurring close in.

then of course turning the flash off is good and hanging out by a light source.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the VeeEye begin!

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I wanna see everybody's peepers!
    April, we have a very similar eye colour. Dark green with a little rust.

I have such a dull look.

EDIT: Okay, due to my self typing as LII and my general personality I should have lots of jewels in my eyes. However, there are none but flower structures instead. That's not really true, because the flower type suggests a quite emotional personality. But: extroversion/introversion seems to be correct according to the page posted by Hayley and the brain dominance is also quite obvious. That would make me a right-brainer.
    Last edited by Pa3s; 02-13-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    does your camera have a "macro" button, which should be shown as a picture of a tulip, that can be used to prevent blurring close in.

then of course turning the flash off is good and hanging out by a light source.
    yeah it's in there somewhere... i think i had it set to auto or something. idk i screwed around with a bunch of settings and it just made it worse than the picture when i didn't screw with anything.

Creepy-bg

so far april and I have the best eye lashes. we should make babies.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    we should make babies.

Okay.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    so far april and I have the best eye lashes. we should make babies.
    Our future child.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
    If you check the links I posted earlier they should help you to work out what kind of eyes you have under the Rayid Iris System but since your eyes are dark brown you may need a torch to light them up and get a good look or have someone else look closely and tell you what they see.

The ring of determination means:
    These people often appear inflexible and intractable, their perception of the world seems based hype on their own internal attitudes rather than observation.

They often assume a rigid attitude or position and can stand with it judgementally.

This can sound somewhat negative however the Ring of Determination also manifests with these positive characteristics: determination, devotion, self-realization and self-sufficiency.
    I researched. http://www.middlepath.com.au/eyesite/rings.php
    Turns out that's a "Ring of Purpose," not a "Ring of Determination." I don't have a ring of freedom, but I have a ring of harmony.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast