Thread: Difficulty working out if sick

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Difficulty working out if sick

Last edited by Hays; 05-30-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gonna say me.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Creepy-bg

i don't feel like i get grumpy over physical stuff or if i don't see it that way. I just withdraw, if anything. when i get sick i usually know it days before i actually start showing symptoms. something in my mind just goes "you're sick" and then i start to feel it days/hours later.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    i don't feel like i get grumpy over physical stuff or if i don't see it that way. I just withdraw, if anything. when i get sick i usually know it days before i actually start showing symptoms. something in my mind just goes "you're sick" and then i start to feel it days/hours later.
    wow that's amazing to me, seriously.

i often don't recognize right away illness, physical discomfort, hunger, stress, etc. or what causes them, or their effect/s on me. i'm not naturally good at paying attention to what my body is telling me, though i think i've gotten better over time.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, Hayley. If you're asking: who has trouble exercising when he/she is sick, I would have to reply "everyone"? If you're asking: who has trouble recognizing the sickness and thus still tries to exercise, yet cannot manage, then polr would also be my choice, yeah.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
    Which type or types regularly have difficulty working out if they are stressed/over tired/sick etc until after the problem has passed and then they might finally put the picture together and say something like "Oh I was grumpy etc because I was sick !".
    Eh? I thought this happens to everyone?

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm not sure, Hayley. If you're asking: who has trouble exercising when he/she is sick, I would have to reply "everyone"? If you're asking: who has trouble recognizing the sickness and thus still tries to exercise, yet cannot manage, then polr would also be my choice, yeah.
    I'm pretty sure that she meant "has trouble exercising" as "figuring out" not "physical exercise"

@glam or whoever... I often tune this stuff out too. Like I catch myself sitting around in a really uncomfortable position for hours, then suddenly notice that I'm all cramped up. or once i get sick... idk i don't really pay attention to it.

idk this is a weird topic to answer... i feel too immersed in my physical sensations to really be able to say. it's just part of my world, not something that I really feel like I "notice". it's there, it's immediate, it's what i feel or it's something that I put to the back of my awareness (strangely by being immersed in it). ehh.. idk what to say or how to describe it.
    Last edited by bg; 02-01-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kind of asking what types are consistently quite clueless with figuring out if they are unwell etc until after the event.
    Based on my personal experience, it's usually the Intuitive types.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this happens to anyone with weak Si, whether or not it's valued

I certainly identify with what Hayley describes.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I'm wondering if Si is 3rd or 4th function for me.

When I'm sick, I pretty much know it. But I feel like I've gotten better with this over the years through experience. I try to use Airborne right away for colds, etc. I figure, if I pay attention and try to corner it immediately, I'm better off in the long run. I'm a home/natural remedy freak. I rarely go to the doctor and would rather deal with things myself, if possible.

I don't like it when I eat too much and feel like crap afterwards so I intentionally avoid this. I hate the feeling of throwing up so I try to avoid that too (duh, doesn't everyone?). I used to be SCARED of throwing up so much that I would almost freak out if I thought I was exposed to the flu. It worried me a lot. (wth?? lol now I laugh at myself about that)

As for working out/exercising, I don't even try to do that if I'm sick. No way. Why would you push your body to perform when you don't have the energy to even do basic work/tasks?

When it comes to dressing for the weather, I usually assume everyone can take care of themselves which can be a problem when you have kids. I have to constantly remind myself that they're CHILDREN and they need advice about what sort of thing to wear in what sort of weather. Truth is, I'm not always the best at judging it, even for myself. It would almost be easier to live someplace that was always cold or always hot so that I automatically knew what kind of wardrobe I needed on any given day. The worst is the in-between weather! Like April! Do I need long sleeves or short sleeves? Will I freeze if I don't wear a sweater or jacket? UGH, the bane of my existence.

Does this sound like role or PoLR??
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bionicgoat understands .
    Maybe I should have written "difficulty figuring out" instead of "difficulty working out". I will go and change it.

Ohhhh. I thought you were talking about exercize too. For the real question then - I know when I'm sick and when I'm getting sick. I'll do what I can to stave it off.

For the question I had assumed - it depends on how sick I am. I'll exercize through a cold or mild illness because it makes me feel better, but if I'm really sick, then no.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this could hpapen with any Intuitive type, as WA pointed out. Though, Si-valuers are more likely to at least try to be more aware of when they are sick and to treat themselves accordingly.

There have been times in my life where I have just tried to ignore the problem, thinking it would just go away...those have been the times where the consequence of ignoring my illness have been the most severe.

Once I let myself suffer through bronchitis for three months before finally seeking medical help, at which point it took two whole rounds of antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

More recently, I ignored the signs of returning gallstones until they landed me in the ER on Thanksgiving night.

Both the above experiences have taught me valuable lessons, and in the future I will not be ignoring those symptoms.

My husband is Si-Role and while he is usually better than me at recognizing the signs that he is sick, he is also much more likely to ignore it and try to plough through anyway, chugging down Day-Quil and Ny-Quil and whatever to try and mask the symptoms while he continues with his regular activities. I prefer not to rely on medications and rather take it easy as much as possible to get over the illness sooner.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always know when I'm stressed or sick or whatever. Or... there's no "knowing", my sickness or my stressedness is equal to myself. No distance between myself and these things. It's very inconvenient. Some people can just continue working if they have to when sick. It sounds cool to me. I am not able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I don't know. I'm wondering if Si is 3rd or 4th function for me
    You think you could be EIE now?

I used to be SCARED of throwing up
    haha! I haven't throwed up since I was like 5 or 6 years old. I was scared of it as a kid, and even today, I can't do it, even if I'm sick and feel like throwing up. I'm kind of curious what it would feel like.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I always know when I'm stressed or sick or whatever. Or... there's no "knowing", my sickness or my stressedness is equal to myself. No distance between myself and these things.
    cool. pretty much what I said except you did it with less ...s and idks.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's easy for me to tell when I'm sick but no as much when I'm stressed. Sometimes it will take me a while to figure out that i need to take a step back and just relax.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice every tiny little detail of how I feel physically, and it affects my emotional state to a large extent. If I feel sick (i.e. fever, stuffy, groggy), then I can barely make myself do anything. I basically sit around all day, sucking on zinc lozenges and cough drops. I basically become an OCD prissy boy who insists on proper rest and nutrition.

I basically become Hercule Poirot (Ti LSI 1w9 like me too, lol):

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But aren't you Se subtype?

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't know. I'm wondering if Si is 3rd or 4th function for me.

When I'm sick, I pretty much know it. But I feel like I've gotten better with this over the years through experience. I try to use Airborne right away for colds, etc. I figure, if I pay attention and try to corner it immediately, I'm better off in the long run. I'm a home/natural remedy freak. I rarely go to the doctor and would rather deal with things myself, if possible.
    this means that the function is in your conscious block; as opposed to myself, I was sick for 5 months with a very bad bacterial infection and didn't even know it until an Si type pointed out that I was looking pale and that I looked dehydrated, etc. When I went to the doctor last month, I found out that I was really sick and it was very serious. I just don't realize how I got so bad. Si for me, is in the subconscious.

I don't like it when I eat too much and feel like crap afterwards so I intentionally avoid this. I hate the feeling of throwing up so I try to avoid that too (duh, doesn't everyone?). I used to be SCARED of throwing up so much that I would almost freak out if I thought I was exposed to the flu. It worried me a lot. (wth?? lol now I laugh at myself about that)
    when I eat too much, my appetite shuts down all on it's own and I can't force it open so that I can eat more and gain weight. My Si functions without my conscious control. It sometimes does weird things to me, makes me crave things and I can't put my finger on what it is that I am feeling or that I want.

As for working out/exercising, I don't even try to do that if I'm sick. No way. Why would you push your body to perform when you don't have the energy to even do basic work/tasks?
    I'm an excersize-a-holic and I love to walk, so I'll just walk mindlessly, like a zombie when I'm sick, but usually, I enjoy Si when I'm sick, warm tea, cozy, soft sheets and no noise.

When it comes to dressing for the weather, I usually assume everyone can take care of themselves which can be a problem when you have kids. I have to constantly remind myself that they're CHILDREN and they need advice about what sort of thing to wear in what sort of weather. Truth is, I'm not always the best at judging it, even for myself. It would almost be easier to live someplace that was always cold or always hot so that I automatically knew what kind of wardrobe I needed on any given day. The worst is the in-between weather! Like April! Do I need long sleeves or short sleeves? Will I freeze if I don't wear a sweater or jacket? UGH, the bane of my existence.

Does this sound like role or PoLR??
    I think it's Role
    I dress everyone in an extra layer, for protection just in case it's colder then I think it will be because I can't accurately measure how cold is a certain degree of cold too cold or too warm. For years I would wear long sleeve shirts in tank top weather in LA; my ESE sister would stair at me in puzzled glance saying, "really, it's like 98 outside." I just kept saying that I didn't feel it. I always layer, even in California weather.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html