Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Twilight books Beta books?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are the Twilight books Beta books?

Just wondering. I have no plans to read the books myself. But I find it interesting that the members of my family who have read the books are all Betas (except for my dad, who is probably Alpha). The rest of us who have not read it are all Deltas or Gammas, and we all agree that the books do not interest us at all.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What really struck me about the first book though was the vacuousness of it. Their love appeared to run on pure lust, and Bella seemed quite unremarkable. If these are 'Beta' books, what exactly makes these books appeal to Betas?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    Yes. They are the epitome of Beta quadra.
    wth? no.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the books are beta, but I think the (bad) actors are Delta.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe bet that it's beta; I'm not going to assert that all of beta is contained in it or that all betas would be attracted to the stuff, but it's definitely a subset of what beta represents.

Lust is
    Add in a major Se influence and we have a deal. I wouldn't say I'm generally motived by anything describable as "lust". It takes something more for that.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may finish the series one day, but the first book did not endear Bella to me. Spineless twit. uke:

Um.. Why would lust be ?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Add in a major Se influence and we have a deal. I wouldn't say I'm generally motived by anything describable as "lust". It takes something more for that.
    I suppose many Twilight fans wouldn't call it exactly "lust", but the idea of Fe seems pretty appropriate here. Basically a strong emotional passion drove their relationship. I didn't feel like there was any 'glue' to their relationship, and I wouldn't say that they 'fit' together. Very much an adolescent fantasy with no deeper meaning behind it.

The book was dripping with sappiness. Vapid sappiness, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like "passion" as a general description of Fe. I'm very passionate about most of the Ne/Si pursuits that I delve into; possibly even seeing the pursuit of passions as the main metric of meaningful progress in life. "Lust" on the other hand is something rather foreign to me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I found the books primarily uninteresting. I did not view the movie(s).

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-male

Are the Twilight books Beta books?
    Is this pen red?

Is this woman wearing a blue dress?

Are these men gay?

Does this vampire sparkle?

Do Gammas Suck?

If you answered yes to at least 100% of the questions, its possible that twilight is gay.... I mean beta....

here's a graph

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The series is absolutely shitty, but much as it pains me to admit it... yeah, it is Beta.
    Last edited by Aleksei; 01-27-2011 at 01:01 AM.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh. Yes, unfortunately, Twilight does exhibit a basic LSI-EIE relationship pattern. Nevertheless, any person with any modicum of taste can distinguish between Twilight and anything approximating quality, story, or a novel.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

NOPE Gamma books; the author is SEE type.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    NOPE Gamma books; the author is SEE type.
    Delta/Beta all the way.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twilight can bend over while I insert a bully stick up its ass.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly felt dumber after having read the first twilight book. It felt like it was written by a 12 year old. The characters are just so...blah. There's no substance. I don't know if it's Beta or not....the only reason i was so curious to keep up with the movies was because of all the hype. Had it not been for that, there's no way it could've become such a hit because it sucks. And I hate the fact I have to keep watching them to find out what happens even though the entire time I can't help but think how corny and childish the whole thing is.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I honestly felt dumber after having read the first twilight book.
    Never read it, seen the film only. The chick is good.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I honestly felt dumber after having read the first twilight book. It felt like it was written by a 12 year old. The characters are just so...blah. There's no substance. I don't know if it's Beta or not....the only reason i was so curious to keep up with the movies was because of all the hype. Had it not been for that, there's no way it could've become such a hit because it sucks. And I hate the fact I have to keep watching them to find out what happens even though the entire time I can't help but think how corny and childish the whole thing is.
    I felt dumber after reading several excerpts on the internet.

If you're so curious... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiligh...#Plot_overview. Or google one of Twilight fan pages. You'll get that excuse of a plot in several minutes, without the brain degenaration caused by hours of exposure.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    I felt dumber after reading several excerpts on the internet.
    That means I'm smarter than both of yous. Hah, I knew it.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i read the Twilight books, and they aren't Beta. most of the main characters, especially the ones that the author treats the most sympathetically, aren't Beta. i don't know what type Stephenie Meyer is anymore, but she isn't Beta either.

Twilight = not Beta.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever it is its crap
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Creepy-male

Don't worry, Gamma! You get Nic Cage to balance Stephanie Meyer out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Twilight so popular? Anyway, I have only watched the movies so far, and I thought the storyline is unremarkable. I don't find myself feeling for the characters either.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Argh. Yes, unfortunately, Twilight does exhibit a basic LSI-EIE relationship pattern. Nevertheless, any person with any modicum of taste can distinguish between Twilight and anything approximating quality, story, or a novel.
    Both Bella and Edward are IEI in my opinion (Edward is IEI-Fe and Bella IEI-Ti). If they were Beta J duals though, my money's on Bella-LSI, and Edward-EIE.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bella the character is maybe supposed to be IEI, but that actress is very wooden and I think maybe SLI, she's just an awful actress, and I think the book is poorly written enough and between that and the bad acting it's hard to pinpoint. But she seems like she has to be a victim.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have happily avoided Twilight. But I will say that the author also wrote this:

http://www.amazon.com/Host-Novel-Ste...6144129&sr=8-3

And for genre fiction, it's reasonably deft. (I worked on the U.S. edition of it.) I have to assume she improved as a writer.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I have to assume she improved as a writer.
    That's a dangerous assumption, from what I've seen of the book.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the films were rather Gammaish, it had the heavily melodramatic - romance but the melodrama is far too emotionally muted to be valuing, there's no warmth there, but that could just be because the actors are wooden idk
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    That's a dangerous assumption, from what I've seen of the book.
    Actually it's a fairly safe assumption. Pretty much anything is an improvement over the eye-gougingly horrifying prose Twilight was saddled with. If I'd been forced to read the actual book (I read an MST), I probably would not be able to type this, due to having clawed my eyes out.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... disregard what I said, I misunderstood Golden's comment.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I thought the films were rather Gammaish, it had the heavily melodramatic - romance but the melodrama is far too emotionally muted to be valuing, there's no warmth there, but that could just be because the actors are wooden idk
    that's how the romance in the books is too. (i haven't seen the movies so i can't comment on them)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    I think Bella the character is maybe supposed to be IEI, but that actress is very wooden and I think maybe SLI, she's just an awful actress, and I think the book is poorly written enough and between that and the bad acting it's hard to pinpoint. But she seems like she has to be a victim.
    i agree Bella is a Victim, but i think she's ILI. in the books it's clear she does not like dealing with Fe, when she uses it it's only because she feels she has to, and then it's rather mechanical and formulaic how she does it, imo. it's a "oh, i think they want me to smile now, so i'll do that so i don't look weird" kind of thing. she doesn't use Fe to naturally and consciously communicate how she's really feeling, or to manipulate other people's emotions like an IEI would. Edward (ESI) watches out for how she's feeling, and is able to do so even without Bella explicitly expressing emotion.

also look at her relationships with various characters. with her father (SLI), she gets along very well with him, and both enjoy the fact that they do not have to be particularly expressive or emotionally demonstrative with each other. their communication is very straightforward and undramatic, and both people appreciate this. they live together at a relaxed, easy, undemanding pace (Irrationals, Ip temperaments.) also Bella becomes fast friends with people like Alice (SEE) and Jacob (SEE), who are both good at pushing Bella to do things, and if they don't succeed they keep on trying. Bella doesn't get along particularly easily with Rosalie (a Beta, who dislikes Bella, and obviously displays Aristocracy with her behavior.)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK well those are pretty good arguments, and I can see it, so I'll think about that one. ILI I can see.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    that's how the romance in the books is too. (i haven't seen the movies so i can't comment on them)

i agree Bella is a Victim, but i think she's ILI. in the books it's clear she does not like dealing with Fe, when she uses it it's only because she feels she has to, and then it's rather mechanical and formulaic how she does it, imo. it's a "oh, i think they want me to smile now, so i'll do that so i don't look weird" kind of thing. she doesn't use Fe to naturally and consciously communicate how she's really feeling, or to manipulate other people's emotions like an IEI would. Edward (ESI) watches out for how she's feeling, and is able to do so even without Bella explicitly expressing emotion.

also look at her relationships with various characters. with her father (SLI), she gets along very well with him, and both enjoy the fact that they do not have to be particularly expressive or emotionally demonstrative with each other. their communication is very straightforward and undramatic, and both people appreciate this. they live together at a relaxed, easy, undemanding pace (Irrationals, Ip temperaments.) also Bella becomes fast friends with people like Alice (SEE) and Jacob (SEE), who are both good at pushing Bella to do things, and if they don't succeed they keep on trying. Bella doesn't get along particularly easily with Rosalie (a Beta, who dislikes Bella, and obviously displays Aristocracy with her behavior.)
    The only hole in that reasoning is that Alice is not SEE, but ESE, meaning she'd conflict with Bella if Bella was ILI.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashton your such a douche.

If stephanie myer is IEE then the book is IEE
    The people I know who've read the books and liked them: IEE, ILE less so.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screeching Twilight fangirls are EIE followed by ESE. Gammas actually tend to criticize the book for being overemotional, but shallow.

i've read each and every one of them with an average of 3,5 days when they first came out.in hindsight, i go in wtf mode everytime i think of it.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    The only hole in that reasoning is that Alice is not SEE, but ESE, meaning she'd conflict with Bella if Bella was ILI.
    The only hole in that reasoning is that you believe Alice is ESE.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting thought, and it fits together. But I think we can all agree that this isn't geared towards an ILI audience. Why would an ILI protagonist be so 'catchy' for a non-ILI audience?

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    The only hole in that reasoning is that you believe Alice is ESE.
    Alice is this manic excitable party-obsessed pixie child. She's like... a walking ESE stereotype.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

this is good...i've thought of bella as ESI, but this is convincing. i've also thought of jacob as ESE, though, but i'm not strongly opinionated about it.

and i actually see alice as sort of an SEE sterotype.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast