not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is my brother an INFj?

They're not the greatest pictures, but they're what I've got.

[pictures removed]

I have gone through the different type profiles with him to try and determine his type. At first, he said he thought he was a Thinker (when I read the dichotomy descriptions), but I've always thought he was a Feeler. And when I read the Fi-Base description to him, he was all, "ooooooh yes. That's me."

At the same time, though, he really struggles socially. He fits the typical "geek" stereotype well. He's always fretting about how he can get girls to like him and give him a chance.

He strives for an ideal of childhood innocence...he loves children, and probably wishes he were still one himself.

He has a rich imaginative world-- always has. He seems to live more in his head than he does in the real world. Which is why I am also considering INFp for him, or even INTp.

When he starts talking about something personal, he doesn't want to stop. If he can find a willing audience for one of his various novel ideas, he will share until he's gone from beginning to end, losing track of all time.

He idealizes me. I don't know why. But he has always wanted to be like me, or marry someone like me. Or so he says. But then, the girls that he really ends up showing the biggest interest in are really not much like me. He's funny that way, I guess.

He says he wonders sometimes if he might be depressed.

He struggled in school. He is quite intelligent, but the school system really wasn't designed for his type. He has always been a slow worker. He worked hard, though, and managed to pass all his classes.

He can get really obsessive about some new thing that he's discovered. Like two Christmases ago, he bought himself the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie after seeing it in the theatre and drove everyone nuts watching it over and over and talking about it to anyone who would listen.

He values family above all else. He says he always wants to live close to home (our parents, that is), like even next-door or across the street. He has hated having to leave for college, especially having to leave our little sister (who is six) behind. He loves being her big brother.
    Last edited by pianosinger; 01-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why aren't you considering LII?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Why aren't you considering LII?
    Well. Tell me why I should, and maybe I will
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said "geek".

This is the16types.info, you're supposed to stereotypically assume all introverted and thinking types when you use words like that
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yes he is. ...

INFj's like INTj's are very geeky
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you saying you're geeky?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post

I have gone through the different type profiles with him to try and determine his type. At first, he said he thought he was a Thinker (when I read the dichotomy descriptions), but I've always thought he was a Feeler. And when I read the Fi-Base description to him, he was all, "ooooooh yes. That's me."

At the same time, though, he really struggles socially. He fits the typical "geek" stereotype well. He's always fretting about how he can get girls to like him and give him a chance.
    How many times have you seen me do this? look in the delta lounge and all over the forum and you will see...anyway, you mean "he frets about how he can't get girls to like him" right?

He strives for an ideal of childhood innocence...he loves children, and probably wishes he were still one himself.
    Ne is very "childlike"

He has a rich imaginative world-- always has. He seems to live more in his head than he does in the real world. Which is why I am also considering INFp for him, or even INTp.
    absolutely!
    If we're not doing art to show that imagination then we'll be dreaming it. Minde is very extravert in her INFj art part and so in Van Gogh. I have a few artistic abilities, like acting and giving speech, drawing and painting, but I have been busy with other things and not really doing them. Gisele Bunchen and I dabble in the modeling..

When he starts talking about something personal, he doesn't want to stop. If he can find a willing audience for one of his various novel ideas, he will share until he's gone from beginning to end, losing track of all time.
    that's fine, there's no indication of Extravertion here. I talk, or write, like a maniac; that's perfectly normal..and I've found an audience for my ideas here too..that's Ne

He idealizes me. I don't know why. But he has always wanted to be like me, or marry someone like me. Or so he says. But then, the girls that he really ends up showing the biggest interest in are really not much like me. He's funny that way, I guess.
    We sometimes idealize people we love and God too, if we're of the religious lot.

He says he wonders sometimes if he might be depressed.
    Fi - that' a big possibility...and Fi subconscious is also sometimes prone to this sort of thing.

He struggled in school. He is quite intelligent, but the school system really wasn't designed for his type. He has always been a slow worker. He worked hard, though, and managed to pass all his classes.
    I couldn't go to big schools, like USC, because of this. It's about personable schools. We need an environment where Fi is nurtured, but also protected. Where our emotions are not tied to our work and where ridicule of our work does not affect our emotions. So, the key is, smaller schools and humanities.

He can get really obsessive about some new thing that he's discovered. Like two Christmases ago, he bought himself the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie after seeing it in the theatre and drove everyone nuts watching it over and over and talking about it to anyone who would listen.
    oh YES OCD is the nickname of INFj's with regards to our Ne...it's part of our trivializing and part of our fascination with ideas. And, part of this is also overanalyzing our ideas due to weak Ti (Ti role).

He values family above all else. He says he always wants to live close to home (our parents, that is), like even next-door or across the street. He has hated having to leave for college, especially having to leave our little sister (who is six) behind. He loves being her big brother.
    Family, relationships are all about Fi. Living close to home is also very emotionally important to INFj's because we take such care of our loved ones emotionally, even though we don't do it quite as often as other types do, most of this care is more mental then actually physical (and a large part of the doing actually exists inside our head, because we are introverts and we dream and conjure up all kinds of fantasied about what we do and have done); no matter what, we still value this aspect about us and our families. It's the Fi bond that's been created that we can't easily separate from; we live and thrive for our loved ones...there's nothing more important then relationships in life, not money, not wealth, not riches, nothing matters if you don't have people around.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

IDK, is that sexy?

@pianosinger

Does your brother repeat himself? Or, does he repeat some random things? Like, saying the same things over and over again? That's a BIG BIG clue to whether he's INFj or not.
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my guess is a logical introverted type, but I don't have a strong opinion on it either way, except that what you described could indicate strong Ni (not necessarily valued though)
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pianosinger, do you know anything about his E-type?

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    IDK, is that sexy?
    lol.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Have you decided on his type?
    -

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you decided on his type?
    well, INFj still seems most possible, but idk...I am actually considering INTj now, too...but idk, I'm not so sure about Ti-Base.

I've actually also...flirted with the idea that he might even be my Identical...
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your brother repeat himself? Or, does he repeat some random things? Like, saying the same things over and over again? That's a BIG BIG clue to whether he's INFj or not.
    I'm curious why this would be the case.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    yeah, me too.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Muni, sorry I took such a long time to get back to you on this, but I don't know why with creative, that EII get stuck in trivialities and repeat themselves on a single topic several times. This was observed by Filatova and I am trying to find you the direct quote.

In any case it's in here, probably:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...t=filatova+EII

If I find the direct quote, I'll post it up.
    -