Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 47

Thread: Differentiating STs

  1. #1
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Differentiating STs

    I have a pretty easy time spotting STs but it's harder deciphering them from that point until I know them a lot better. Are there some easy ways to tell them apart *initially*?

    For instance, I know this ST woman who I had typed ESTj and am now considering ISTj for her. For some reason, it's been hard to pinpoint! It's not always easy to determine if someone is more extroverted or introverted. They can appear one or the other pretty easily, especially when older. Obviously functions need to be considered but the problem with that is that if you're Ti/Se, you will also be good with Te and Si, just not value it as highly or focus on those things as much. It can be very easily confused in casually relating to someone.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Befriend them - I'm not entirely joking here. There's been peoples types I've been unsure of, only for it to become apparent when their inner self, that is they become more relaxed, and also if they bug me and why. Sucks if eventually find out they're not compatible, but no substitute for direct experience imo.

    Otherwise you might just have to guess forever, and guess at the next XSTj you meet etc.

  3. #3
    EffyCold thePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    TIM
    ??
    Posts
    1,897
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I have a pretty easy time spotting STs but it's harder deciphering them from that point until I know them a lot better. Are there some easy ways to tell them apart *initially*?

    For instance, I know this ST woman who I had typed ESTj and am now considering ISTj for her. For some reason, it's been hard to pinpoint! It's not always easy to determine if someone is more extroverted or introverted. They can appear one or the other pretty easily, especially when older. Obviously functions need to be considered but the problem with that is that if you're Ti/Se, you will also be good with Te and Si, just not value it as highly or focus on those things as much. It can be very easily confused in casually relating to someone.
    ti se comes across different in the dominant position vs the demonstrative, intuitively, it feels like there's a different weight that different functions have when implemented, with base + creative packing a particular impact
    when used by a person.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

  4. #4
    limNol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You could try blasting them with Fe and see whether they enjoy it or run away crying. A lot of times the Fe/Fi divide is one of the easiest things to pick up on when you don't really know someone.

    LSIs seem more controlled and quietly intense IME. LSEs are more dynamic and "out there" with their energy even though they often come across as business-like and unemotional. Both types can give the impression of being very critical, but LSIs are critical about ideas, LSEs about Te-related activities, factual correctness, competency, etc. Both have weak Fe, but whereas LSIs are more waiting to be drawn out of their shell, LSEs are more relaxed about Fe and just don't really give a fuck about it.

    Finally, both types are good at getting things done and project an aura of competency, but LSIs are more steady and disciplined whereas LSEs have a more managerial style.

  5. #5
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't know if its your conflictor or your activator. Interesting.

  6. #6
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Agreed. I have trouble with this as well, especially LSE/LSI. They have a similar rigidity to them. And I often find that conversation stalls with LSIs when I don't have a common activity to discuss (not so much with SLEs IME, possibly because they talk... the whole time...).

    I thought I'd be able to come up with some good ways of telling the difference, but no... I think you just have to get close to them, and also do some testing, you know, say some really off the wall stuff to see. It's more that I have trouble getting along suspiciously well with people I've previously typed as delta STs, to the point that I want to retype them as beta STs. But usually once I type someone as beta ST, I don't change my mind.

    EDIT: I also really don't like listening to LSIs whine (which they do frequently, when they feel someone has broken one TEH RULEZ), and so I tend to type them Delta ST in revenge for being annoying, lol.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  7. #7
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limNol View Post
    You could try blasting them with Fe and see whether they enjoy it or run away crying. A lot of times the Fe/Fi divide is one of the easiest things to pick up on when you don't really know someone.
    I've found this to be the case as well.

    LSIs seem more controlled and quietly intense IME. LSEs are more dynamic and "out there" with their energy even though they often come across as business-like and unemotional. Both types can give the impression of being very critical, but LSIs are critical about ideas, LSEs about Te-related activities, factual correctness, competency, etc. Both have weak Fe, but whereas LSIs are more waiting to be drawn out of their shell, LSEs are more relaxed about Fe and just don't really give a fuck about it.

    Finally, both types are good at getting things done and project an aura of competency, but LSIs are more steady and disciplined whereas LSEs have a more managerial style.
    I totally agree with your LSE description btw. And thanks for the insights on LSIs.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  8. #8
    "Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    near Russia
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Obviously people type in very different ways, so for me it's hard to give advice. I think I am very subjective. It's about the overall impression, and I don't actively distinguish between functions and the feeling I get from relationship factors. At least not in the beginning. In this case ESTj and ISTj is a very big difference because the former is my supervisor and it's easy to feel that after interacting for awhile. ISTj feels more relaxing to interact with for me, but also less attractive.

  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, well, well. Look who is SEEKING Ti, to differentiate things, put them in categories, sort them out....YOU.

    This is where Ti role, activators and Ti dominant types kick butt, but it would be really really hard to get your Activity relations to do this because they only suggest, they don't do.

    Where is squark???? Show your talent!!!

  10. #10
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's my analysis, from my limited Ti...

    LSE -routine, efficient, would rather do something in a manner that conserves energy, so they will set up routines like doing the laundry on certain days and keeping things in order. They make plans and stick to them. Unlike SLI, they have more active energy, less in their head and more involved with external objects, working and staying active to create through activity. Walk upright with their chest out, make rigid movements when walking and focused on activity...make people who are not paying attention pay attention by pointing to the objective.

    LSI- by the use of Se are more likely to run to change the light bulb a thousand times, before figuring out what's wrong with the unit -therefore being Productive, rather then Efficient (This is called ignoring Te for favor of Ti), which means, they don't take time to figure out what's wrong with the unit that produces bad light bulbs, if the light bulbs are cheap to replace. Make lists and cross them off as they do their activities, this is prioritizing activities.

    SLI-show that they can categorize things like LSI and demonstrate (that's why it's called demonstrating function), that they can, like LSI make lists and cross their activities off. Enjoy a rich inner sensory life, but great at building solid works because all that conserved energy comes to use in a helpful moment. They ignore Se, in favor of conserving energy, which is Si.

    SLE-pleasant, optimistic attitude, very friendly, unlike LSE, don't look rigid and serious. They demonstrate Te, ability to be concerned with facts in whatever they are interested in. Their primary function, Se is geared towards experiencing the external world, in a robust energy with sometimes an impulsive drive...which gets them in trouble at times. They ignore Si, conserving energy in activity, for Se which is expansion of energy.


  11. #11
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Well, well, well. Look who is SEEKING Ti, to differentiate things, put them in categories, sort them out....YOU.

    This is where Ti role, activators and Ti dominant types kick butt, but it would be really really hard to get your Activity relations to do this because they only suggest, they don't do.

    Where is squark???? Show your talent!!!
    All I know is, I'm beta NF. bring on the Ti and Se in whatever order you want!

  12. #12
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also have trouble differentiating STs at times! I think temperament helps in the process.

  13. #13
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LSI vs LSE. Both seem somewhat strict, stiff.

    Amongst a group of people, LSIs are a lot more reserved compared to LSEs. LSIs are somewhat stone cold, waiting for someone to “blast them with Fe,” as it was mentioned. I guess I can attest to this, as its hard for me to mold myself with everyone else. People always ask me, "hey whats wrong." I dunno, nothings wrong, I'm just naturally quiet I guess. I feel somewhat awkward and aloof at group gatherings, and I won't really feel in the groove of things unless that ice is melted off me. I feel like I am definitely really intense and emotional on the inside at times...but nobody ever notices it. I always feel somewhat left out/unnoticed/taken for granted and it makes me angry often...I dunno if LSEs feel this way.


    I feel like LSEs are a lot more naturally easy going and they can easily mold in with everyone else. The ones I know also have big smiles. The LSEs I know have this political correctness about them and will never do anything “overboard” that make them look like fools. So I guess they want to be seen as normal as possible. Sometimes I feel repressed around LSEs because they give me this “what the hell are you doing” kind of feel. Overall IMO, they are less intense and serious than LSIs

    ---

    SLI vs SLE. Both have this kind of loose and relaxedness about them.

    SLEs are extremely bold and outspoken. The ones I know aren't afraid of anybody. If somebody pissed them off they wouldn't be afraid to tell that person off or atleast let it be known. On the good side, they are extremely friendly and down to do anything fun with you. I love hanging out with SLEs because they aren't very wishy-washy when it comes to doing stuff. They just “do it,” I guess.

    SLIs are really chill. I agree with Maritsa about them wanting to conserve energy. I don't really want to describe them as being lazy, but compared to LSIs they are much less uptight when it comes to doing routine work. They are very confident in their ability to get things done, but they seem to have a play/relax/eat first before doing work kind of mentality. Whereas for me, I can't relax until I do all my work first. They also love exploring and trying many different things. The one I know wants me to go off to different restaurants with him weekly lol.

  14. #14
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Peter, that analysis is not Ti, that is Te, which is comparing (you picked two at a time to compare them between each other, that's Te). Ti does not compare, it categorizes. Aghhh...YOU'RE LSE. CATEGORIZING LISTS ALL 4 OF THEM AND MAKES CATEGORIES FOR EACH THING TO COMPARE AND CONTRAST TO.

    This is a category chart...

    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1444&bih=724

  15. #15
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, just no. lol

    If you actually knew me and thought I was Extraverted...LOL

    I compared because people here are comparing LSIs vs LSEs...so I picked a similar format.

    I've been sure of my type since day 1. Ain't no doubt in my mind. Nope.

  16. #16
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    LSI vs LSE. Both seem somewhat strict, stiff.

    Amongst a group of people, LSIs are a lot more reserved compared to LSEs. LSIs are somewhat stone cold, waiting for someone to “blast them with Fe,” as it was mentioned. I guess I can attest to this, as its hard for me to mold myself with everyone else. People always ask me, "hey whats wrong." I dunno, nothings wrong, I'm just naturally quiet I guess. I feel somewhat awkward and aloof at group gatherings, and I won't really feel in the groove of things unless that ice is melted off me. I feel like I am definitely really intense and emotional on the inside at times...but nobody ever notices it. I always feel somewhat left out/unnoticed/taken for granted and it makes me angry often...I dunno if LSEs feel this way.
    This is wrong. Because of the rigid and "cold" external expression of both LSI and LSE, both can look like each other and both can look like they don't have a rich inner emotional life which both do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    I feel like LSEs are a lot more naturally easy going and they can easily mold in with everyone else. The ones I know also have big smiles. The LSEs I know have this political correctness about them and will never do anything “overboard” that make them look like fools. So I guess they want to be seen as normal as possible. Sometimes I feel repressed around LSEs because they give me this “what the hell are you doing” kind of feel. Overall IMO, they are less intense and serious than LSIs
    No. They are both pretty rigid in their own ways, the difference between the two is one is efficient and finds the quickest and cheapest way to do something to conserve energy and the other does not. This isn't true either. The LSE I know like engaging other is overboard like joking with curse. They don't withhold themselves and are not "ashamed" really of their behavior. "Shame" is really more associated with Fi role.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    SLI vs SLE. Both have this kind of loose and relaxedness about them.

    SLEs are extremely bold and outspoken. The ones I know aren't afraid of anybody. If somebody pissed them off they wouldn't be afraid to tell that person off or atleast let it be known. On the good side, they are extremely friendly and down to do anything fun with you. I love hanging out with SLEs because they aren't very wishy-washy when it comes to doing stuff. They just “do it,” I guess.

    SLIs are really chill. I agree with Maritsa about them wanting to conserve energy. I don't really want to describe them as being lazy, but compared to LSIs they are much less uptight when it comes to doing routine work. They are very confident in their ability to get things done, but they seem to have a play/relax/eat first before doing work kind of mentality. Whereas for me, I can't relax until I do all my work first. They also love exploring and trying many different things. The one I know wants me to go off to different restaurants with him weekly lol.

    I seriously can't read any more of this Peter. You keep claiming to be Ti, but what you're doing in ALL of your posts is Te.

    LSI are so sensitive about matters of security and privacy, that they will often keep things under heavy lock and key or security, setting up passwords and other NSA like stuff, that LSE don't do...:wink: This may stem from the issue of Fe DS and the topic of Trust.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 01-16-2011 at 06:32 AM.

  17. #17
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    No, just no. lol

    I compared because people here are comparing LSIs vs LSEs...so I picked a similar format.

    I've been sure of my type since day 1. Ain't no doubt in my mind. Nope.
    We don't want a comparison. Ti is not comparison....Te is comparison. Ti is categorizing to see what things match and what things don't. Ti ignores comparing to do categorizing. If you were Ti then you could ignore comparing to categorize, which you didn't do here. I'm right and you just don't want to see it my way because you think you're right; sometimes you can be wrong too. Don't be so stubborn, please.

  18. #18
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Well, well, well. Look who is SEEKING Ti, to differentiate things, put them in categories, sort them out....YOU.

    This is where Ti role, activators and Ti dominant types kick butt, but it would be really really hard to get your Activity relations to do this because they only suggest, they don't do.

    Where is squark???? Show your talent!!!

    Oh man -the pressure - I'd better not screw up!

    If I can just compare myself to LSEs that I know, won't be universal for every LSE/LSI, but could be helpful nonetheless. . .

    I've noticed that LSEs love to share their knowledge. If there's an ear for them, they'll talk. Lecture might be a better word, because it's usually one-sided and they don't hear much input. Subject matter differs from one to another, but pouring large amounts of Te on any willing recipient is pretty common ime. I tend not to speak unless I have something interesting I really want to say, or the other person is specifically asking for something.

    I'm far more impulsive than LSEs. Just yesterday I flooded my house this way. I fixed it, but man what a mess, just because I did something and THEN let my brain catch up. I blame it on NE polr, hah, not looking at the possibilities of what could happen. And it's that when I feel the need to do something and get it done, I just go for it. (Btw, normalizing LSIs won't be as impulsive, so this one is definitely not a universal.)

    LSEs that I know are good hosts/hostesses, paying attention to their guests, making sure they have what they need and are comfortable and such. I'm not. I'm much more of a "fend for yourself" kind of person. I don't like to serve, but LSEs often seem to take a kind of pleasure in it. (stereotypical Si stuff, but there is some truth to it.)

    As far as temperament and energy goes. . .hmm. I had an LSE boss for a few years, and it was very easy to work with him, and I was able to keep up without any problems. And they seem to have a steady kind of energy, not rushed, just continually going. I'm an odd case in that I'm not typical to the IJ descriptions in this one particular. I run around and jump on/over things for fun in a sporadic kind of way whether working or playing. If I'm steadily plodding along, I'm probably very exhausted.

  19. #19
    Sir Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    We don't want a comparison. Ti is not comparison....Te is comparison. Ti is categorizing to see what things match and what things don't. Ti ignores comparing to do categorizing. If you were Ti then you could ignore comparing to categorize, which you didn't do here. I'm right and you just don't want to see it my way because you think you're right; sometimes you can be wrong too. Don't be so stubborn, please.
    Well, I mean, he could be undergoing extreme psychic stress over his Te-transgression as we speak. I mean, he is on fire after all.
    4w5 sp/sx

    Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

  20. #20
    Marie84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    TIM
    EII
    Posts
    2,359
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    No, just no. lol

    If you actually knew me and thought I was Extraverted...LOL

    I compared because people here are comparing LSIs vs LSEs...so I picked a similar format.

    I've been sure of my type since day 1. Ain't no doubt in my mind. Nope.
    fwiw, I thought your vague descriptions were pretty good.
    Maritsa's, as always, are contorted
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

  21. #21
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    My descriptions are not organized (what else is an INFj to do?...NOTHING...I'M GOING TO DO NOTHING ABOUT IT), that's all Marie...I don't have Te in the conscious, that's very normal and I'm not afraid of not being clear because of it. Contort that sister!!!!
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 01-16-2011 at 05:33 AM.

  22. #22
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you were looking for a quick and dirty way to tell delta STs from beta STs, and not just about the LSI vs. LSE example you mentioned, it's all Fe vs. Te. like a couple other people said.

  23. #23
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    As far as temperament and energy goes. . .hmm. I had an LSE boss for a few years, and it was very easy to work with him, and I was able to keep up without any problems. And they seem to have a steady kind of energy, not rushed, just continually going. I'm an odd case in that I'm not typical to the IJ descriptions in this one particular. I run around and jump on/over things for fun in a sporadic kind of way whether working or playing. If I'm steadily plodding along, I'm probably very exhausted.
    I'm comparing to what you said to what Peter said and this is not E/I related...I keep trying to say this about my type too, that activity is not related to E/I, that only association to the external objective world determines whether the person is E/I. I am an Fi because the things of external world effects my internal emotions because I can not remove my emotions from the external objects that I come by...that's all. Because I'm super active and I enjoy social aspects, that doesn't mean I'm an E. I'm still in my feelings when interacting with people on the forum, etc. I'm still building relations; there's no other way to have relations other then to be social...unless you can point out another way?

    The reason why your post is Ti and not Te is because, with the first comparison, you point out KNOWLEDGE as the first category to compare the two. Finally, you point out the other categories, such as impulse and temperment...you eliminated all unnecessary information. You do this, instead of what Peter does, which is compare the two people like two types. See the difference? It's two types of thinking.

    This may be because you're more knowledgeable but I doubt it. I think this is because you're Ti

  24. #24
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    In essence there's metonymic thinking and metaphoric... what I see in comparison to your two posts is the differences between this type of thinking...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonymy

    I think I'm a metonymic learner, mostly because I'm an auditory learner...Peter, you seem to be metaphoric

    Metaphoric compares different systems and metonymic looks at the parts of one system, analysis all the parts of that one system.

    and squark is ....analytic, probably, ??? not sure how to describe this.

    Here's an example...

    If I say Kitchen, what's the next word that you come up with?

    I say Kitchen is followed by Food, because that's metonymic thinking...Food is only one part of the kitchen. The system is the Kitchen, being a part of a home, but food is a part of the kitchen and not the home...while metaphoric sees the other rooms as part of the greater system which is the home.

    You say Kitchen is followed by Bedroom, which is linear thinking, the Bedroom is another room in the house, hence metaphoric thinking.

    Peter, I am analyzing your post because there are so many contradictions. I don't know if this is from lack of knowledge in socionics or mistyping.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 01-16-2011 at 06:50 AM.

  25. #25
    jughead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I for one am not conviced peteronfire is LSI. Make the case. Marista is right sometimes despite the language barrier.

  26. #26
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maritsa tends to label everyone LSE. And everything PeterOnFire says reminds me almost completely of myself and there is no way on gods green earth i'm LSE.

  27. #27
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,625
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In response to OP, something I've noticed is that Beta STs almost always end up being at least somewhat controversial figures in whatever community they're in. Delta STs on the other hand tend to want to blend in and be normal guys/gals.

  28. #28
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to Maritsa, three quarters of the world is LSE, and the other quarter is SEE. Since every person in the world is not LSE or SEE, Maritsa is not reliable at typing. She's sometimes right like a clock sometimes tells the right time, but I wouldn't count on any typing she does.

  29. #29
    Creepy-

    Default

    One of the most obvious differences is, as Squark said, LSEs are very into lecturing about the information they know [seemingly without regard for whether or not lecturees are into being lectured], while LSIs don't really to do this. With LSIs, it's to be more like Q&A session style, contrasted w the LSEs lecture style, since they don't elaborate extensively beyond whatever information is needed or asked for the way LSEs do.

    Also, I've seen both LSEs and LSIs get very angry, and they act very differently when they do... LSEs are more outwardly fiery, and they're quicker to jump to self-righteous justifications while trying to cut down the attackee's character [a bad attempt at being good at Fi]; LSIs seem more quietly contained, but in a very concentrated, you-don't-want-to-mess-with-that way, and their attacks, while not necessarily less personal, are less likely to be aimed at criticizing the attackee's character than an LSE's are.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    All I know is, I'm beta NF. bring on the Ti and Se in whatever order you want!


    On SLI : it would be the first to leave when things get heated.
    Start to argue, turn around... SLI left !

    On LSE/LSI :
    idem, start a fight.
    The one more likely to explode is LSE.
    The one more likely to slice you in 2 is LSI.

    Kind of joking
    I too have trouble telling the differences.

  31. #31
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linalee View Post

    On SLI : it would be the first to leave when things get heated.
    Start to argue, turn around... SLI left !
    yes! So frustrating! It's like... where did you go? Why are you running away? Take the heat, have it out with me. If you cut me off, you're not worth it.

    Maybe I *am* ENFj. I am absolutely not afraid of a fight if it's over something worthwhile. I'm generally quite conflict-averse but give me a good reason and I'll fight.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, one of my uncles is SLI. He spends half of his time disappearing, especially during familial reunions.
    All you have to understand about him is : he is a free person, nothing can force him into staying in an unpleasant situation. He looks complicated and tortured, be really, it's as simple as "I'm free to choose to say no".

    It's weird to think that if you just reverse Si and Te, you get a LSE, one of the most unlikely person to leave without a worthy and loud argument...

    Maybe I *am* ENFj. I am absolutely not afraid of a fight if it's over something worthwhile. I'm generally quite conflict-averse but give me a good reason and I'll fight.
    If you rarely fight, it means that when you do, it's over only very important matters. Which is just right. I wouldn't associate it with you being EIE. But maybe the fighting style is more on the beta side of things ?
    I personally dig uncompromisely in my heels

    My descriptions are not organized (what else is an INFj to do?...NOTHING...I'M GOING TO DO NOTHING ABOUT IT), that's all Marie...I don't have Te in the conscious, that's very normal and I'm not afraid of not being clear because of it. Contort that sister!!!!
    I shouldn't arouse conflict again but... really... it makes me angry to see someone use socionics to justify his/her weaknesses and give it as a reason for doing nothing about it.
    What else is an INFJ to do ? Try to better him/herself !


    Edit : a thought on my LSI father : he's the one who reads the whole manual first, before using a device... If it can help differenciate anything !
    Edit 2 : and a SLE I know had a problem with the baby seat blocked by the car belt. Couldn't unbelt it ! Well... after a raging fight, he just wanted to cut the belt. Yeah, get rid of the problem at its source with maximal force !! My family is nuts
    Last edited by Linalee; 01-18-2011 at 09:31 PM.

  33. #33
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linalee View Post
    Edit : a thought on my LSI father : he's the one who reads the whole manual first, before using a device... If it can help differenciate anything !
    Edit 2 : and a SLE I know had a problem with the baby seat blocked by the car belt. Couldn't unbelt it ! Well... after a raging fight, he just wanted to cut the belt. Yeah, get rid of the problem at its source with maximal force !! My family is nuts
    lol... as for the manual thing, I'm not sure if it's type-related, but my brother and I (both beta NF) tend to get things to work intuitively while my dad (SEI-Fe) will read through an entire manual first before touching anything. And my IEE mom just throws up her hands without trying and says "someone else do it, please!"

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Okay, it's definitely not type-related ! I play it by ear like you.
    My sweet IEI mother doesn't use devices. Or she uses it like she would arrange a flower bouquet.

  35. #35
    Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Holy Temple of St. Augusta
    Posts
    3,693
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not that difficult really.

    LSE Arrogant
    LSI Adamant
    SLE Aggressive
    SLI Aloof
    (i)NTFS

    An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

    31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

    Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites


    Fidei Defensor

  36. #36
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    It's not that difficult really.

    LSE Arrogant
    LSI Adamant
    SLE Aggressive
    SLI Aloof
    I like that.

  37. #37
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They're stereotypes and can be misread, sure, but given that (and that's true for a lot of Socioncis stuff) it's not bad.

  38. #38
    High Priestess glam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,388
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteronfireee View Post
    LSI vs LSE. Both seem somewhat strict, stiff.

    Amongst a group of people, LSIs are a lot more reserved compared to LSEs. LSIs are somewhat stone cold, waiting for someone to “blast them with Fe,” as it was mentioned. I guess I can attest to this, as its hard for me to mold myself with everyone else. People always ask me, "hey whats wrong." I dunno, nothings wrong, I'm just naturally quiet I guess. I feel somewhat awkward and aloof at group gatherings, and I won't really feel in the groove of things unless that ice is melted off me. I feel like I am definitely really intense and emotional on the inside at times...but nobody ever notices it. I always feel somewhat left out/unnoticed/taken for granted and it makes me angry often...I dunno if LSEs feel this way.


    I feel like LSEs are a lot more naturally easy going and they can easily mold in with everyone else. The ones I know also have big smiles. The LSEs I know have this political correctness about them and will never do anything “overboard” that make them look like fools. So I guess they want to be seen as normal as possible. Sometimes I feel repressed around LSEs because they give me this “what the hell are you doing” kind of feel. Overall IMO, they are less intense and serious than LSIs

    ---

    SLI vs SLE. Both have this kind of loose and relaxedness about them.

    SLEs are extremely bold and outspoken. The ones I know aren't afraid of anybody. If somebody pissed them off they wouldn't be afraid to tell that person off or atleast let it be known. On the good side, they are extremely friendly and down to do anything fun with you. I love hanging out with SLEs because they aren't very wishy-washy when it comes to doing stuff. They just “do it,” I guess.

    SLIs are really chill. I agree with Maritsa about them wanting to conserve energy. I don't really want to describe them as being lazy, but compared to LSIs they are much less uptight when it comes to doing routine work. They are very confident in their ability to get things done, but they seem to have a play/relax/eat first before doing work kind of mentality. Whereas for me, I can't relax until I do all my work first. They also love exploring and trying many different things. The one I know wants me to go off to different restaurants with him weekly lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Song View Post
    One of the most obvious differences is, as Squark said, LSEs are very into lecturing about the information they know [seemingly without regard for whether or not lecturees are into being lectured], while LSIs don't really to do this. With LSIs, it's to be more like Q&A session style, contrasted w the LSEs lecture style, since they don't elaborate extensively beyond whatever information is needed or asked for the way LSEs do.

    Also, I've seen both LSEs and LSIs get very angry, and they act very differently when they do... LSEs are more outwardly fiery, and they're quicker to jump to self-righteous justifications while trying to cut down the attackee's character [a bad attempt at being good at Fi]; LSIs seem more quietly contained, but in a very concentrated, you-don't-want-to-mess-with-that way, and their attacks, while not necessarily less personal, are less likely to be aimed at criticizing the attackee's character than an LSE's are.
    good posts

  39. #39
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Delta ST and Beta ST values are fairly distinct. Beta STs (SLEs in particular, but LSIs are not immune to this) will be far more prone to hubris and self-aggrandizement. They're also more likely to bend to authority, but simultaneously less likely to follow instructions to the letter or efficiently.

    Temperament is a quick and easy way to tell them apart as well.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  40. #40
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Squark, do you plan in advance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •