Thread: Gaming style and preference

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gaming style and preference

Last edited by aixelsyd; 08-12-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In strategy games, I tend to use a lot of offensive diversion tactics so I can hold more ground more of the time. Then when I've worn the enemy down and have a lot more resources and honed a particular strategic disadvantage I can use, I start gambling by trying to steamroll them with it. This works in most games, but I suck at Star Craft.

In MMO type games, like Wow, I prefer classes with good tanking or healing abilities. It's a lot more engaging to play those classes for me if there is a lot of potential for spell/ability variability. Otherwise, I get bored.

In adventure games, I prefer more archer and barbarian classes, which is probably also why I like adventure games like Crysis and Metal Gear Solid where there is a lot of opportunity for tactical stealth. Games that require honed reflexes and repeating the same repetitive sequences like in Counter-Strike, bore the hell out of me.

Cool thread. I've never thought about this before.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go for something with the potential to build up to an impervious defense, and proceed to build up said impervious defense. If my opponent does the same, and the game is balanced enough that there's no such thing as an absolute stalemate, then it becomes an interesting game of picking apart each other's defenses. Somewhat as a consequence of this, I usually go for healer/defensive mages, usually with some form of counterspell/dispell and a token offensive spell, since they usually have the most potential to get into the sort of -oriented faceoff that I like. Strong, immediate offensives do often catch me off-guard and defeat me early on, but I treat those as nuisances that at their best add a layer of complexity to the preparation stage, rather than as a valid strategy in their own right. When I perform that kind of right-at-the-start offensive myself, it's more as a way of saying "Now play fair, spend some of your early resources on defense" than as something that I actually want to win by doing.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-male

I like melee classes that hit big. In DnD 3.5, it was the dual-scythes weapons master (experimental character strictly, only got to play it in NWN2 ). In WoW, it's been the enhancement shaman and the warrior. I typically like hybrid tank/damage characters that can take a beating so I'm always at liberty of wading into a crowd and wreaking havoc, or taking my fights with plenty of leeway for error. I really hate ranged classes because I want to be in the thick of things, and I despise how vulnerable these classes tend to be if someone closes in on them (looking at you, WoW hunters ).

In PvP, I like classes that have good control. I like the feeling of walking into a fight and having it decided by who knows their tricks and tools, their enemy's, and what to do and when; in other words, a battle of wits. These are usually the spellcasters.

Basically: I like being the star. I like being in control. I like being invincible.

...which one of us was the SEE again?

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my limited experience, I usually prefer some type of spell-casting-defensive-mage, or something with high agility.

The former is probably because it's a tad more supernatural, more removed from this world, but also because, at least in the specific game I'm thinking of, you could give buffs to people, which often meant you were more wanted.

On less of a practical level, it seems more sophisiticated than someone with high attack points going into battles and fighting, like the studious nerd who eventaully overcomes the strongest players through his smarts (a bit of wish fulfillment too, I guess! )

And, at least in my game, the mage was less dependant on his weapons, and more dependant on what skills he could use, so while the fighting characters would need strong weapons and potions to be able to fight, I could fulfil my purpose by just regaining health and casting spells.

The latter (the one about agility) is probably just related to my love of ninjas.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I stockpile things. I level up. I try not to continue on until I'm overprepared. This method annoys my SLE brother, who rushes into fights as quickly as possible.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more of a tabletop gamer than a video game player. When I play something like DnD (3.5, because 4.0 is more restrictive to me) I prefer playing a mid-level bard for the cleverness and creativity involved. If the game is more combat heavy then I lean more towards a ranger or a pally. In 4.0 I was a big fan of the Warden. I like to try and recreate that in 3.5.

Where tabletop games are concerned, I like games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, Dominion, etc. Not sure how I would classify them other than they're strategy games, lol.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I stockpile things. I level up. I try not to continue on until I'm overprepared. This method annoys my SLE brother, who rushes into fights as quickly as possible.
    You sure you're not ILI?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    You sure you're not ILI?
    Why, do they do that too?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Why, do they do that too?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold
    I love to stock up resources and then come out fully upgraded and optimized. I prefer skilling over PVP in MMOs.
    There's no better way to play, in my opinion.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my estimation, the base function and the PoLR of the EM type together dictate the leisure tendencies of the individual. For example, I'm IEI EM, meaning that my leisure functions are Ni and Te. A few months ago I played Dragon Warrior in little short bursts just for the fun of grinding. NiTe is also the function combination used for writing programs: I've written thousands of lines of code for no ultimate purpose other than my own amusement (although I've experimented with writing code for others' amusement as well... had mixed results with programming altogether and it just seems that whenever I get near to finishing something my energy for the project just collapses). In general it seems that it is very hard to use these functions on behalf of others, without having a specific use of one's own for the project. For one thing, it is very hard to create something that people will not criticize -- beyond questions of the actual competitiveness and usefulness of my programs, I've been criticized for the very means by which I write my programs, in that I tend to try to reduce the work involved as much as possible. You've got to ask yourself whether the risk to your self-esteem is worth the trouble of pushing yourself to create something that may or may not be used by anyone save yourself.

As for the specific aim and form of the activity undertaken, it seems like the quadra of the IM type defines that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    I stockpile things. I level up. I try not to continue on until I'm overprepared.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold
    There's no better way to play, in my opinion.
    I know the feeling.

CILi's Party: Charizard, Lvl. 50.

"Dear Mom: I'm gonna do it! I'm leaving Pallet Town!"

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    I know the feeling.

CILi's Party: Charizard, Lvl. 50.

"Dear Mom: I'm gonna do it! I'm leaving Pallet Town!"
    I go for maximal rate of growth, which in RPGs is usually accomplished by pushing forward in the story... and when playing against a human player, the only way (besides the sudden, unexpected assault that I mentioned) to not get left in the dust.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I go for maximal rate of growth, which in RPGs is usually accomplished by pushing forward in the story... and when playing against a human player, the only way (besides the sudden, unexpected assault that I mentioned) to not get left in the dust.
    Harsh truth but good point, Brilliand.

Stockpiling and multi-player don't seem to go so hot together.

Semi-On/Off-Topic: Is there a "CPU-friendly" game out there that dozens of 16T-ers could play (be it co-op or vs.) to actually see some of these "styles and preferences" in action?

Maybe no one'd be all that interested anyway, but it might be kinda cool to virtually "interact with" and "do something" with other posters to see one more side of all this type-stuff.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Semi-On/Off-Topic: Is there a "CPU-friendly" game out there that dozens of 16T-ers could play (be it co-op or vs.) to actually see some of these "styles and preferences" in action?

Maybe no one'd be all that interested anyway, but it might be kinda cool to virtually "interact with" and "do something" with other posters to see one more side of all this type-stuff.
    I have little enough Internet time nowadays that I probably couldn't participate. Also, along with our playing styles, we've indicated a preference for different types of games, which would make it hard to all play together on a game that makes room for all of our styles.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I actually dislike games where one does not "level up," but I also can't really see the overall "logic" in a leveling system, as it seems to promote discrete change in one rather than constant growth.

Be that as it may... games in which one can level makes more sense to me than games where one cannot. Ideally, one can become "better" in some way through leveling up, and get better apparatus which supports his skills.

I also prefer free-roaming games where I can choose where to go or what to do to games where I must do something and can only do that. Games which include (or try to include, anyway) degrees of moral options or subjective preference are also interesting.

Basically, my favorite types of games are games like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Also, strategy games or competitive games where one has to allocate resources and other things like that (think Starcraft and Warcraft, and the Civilization series).

Stealth is most important in RPG's. In games like Starcraft building strong defenses and then attacking in such a way that casualties are at an absolute minimal, for the player.
    Last edited by nil; 02-24-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

My characters in MMORPGs are always melee characters, fighters with AOE. Emphasis on AOE -- I especially dislike 1v1 type classes, as it is way too slow for me and I don't really care about killing bosses for rare items. However even though I love AOE, I hate playing mage classes because I hate dodging shit and running around like a madman. I like to have more buffs than active skills. A good example of my play style is Dynasty Warriors. MMORPG's are my favorite because they are open ended, usually have no storyline I have to adhere to, and you can fully customize your character. When I play online games I get sucked into leveling just so I can wear a certain outfit -- I also get deeply involved in the marketplace. For some reason I also always need to create my own guild/clan if I get REALLY addicted to the game. I will join another guild briefly to see what it's like, but after that I must have my own.

As for strategy games, I build and expand at my own pace. I like to have one of every building, even if the building is relatively useless. Emphasis on preserving my army/least amount of casualties. I usually have a weak defense, very strong offense. Tendency to stick to upgrading one type of unit that is well rounded, it's easy and convenient.

Examples of my favorite games are Fallout, Starcraft, Vindictus, any online mmorpg.

Oh, and I hate PvP. No interest in it whatsoever.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was always playing healers and usually the weak clothed healing types. I used to be the tank friend kind of guy, never bothered to get on top charts of the healing meters but would be the one that would make the difference, tanks loved me.

Once I got less time than normal I got into PvP and my playing style was just the same, simple weak healing type of guy but when it comes to pvp I would bunk shitloads of cloth on me that would bring me more health than other players combined. Knowing I would be the target number one I invested heavily into it. Was fun to see other players crying when trying to bring me down.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Creepy-male

[RPG Style]

I play rogues, stealth, skill, tactics....

I also play healers... in general in class based games I always play one or the other real well...

either a solo operative doing small things to help the team out, or doing the healing and support

same with TF2... medic/spy are my two best classes, and sniper but that really doesn't count anyone can snipe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPG-wise (MMOs) I like hybrid/somewhat melee characters I can solo a lot with. That's usually Druids/Bards/Clerics of some kind. I like exploring and dabbling around.. A lot of newer games are missing good crafting elements. It'd be even better if they had more building/design features.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In RPGs, I also like to play the stealthy, rouge-like characters. This is because they usually offer play styles which are tricky and need to be used carefully in order to defeat the enemy. One of my favourite is The Elder Scrolls Oblivion for example, the class system is really great imo, you can be whatever you want. I love the 'Thief/Dark Project' Games in which you play a master thief in a medieval world with many fantasy elements. Fighters would probably be my second favourite, the Paladin is my choice in Diablo 2, which is an awesome game btw. I never really enjoyed playing mages, druids or priests. I especially hate to be a healer (I tried it in Guild Wars) because you're responsible for others and you're the typical team player. I do my best to sustain myself to be independend of other's help. (e.g. choosing healer as a second class for my own wounds or carry a lot health potions.)
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favourite is The Elder Scrolls Oblivion for example, the class system is really great imo, you can be whatever you want.
    me and my ISTj brother have been laughing at that one because the way you level in it makes absolutely no sense. The optimal way to play is to stay as low a level as possible while leveling up as many skills per level as you need to get full attribute bonusses. The way to do this is to choose skills you won't primarily use as your Major skills.

If you play the game regularly, the enemies' power scales along with your leveling so that difficulty goes up as your level increases. Again: this makes no sense whatsoever.

You could say the skill system is trivial in importance compared to "immersion", but imo this completely misses the point. If there is no coincidence of your efforts as a player to get the best results in the game, and the "immersion" of the game, that means that the game is just poorly designed. Immersion in games is reached exactly BY this coincidence. The absense of this coincidence makes the player think in two separate mindsets at a time, which is antithetical to immersion.

/rant off

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the class system is something different than the leveling system. I just said I like the class system because it's extremely flexible. Along with the free choice of race/appearance it gives you the maximum freedom to customize your hero. I partly agree with you, it's a bit odd that the enemies have the same strength everywhere on the map. This is also the issue which my brother didn't like at all and it also ruined the game for him, I think. It's also true that you can easily cheat or exploit that system. There are also mods which add some strong enemies in the wilderness for you to find. That makes it a lot more dangerous to go outside.

However, it was something new. I guess they'll make it better in the next game.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I like the idea of it. Would have been good if it worked properly. No complaints in that regard.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    You could say the skill system is trivial in importance compared to "immersion", but imo this completely misses the point. If there is no coincidence of your efforts as a player to get the best results in the game, and the "immersion" of the game, that means that the game is just poorly designed. Immersion in games is reached exactly BY this coincidence. The absense of this coincidence makes the player think in two separate mindsets at a time, which is antithetical to immersion.
    Actually, X3 has a really clever way of immersing you into the game. EVERY choice you make as a player obeys the internal logic of the game. Granted this comes at the cost of quality of life stuff like being able to save anywhere (you need to buy save-anywheres), which might be a deal breaker, but I love how the game has so far unabashedly thought of everything ahead of me.

Even gaming the system feels like you're just using the rules against themselves. And gives you a malevolent little buzz (been stealing people's ships because they think I'm an innocent merchant )

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thread.

In rpgs, I like to play melees most. There's something awesome about leading from the front lines and using all sorts of cool weapons. Shields are nice and they keep you alive but I guess I've always had a love affair for two handed weapons, especially polearms. It would be nuts if I could find a game where I could actually run around with a nagimaki though, kind of like what this guy is dramatically holding while taking his dog for a walk.

FPS can be really frustrating since I like to try to get my team to work together. In those kind of games I tend to set my guy up to be as good at support as possible, spotting enemy positions, setting up defenses or motion sensors, watching flanks, etc. Weaponwise my faves are mid to long range automatic assault rifles with good accuracy, low recoil, and reload quickly. SMGs can be fun but I find their shorter effective range frustrating, even though the mobility of the weapon makes me feel all warm inside. Ideally I'd love to have some kind of bridge between the two, like a smaller profile compact AR. A PDW basically. Sniper rifles can suck it though.

Strategy games like Civilization, Spore, or Total War are pretty much drugs to me. There's something kind of satisfying about being the big man up in the sky directing, scheming, and outwitting all comers. I try to keep my people as happy and healthy as I can before I start building a strong economic base to fuel my military ambitions. I'm mostly talking about Total War though since you have to dominate to win. In games where you don't have to grind your enemies into dust I'm a lot more diplomatic and friendly.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

me and my ISTj brother have been laughing at that one because the way you level in it makes absolutely no sense. The optimal way to play is to stay as low a level as possible while leveling up as many skills per level as you need to get full attribute bonusses. The way to do this is to choose skills you won't primarily use as your Major skills.

If you play the game regularly, the enemies' power scales along with your leveling so that difficulty goes up as your level increases. Again: this makes no sense whatsoever.
    Sorry, but this is not the most optimal way at all. The most optimal way to play is to get full attribute bonuses, true, but the complementary goal in that is to not over-level any skills. Doing this consistently will destroy your leveling efficiency. The key to efficient leveling is not choosing major skills that you won't use, but instead choosing major skills that are easily controllable.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

Efficient leveling also makes up a lot for the enemies getting tougher as you level up (which I think is stupid as well, but I heard they weren't going to do it that way in Skyrim).

But regardless of that, Oblivion seriously has the best leveling system of any RPG I have ever played.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but this is not the most optimal way at all. The most optimal way to play is to get full attribute bonuses, true, but the complementary goal in that is to not over-level any skills. Doing this consistently will destroy your leveling efficiency.
    Like I said: level up as many as you need to get the attribute bonusses, no more, no less. This claim incorporates not over-levelling skills.

The key to efficient leveling is not choosing major skills that you won't use, but instead choosing major skills that are easily controllable.
    The point stands that you don't choose skills that characterize your true "class", meaning the immersion of the game is completely maligned. There is a massive disconnect between making choices that make sense in the game world (i.e. in a "role-playing" way of playing the game) and making choices that make sense with optimal regard to the skill system of the game.

But regardless of that, Oblivion seriously has the best leveling system of any RPG I have ever played.
    It's horrible. You already agreed with several of my points as to why it's completely messed up. Oblivion is a mediocre game that doesn't deserve to be receiving grades in the 90-100% area.

ps. i recognized immediately that Oblivion is a deeply flawed game and never played beyond it's initial stages for this reason. If there are slight imperfections in the way I describe it's rules this is simply because I don't find the game worthy of basic attention.

Creepy-male

ITT: Gamists square off against Simulationists.

Meanwhile Themists are off marvelling at BioWare's involving writing. Bastards.

EDIT

Though I think attributing Oblivion's horrifically powergamey levelling system to Gamism is really, really unfair. World of Warcraft is an example of Gamism done right, because the whole process of optimising your character is a game in of itself, and one with direct rewards (more competitive edge against your fellow players, pulling through encounters, etc). Oblivion OTOH punishes you heavily if you don't min/max to the most excruciating degree. And that is why it sucks, that's just bad design.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like being the caster fag in the background, whether healing or dealing damage.

I make a shitty tank. I lack the extroverted leading skills for it, and I'm just too shy in groups. I've tried to get over this, but I really dislike it. Marking targets, being the one that leads. I don't like being the most important person like that.

I feel much more comfortable, with my type B personality, to be in the background casting spells. Mages, Priests, and Caster-Shaman are my favorite classes to play.

I played an arms/fury warrior for awhile. It wasn't that bad. But melee range and having to lead groups depressed me.

At heart, I'm a Holy/Disc Priest slash Frost Mage slash Resto/Elemental Shaman. Kinda all mixed together.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

The point stands that you don't choose skills that characterize your true "class", meaning the immersion of the game is completely maligned. There is a massive disconnect between making choices that make sense in the game world (i.e. in a "role-playing" way of playing the game) and making choices that make sense with optimal regard to the skill system of the game.
    Not necessarily. I don't see how growing the most efficiently requires getting skills that aren't "you". Any skill set could work, theoretically, though some will be more difficult to implement than others. In Oblivion, I always used an Assassin fused with a Mage (primarily an assassin which can use support magic to aid in that) and had no problem with anything. But the thing is that I don't want to fulfill a "role" throughout the whole game. I want to be whatever character I want to be at any given time. Though I love stealth and whatnot, sometimes I would prefer to wear heavy armor and beat the crap out of everything. So it works for me. Even a pure Mage could level efficiently. The cool thing about Oblivion is that you can be whatever you want to be, but in doing so, you don't necessarily have to sacrifice being the best you can be.

But still, I think most of your problems with the game will be corrected in Skyrim.
    ps. i recognized immediately that Oblivion is a deeply flawed game and never played beyond it's initial stages for this reason. If there are slight imperfections in the way I describe it's rules this is simply because I don't find the game worthy of basic attention.
    I don't see it as deeply flawed. Rather, an understanding of the system is required to get everything out of it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ideally I'd like to play a game where I can just switch and be something different on the fly depending on my mood. Instead of having to lvl from 1 again and get bored repeating the same dumb quests....

But if there's any sort of penalty in that system, even a little one, then it doesn't seem worth it, and I'd just want to keep playing one type of role. But I also don't think it should be something that rewards you, like Final Fantasy X-2's dress sphere changes.

I just think that, it should be easy and quick and neutral gameway wise.

Creepy-male

Ideally I'd play some rogue/mage or healer/mage mashup.

I actually really liked the archemage from warhammer online... it was about balance between casting offensive spells and heals... the more heals you did it would build up power into offensive spells and weaken the heals... and the more offense you did it would build up power into heals and weaken offense... so constantly you had to switch between heals/casting. The class was superb at soloing in PvE and early game was godlike in all aspects, but it sucked late game because they fucked up the balance for hybrids.

Some of the heals were pretty impressive, one you could tack on a buff that once the enemy feel below 20% it would trigger a huge heal. You could do instant resurrection in combat, which was epic. Plus warhammer online used a lot of Healing of Time spells (HoTs) which stacked. You could also place a DoT on an enemy, siphon there energy and use it to heal an ally. You had damage shields which absorbed a certain amount of damage. Then you had knockbacks and stuns for protection. There were basically a lot of tools and it made for a lot of multitasking, you'd just sit back and shuffle around hp, drain some from the enemy here, put it into your teammate there, lay a shield down on another caster getting attacked, res a fallen healer, and then knockback tanks that tried to go for you.

I haven't played a game with a good rogue mage... really

Creepy-male

Rogue/mage is my ideal.

NWN2 had Arcane Tricksters.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Rogue/mage is my ideal.

NWN2 had Arcane Tricksters.
    Meh the best rogue classes for DnD imo are

Shadowdancer - Hide in Plain Sight, Evasion (i.e. never get hit and evade anything that isn't a boss with a little tactics)
    Assassin - Poisons, Assassination, Etheral Jaunt (i.e. instant kill anything that isn't a boss with a little tactics)
    Arcane Archer - Magically Augmented Archery, Fireball Arrow (i.e. shoot spells from your bow and arrow as well as arrows)