Thread: Instinct variants for Enneagram type 6

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Instinct variants for Enneagram type 6

I'm trying to better understand the order of my stacking and I'm a little confused and finding it hard to choose between SX or SP. Given that I'm an E6, it's hard to decide which one I prefer because at the core of six, aren't they all looking for security like an SP? That makes me think SP would be first but then the SX descriptions sound a lot more like myself ....but the whole basis of the E6 is a need for security so how do you choose accurately? I'm confused. If anyone has any insights into what they think I might be, it'd help. The stackings are so straight and to the point but I'm having a hard time seperating which one is more important as they both seem equally important to me.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security for an E6 doesn't have to come in the form of self-preservation. Security can be found in another person or in a group setting just as easily as it can in a private home environment. Honestly though, I find that it's better to leave instinct stacking and enneatype as two separate entities, because the descriptions can get kinda too specific. I'm definitely E6 and I'm definitely sx/sp, but I don't think I fit into the E6 sx/sp descriptions too well, at least not on ocean-moonshine (identifying with my gender roles? wtf).

As an E6 sx, I instinctively focus my energy on one thing at a time in a very concentrated manner. It's maybe not so much that I seek an E6 security through having a relationship (although that's a huge part of me), but it's more that I want to find an outlet for all the energy I have pent up. Once I find that outlet, I pour everything into it, and I guess the security comes from that outlet constantly being there. I'm not sure an sp would want to release their energy in the manner I just described; they would probably be prone to seeking security in a more reserved and private manner.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then can it be said that an SX looks for security in other people and SP's look for security in their home life? It's probably that simple and yet i'm overcomplicating it like I over complicate everything. But wait...what if you look for security in other people so that they can provide you with a secure home life? AHA

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    So then can it be said that an SX looks for security in other people and SP's look for security in their home life? It's probably that simple and yet i'm overcomplicating it like I over complicate everything. But wait...what if you look for security in other people so that they can provide you with a secure home life? AHA
    That's still sp, because the whole point is to fulfill the sp instinct, not the sx instinct.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    That's still sp, because the whole point is to fulfill the sp instinct, not the sx instinct.
    Yeah, it would more depend on the main objective. The second instinct in the stacking tends to be used more as a tool, a means to an end more than being the end itself.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    As an E6 sx, I instinctively focus my energy on one thing at a time in a very concentrated manner. It's maybe not so much that I seek an E6 security through having a relationship (although that's a huge part of me), but it's more that I want to find an outlet for all the energy I have pent up. Once I find that outlet, I pour everything into it, and I guess the security comes from that outlet constantly being there. I'm not sure an sp would want to release their energy in the manner I just described; they would probably be prone to seeking security in a more reserved and private manner.
    This. Every word of it. I find that SX is not just about relationships, but it can be a passion for your job, a hobby, or cause. Then I throw everything into it (or multiple things) and wear myself down, perhaps because I'm SP last. I seek security, but "self-preservation" in terms of reserving energy or keeping a protective shell around myself isn't a priority whatsoever. I have to poke and prod things--to fully understand them--to feel comfortable. I have an impulse to mentally immerse myself in things, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It helps to think of the instinct stackings not as a desire for "relationships" or "groups" or "private places" or whatever as the names would have you think. I made a post about this somewhere else on here, but I think of them as "energy concentration" for sx, "energy storage" for sp, "energy radiation" for so.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the difference between energy conservation and energy storage?

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the difference between energy conservation and energy storage?
    They're the same thing, although conservation is probably a better word for sp. I wrote "concentration" for sx, in case you misread that.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I did read it wrong but still, what's the difference? haha

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I did read it wrong but still, what's the difference? haha
    Well concentration would mean the energy is let out in a very focused manner. That is to say, energy is released in a concentrated manner, meaning there's a lot of it being focused towards a compact, specific point. Conservation would mean that energy is stored more than it is released. The sp firsts derive most of their comfort in being inside themselves, keeping as much energy inside them as they can stand.