Thread: Vegetarianism

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vegetarianism

I wonder if the reasons someone might have for becoming a vegetarian might be related to their type. Anyway, for whatever reason, type or coincidence, most vegetarians I know IRL are Beta, and the rest are Delta.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    I wonder if the reasons someone might have for becoming a vegetarian might be related to their type.
    No idea, I don't know any vegetarians.

Anyway, for whatever reason, type or coincidence, most vegetarians I know IRL are Beta
    Seems like they never had tasty meat in them

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, for whatever reason, type or coincidence, most vegetarians I know IRL are Beta, and the rest are Delta.
    That could be true. I know a girl who is a vegetarian and she could be ENFj, but I'm not sure. Another guy who might be ISTp, too.
    I'm not a vegetarian.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm I've known three people who I'm fairly sure of their type that are vegetarians or vegans.
    Ones an EIE, has been a vegan since she learned about where meat and animal bi-products came from. She is passionate about animals and has been volunteering for the SPCA since highschool.

A probable SLI who gave up meat, but eats fish, when making a radical healthy lifestyle change. She did a lot of research on how the slaughter industry works and the effects of meat on the body; she'll often quote facts about it and such.

An IEI who was raised by vegetarian parents, he isn't as passionate about the ethics of eating meat as they are but still doesn't think it's right

I have no idea if this is consistent with type, but the two NF's are more concerned about the ethics involved whereas the ST looks at it from a more personal logical point of view
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat every day as it is expensive. I would consider vegetarianism if I were doing it for my health, but I have no personal convictions against eating meat, so what's to stop me from eating it at least once in a while, yk? Even if I were doing it for my health, I wouldn't have to be strict about it...

The life of a true vegetarian would just be too strict for me; having to keep track of what I ate, and having to plan all my meals to make sure I got my complete proteins; or showing up at a party and not being able to eat anything except the crackers because everyone else are meat lovers lol
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I would consider vegetarianism if I were doing it for my health, but I have no personal convictions against eating meat, so what's to stop me from eating it at least once in a while, yk? Even if I were doing it for my health, I wouldn't have to be strict about it...l
    Yup, it ain't that "healthy" in the long run but hey, choice is yours.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My friends are vegetarians for different reasons:

SEE - because they want to preserve nature and be kind to animals...
    SEI - because they want to better take care of themselves and their bodies...

I also know many SLI's who are vegetarians for the same Si reasons.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    SEE - because they want to preserve nature and be kind to animals...

Last edited by Absurd; 01-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEI - she's into whatever new idea strikes her fancy, it's related to buddhism at the moment. She claims she feels healthier as a vegetarian. Doesn't eat fish.

IEI - used to be vegetarian for several years, "health" reasons. I think she even gave up fish and dairy products at one point, but I'm not sure. I tried to describe her quest for it and how it is so painfully obvious Ni-leading + Ti-HA, but words failed me.

SLE - same as IEI (she feeds him).

EII and another ethical type - raised by vegetarian parents. "I don't eat corpses."

I think, like most things in socionics, the what isn't nearly as correlated with type as the how. IEI and SEI both tend to be more convinced by theories than facts, for example.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Delta NF related, IMO
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasoning behind the vegetarianism may very well be related to functions. Perhaps better care of one's body and physical state means Si, compassion and whatnot Fi, whatever, and perhaps you will find a higher frequency of these reasons in types that have that function in their ego.

However, all types will be capable of citing those reasons and converting to vegetarianism and it will not be restricted to any one type or quadra as OP suggests.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah i have heard the suggestion before that vegetarians are usually Aristocrats, and i'm inclined to believe it. my SLI sister is vegetarian, and i was for about 3 years until very recently *cough*

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    raised by vegetarian parents. "I don't eat corpses."
    I always thought this statement was funny. They eat dead plants, too. Okay, animals are the higher life forms, but people always have to destroy life in order to survive. "Eating corpses" is absolutely natural. I don't understand some people (not neccessarily all vegetarians/vegans) who praise nature above everything which is man-made but deny one of the most simple natural rules: Eat or be Eaten.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder if the reasons someone might have for becoming a vegetarian might be related to their type.
    with Betas and Deltas, i think the reasons might be related to Aristocracy (associating themselves with people who think like them - same beliefs, convictions, lifestyle choices, etc.) with Humanitarian (NF) ideology and activism.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This thread is awesome....we've named every quadra
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Doesn't eat fish.
    Sacrilegious.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not type related. Someone can be a vegetarian for a number of reasons.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    with Betas and Deltas, i think the reasons might be related to Aristocracy (associating themselves with people who think like them - same beliefs, convictions, lifestyle choices, etc.) with Humanitarian (NF) ideology and activism.
    I have always wondered. A vegetarian eats vegetables but what does a humanitarian eat ?

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating meat is directly correlated to valuing Se/Ni because of the brute, savage nature that Se valuers innately possess. As Se is brute force and power, an air of dominion sort of permeates everything the Se ego does, particularly the ESXps where being oppressive and savage is like breathing. These people have a peculiar habit of jumping on large slabs of raw meat if presented with such an opportunity, since the Se leading types are controlled by their impulses. It's a little more mediated and played down in the ISXjs, but if they ever get a chance to strike on a hunk of steak or a quadruple-decker hamburger you know they'll be on it before you have the chance to breathe.

In this way, Ni egos can fall into one of two extremes: the hippies who don't feel that they can adequately devour the meat in question, or those who who overcompensate for their deficiency in an animalistic nature by eating as much meat as they can. The former group of people tend to be INXps, those who need the everpresent Se monsters to teach them how to unleash their voracious inner animals. The latter situation is more commonly associated with Se HA, types who have a more conscious and controlled desire to rend living creatures of their flesh.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I have always wondered. A vegetarian eats vegetables but what does a humanitarian eat ?
    I eat meat because it's a logical part of the human diet. I don't eat it all the time and I try to buy it from animal friendly farms (organic/free range).
    -

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than most of my diet is pure meat. I think it's downright barbaric the way vegetarians treat plant-beings. I vowed a long time ago that I would only eat plants if I was sure to die without.
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a vegetarian, but not for any moral reasons. I just don't like the taste of meat, and haven't since I was tiny. The only moral vegetarian I know is SEE and she stopped being a vegetarian and became a pescatarian a while back.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GO VEGETARIANS!

Both my parents are vegetarian, and I was raised as a vegetarian, so I never really had the impulse to go over to the dark side. Actually, being raised vegetarian gave me an ingrained aversion to meat, so the idea of becoming a meat-eater kind of repulses me now. I figure that's a good thing because my eating habits are already pretty unhealthy, so leaving meat out of the equation is probably the one thing about my diet that I can confidently call healthy. That, and my salad addiction.

I know a couple other vegetarians -- a hardline moral-vegetarian EII, and an LIE who "converted" to vegetarianism after taking a philosophy class in ethics where they determined that meat-eating is WRONG! Everyone else I know falls into one of two camps for the most part: either being around me brings out their vegetarian tendencies, or they endlessly make fun of me for being vegetarian.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

lol. I almost forgot to mention that two EIE I know personally are both vegetarians...go beta veggies. LOL
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to imply that all vegetarians are Beta and Delta, just that it seems to have worked that way among my aquaintances. Maybe I just know more people in those two quadras or something. And I do think people's motivation for avoiding meat could be related to their type. Like maybe people of any type could be veg but some types might be more or less likely for whatever reason (say, aristocracy) and, of any type, the specific reasons could be type-related.

It occurred to me because I volunteered to make food for an event and I was asked to bring a vegan dish, and the two people who are vegan who will be there happen to be Beta. I thought, "Hmm I know a lot of Beta and Delta vegetarians or vegans but not people of other types. Odd." Could just be chance. Not a burning issue, but I wondered what others had noticed, or what vegetarians here thought.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    Possibly. I'm vegetarian btw. For me it just doesn't feel that good to eat meat/animal products. I guess you could call that or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I have no idea if this is consistent with type, but the two NF's are more concerned about the ethics involved whereas the ST looks at it from a more personal logical point of view
    I know an SLI who thought it was pretentious to be vegetarian so as not to hurt animals, but now I think she's vegetarian for health reasons and to not support the industry - but that's a moral reason too.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Eating meat is directly correlated to valuing Se/Ni because of the brute, savage nature that Se valuers innately possess. As Se is brute force and power, an air of dominion sort of permeates everything the Se ego does, particularly the ESXps where being oppressive and savage is like breathing. These people have a peculiar habit of jumping on large slabs of raw meat if presented with such an opportunity, since the Se leading types are controlled by their impulses. It's a little more mediated and played down in the ISXjs, but if they ever get a chance to strike on a hunk of steak or a quadruple-decker hamburger you know they'll be on it before you have the chance to breathe.

In this way, Ni egos can fall into one of two extremes: the hippies who don't feel that they can adequately devour the meat in question, or those who who overcompensate for their deficiency in an animalistic nature by eating as much meat as they can. The former group of people tend to be INXps, those who need the everpresent Se monsters to teach them how to unleash their voracious inner animals. The latter situation is more commonly associated with Se HA, types who have a more conscious and controlled desire to rend living creatures of their flesh.
    what he said
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's only one problem - I eat it already dead, not alive.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post

I take it you're joking, internet humor is not my forte

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not a joke, FDG does that.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it's a joke...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Pretty sure it's a joke...
    You sure about that ? Oh well, it seems I'm burdened with taking everything seriously

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    It's said that the transition early proto-humans undertook from predominantly herbivorous diets to carnivorous diets, had a lot to do with catalyzing growth of the large brains modern humans now possess. A view that makes some sense considering that the metabolic demands of a large brain are rather difficult to fulfill without a rich calorie source like animals provide, along with abundant fats+proteins.
    This is true, I also heard of that. In the early development of the human, those had averagely largers brains who lived in rather barren regions in the north without a full year supply of plants to eat. Especially in the winter, they had to hunt animals and eat them to survive, since they didn't knew any techniques to conserve food. The protein in the meat let the brain grow, as well as muscles.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Beta NF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post

most vegetarians look rather unhealthy to me—skin is usually paler and somewhat papery looking, hair is thinner and more brittle, eyes bloodshot. Among other off-putting cues that make it seem like not a good idea lol.
    Really guy...

Anyways, I was once a raw food vegan, now pescatarian. I chose the lifestyle for health and fitness reasons, then I later discovered moral and economic reasons to strengthen my resolve. The poor little cows and chickens won't have to endure a lifetime of a literal living hell, placed upon them in courtesy of "The Rich People" that I may get my high cholesterol, artery clogging, saturated, slobbery, fatty fix for a quarter hours time. I don't need meat, I need macro-nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, all found in plants... and yes there is protein and fats in plants, loads, enough to sustain our livestock, gorillas and vegan athletes. The one thing plants can't give me is b12, which is derived from bacteria in human/animal intestines. The body stores this vitamin for a very long time, thus vegan/vegetarians need not worry, for many foods are fortified with b12, but then a lot of these "processed" foods contain loads of high glycemic carbohydrates, and some even containing hydrogenated oils. Pescatarians like myself can eat a fish now and then, which have all the essential amino acids, loads of omega-3 fatty acids, and of course b12... and trace amounts of mercury.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What type(s) are most likely to resort to breatharianism?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like beef.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I ordered duck at a Thai restaurant, and my friends looked at me like I just strangled four puppies with my bare hands.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I like beef.

On-Topic: I know three vegetarians: an ESI, an IEE, and an SEI (solely in support of said IEE-wife).

Personally, it doesn't matter much to me whether you/I/anyone eats meat or not, but it's a heck of a lot easier to bite an animal every couple days than meticulously worry about getting proper vitamins/minerals/protein/whatever.

Survival shouldn't take a whole lot of planning, and living (probably) shouldn't be work in itself.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I ordered duck at a Thai restaurant, and my friends looked at me like I just strangled four puppies with my bare hands.
    lol

The vegetarians I know are quite cool. They don't mind if others eat the 'flesh of corpses'. I even was at a BBQ hostet by a vegetarian. She ate tofu or cheese and made sausages for everyone else.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post

it's a heck of a lot easier to bite an animal every couple days than meticulously worry about getting proper vitamins/minerals/protein/whatever.

Survival shouldn't take a whole lot of planning, and living (probably) shouldn't be work in itself.
    I like the way you phrased that.

Typing of beef, my SLI mom prefers to cook thawed ground beef. It's faster. I prefer to cook frozen ground beef so I can get it in smaller pieces.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast