Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: INFP or INFJ

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default INFP or INFJ

    I am having trouble determining whether I am INFP or INFJ. The P or J? Any advice on how I could go about that?
    INFp

  2. #2
    Creepy-aurora_faerie

    Default

    Are you day dreamy or have innovative thoughts?

    Are you lazy or do you get shit done?

    How do you feel about ESTp's and ESTj's?

    so on and so forth


    day dreamy=p
    innovative thoughts=j

    lazy=p
    shit done=j

    estp is luv = p
    estj is luv = j




    p.s. this is sorta me joking around, its a bit more complicated than that.

    I suggest just reading both descriptions from different sites, and then seeing which one fits you the best. Maybe start a VI thread?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am day dreamy and I have innovative thoughts.

    I am lazy but only when it comes to things I am not too excited about

    I feel the same regarding the 2 types as of now

    Here is how I answer the question part of socionics for P and J

    You
    Plan ahead but act impulsively following the situation (Plan what? My life? Not really planning that far. When it comes to graduating from school, however, I plan well ahead.) Often act without any preparation at all (I would rather not act then) A new day, a new life, a new them (A new day , same me again) Have difficulties with commitments (I had same old friends for a while and I keep contact with old ones too) Choose to have freedom from responsibilities and obligations (who wouldn't want that)• Often struggle to find a steady balance between own emotional and intellectual self (how is this relevant?)
    There are people that:

    Plan a schedule ahead and tend to follow it (if I do plan, I might follow it, but I might not follow it, but generally if I do plan I do follow it) Very good at keeping own promises and appointments (I keep on promising I am going to quit smoking, but I've done it like a 1000 times, however when it's court or money involved, I am always on time) • Do not like to leave unanswered questions (some q's need not be unswered)• Do not like to change own decisions (I seem to be chaning my major a lot) • Easily follow established rules and guidelines (I can do that, but don't I have to) • Often struggle to find a steady balance between own physical and spiritual self (irrelevent)

    You see, figuring out whether I am a P or a J is indeed troublesome. I want to be a J though. I think I am left-brained dominant. I was better at math back in the day than most. My mom is is Ph.D in physics, dad B.S. in Engineering.
    INFp

  4. #4
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you think about ethics, morals, and values? Are they a big part of your life, or do you just not care about them at all?
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  5. #5
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: INFP or INFJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Man
    I am having trouble determining whether I am INFP or INFJ. The P or J? Any advice on how I could go about that?
    There is one very important question: are you looking for your MBTI or socionics type.

    MBTI: you'll get to read a lot of things on the internet, but it's like reading the horoscope. Some things are true, some things are not. There isn't that much logic to it. It's just 4 dichotomies combined.

    Socionics: you'll find out so much more about yourself. If you will succeed in typing other people, you'll find out even more. It won't be The Truth of life, but it will give lots of insight of your strenghts and weaknesses and all that. PS! socionics types have a small j/p (XXXj or XXXp)


    If you are INFj, then your main functions are , and your biggest weakness/fear is . The way I understand it, you will see a potential in every possible outcome. If someone proposes an idea, you'll be quick to say that it's a good idea, even if you had been thinking of another idea. You will see that his idea is just as good, but you lack the willpower/motivation to argue that your idea was better. You can see that it's just as good. You will probably be pretty agreeable and might even have problems saying "no" when it's somehow avoidable. You probably will feel especially bad, when someone tells you that you are a "weakling" or that you lack the willpower to be a real man. You won't deliberately hurt other people's feelings and feel very bad when you've insulted someone.

    If you are INFp, then your main functions are , and your biggest weakness/fear is . I don't know any INFps so I can't really say much more. Look up "Te PoLR", maybe it will help.


    PS! I haven't seen you around here before, and you spelled the types with J and P, so I assumed that you're new to the theory. If it seemed like I was condescending, then it wasn't meant this way.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    MBTI has functions, too. There is a disagreement between the two theories as to which functions do what. Also, both theories operate off of a dichotomy but they are estimated differently. Unless, of course, any of you are proposing that one can be Fi and Ti primary at the same time. Or Si and Ni. Or Te and Fe. Or Ne and Se. Or ...

  7. #7
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    MBTI has functions, too. There is a disagreement between the two theories as to which functions do what. Also, both theories operate off of a dichotomy but they are estimated differently. Unless, of course, any of you are proposing that one can be Fi and Ti primary at the same time. Or Si and Ni. Or Te and Fe. Or Ne and Se. Or ...
    Ti or Te or Fi or Fe... what would that make it?... quattrotomy? :wink:
    Besides... Any one of those is different, depending of whether it's program or creative.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've the same trouble deciding between INFP/J and INFp/j, but realized/was coninced that I'm INFJ and INFj - yup - but an intuitive subtype.

    And really, I'm a mess. My place is a mess, I can't keep track of my important papers and I read the wrong books for school. One semester I went to the wrong lecture hall in a span of two week, haha. But somehow I seem to appear orderly. I have no idea how that is, but I could imagine the whole neatness of INFjs being a big misunderstanding coming from our strong inner compass that may make us seem strict. That's the best I can do. Anyway, I too don't get anything done, I try planing and sometimes follow through, but more often there is an alternative "plan" in my head that will mean less intense work but will take longer. It's more like an estimation of workload vs time left without taking too much else into account. However, I tend to get shit done in time. Near the dead line I get obsessed with finishing the task and work like a mad man to get it done. (If I really want to.)

    Sounds familiar?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you think about ethics, morals, and values? Are they a big part of your life, or do you just not care about them at all?
    I took an ethics class and found it interesting. I would say that before the class I cared less than I do now. But I would not say that I make ethics, moral, and values big part of my life. I still care about them and work on developing my own.


    There is one very important question: are you looking for your MBTI or socionics type.
    I've read all the info I could find about MBTI and socionics type INFx. You are right that MBTI does sound like some kind of horoscope. I am more into socionics based on the hype and based on my wish to find out my stengths and weaknessess.


    PS! I haven't seen you around here before, and you spelled the types with J and P, so I assumed that you're new to the theory.
    I actually posted here before and have been reading about this theory beginning with last summer as I ran into it at the book store. Still since then I was not able to figure out my brain type although I was able to type some of my friends pretty well.

    And really, I'm a mess. My place is a mess, I can't keep track of my important papers and I read the wrong books for school. One semester I went to the wrong lecture hall in a span of two week, haha. But somehow I seem to appear orderly. I have no idea how that is, but I could imagine the whole neatness of INFjs being a big misunderstanding coming from our strong inner compass that may make us seem strict. That's the best I can do. Smile Anyway, I too don't get anything done, I try planing and sometimes follow through, but more often there is an alternative "plan" in my head that will mean less intense work but will take longer. It's more like an estimation of workload vs time left without taking too much else into account. However, I tend to get shit done in time. Near the dead line I get obsessed with finishing the task and work like a mad man to get it done. (If I really want to.)

    Sounds familiar?
    Sounds like procrastination. I heard however that both J's and P's can be big time procrastinators. So that doesn't lead us to figuring out the J and P problem.
    INFp

  10. #10
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man
    Sounds like procrastination. I heard however that both J's and P's can be big time procrastinators. So that doesn't lead us to figuring out the J and P problem.
    And I heard that ENTjs are rather messy. When they juggle between tasks, they never clean up after themselves. After a while there will be piles of logically arranged tools everywhere, but the place will look like a mess. Still, they plan their work, they usually know what they are going to do next, etc. So I agree. J/P might be rather tricky. (PS! I totally agreed with how it was described. I recognized myself in it.)

    Just drop the J/P and read about the PoLR of both types.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's a little anecdotal test based on Model-A that may or may not aid in your quest to typecast yourself. Choose the answer that you most identify with in each set:

    Set I:
    (a.) Beneath everything that I come across in my everyday life, there is an underlying deeper significance than the surface manifestation. I have a good sense of how to examine information and then place it in context of an overarching personal ideal that is the basis for my convictions and dreams.
    (b.) Everything that I come across in my everyday life is part of a vast web of patterns. I have a good sense of how to examine information and then place it in context of this web. I shape myself around these patterns, as opposed to vice versa.

    Set II:
    (a.) I tend to feel somehow inferior to those who can efficiently present a logical empirical argument, without expressing an underlying emotional motivation. I have a visceral reaction to criticism of my own logical facility.
    (b.) I tend to feel somehow inferior to those who can act immediately and decisively given a set of circumstances, and are grounded in the here and now. I believe there is no excuse for outright physical aggression/violence.

    If you are either INFp or INFj, you should have ended up with either (a.) for both sets or (b.) for both sets. If you chose (a.) for both, you are most likely INFp. If you chose (b.) for most, then you are most likely INFj. If, however, you had a combination score ((a.)/(b.) or (b.)/(a.)), you'll probably need something more comprehensive to firgure out your type.

    For those wondering, in set 1, a) was Ni and b) was Ne, for set 2 a) was Te PoLR and b) Se PoLR.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man
    And really, I'm a mess. My place is a mess, I can't keep track of my important papers and I read the wrong books for school. One semester I went to the wrong lecture hall in a span of two week, haha. But somehow I seem to appear orderly. I have no idea how that is, but I could imagine the whole neatness of INFjs being a big misunderstanding coming from our strong inner compass that may make us seem strict. That's the best I can do. Smile Anyway, I too don't get anything done, I try planing and sometimes follow through, but more often there is an alternative "plan" in my head that will mean less intense work but will take longer. It's more like an estimation of workload vs time left without taking too much else into account. However, I tend to get shit done in time. Near the dead line I get obsessed with finishing the task and work like a mad man to get it done. (If I really want to.)

    Sounds familiar?
    Sounds like procrastination. I heard however that both J's and P's can be big time procrastinators. So that doesn't lead us to figuring out the J and P problem.
    Well, it's more about slight ADHD-ish behaviour and my answer was in regard of your thoughts of to what extent you were planning or dreamy. I don't think it's as black and white as some descriptions might give the impression of. It's possible to not be planner in every aspect and still be j.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Those are great questions, Baby---very concise and well-worded!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    For those wondering, in set 1, a) was Ni and b) was Ne, for set 2 a) was Se PoLR and b) Te PoLR.
    For Set 2, did you mean a) was Te PoLR and b) was Se PoLR?
    NiTe | Socionix

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    Those are great questions, Baby---very concise and well-worded!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    For those wondering, in set 1, a) was Ni and b) was Ne, for set 2 a) was Se PoLR and b) Te PoLR.
    For Set 2, did you mean a) was Te PoLR and b) was Se PoLR?
    Oh... yeah. I'll go fix that. lol, thanks!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Set I:
    (a.) Beneath everything that I come across in my everyday life, there is an underlying deeper significance than the surface manifestation. I have a good sense of how to examine information and then place it in context of an overarching personal ideal that is the basis for my convictions and dreams.
    (b.) Everything that I come across in my everyday life is part of a vast web of patterns. I have a good sense of how to examine information and then place it in context of this web. I shape myself around these patterns, as opposed to vice versa.
    For a. I do tend to think that there is some underlying meaning in my activities. I don't know if I have a good sense to properly place the examined information into my personal ideal though.
    For b. I never though about everything as a web of patters before. Although it is possible, for 16 types imply that there is a pattern, doesn't it?

    Set II:
    (a.) I tend to feel somehow inferior to those who can efficiently present a logical empirical argument, without expressing an underlying emotional motivation. I have a visceral reaction to criticism of my own logical facility.
    (b.) I tend to feel somehow inferior to those who can act immediately and decisively given a set of circumstances, and are grounded in the here and now. I believe there is no excuse for outright physical aggression/violence.
    For a. I got my paper back the other day in Philosophy of the mind course. I received a 1.8. Pretty low grade, considering that I was excelling before in philosophy. I do admit that I was hurting inside, but I knew that that is a hard class and my professor is too. I don't think that I feel inferior to him though. I actually happy to have someone so knowledgeble teaching me.
    For b. I don't usually feel inferior to those that are in here and now, because I read more than they do and feel better about it than them. I believe there is an excuse for physical agression if it's appropriate. I don't want to somebody venting off on me, but they have an excuse for their emotions are steaming. I would like to add that I like horror flicks.

    So I can really relate to being an INFJ as they tend to observe people for a while before choosing which ones they like and want to relate to.

    But I cannot relate to being an INFJ as they tend to not tolerate violence. I can tolerate it. The horror film example above.

    From brain typing I've learned that J's are left brain dominant. I am right-handed, therefore left-brained, therefore J?

    But I look more like INFP's than INFJ. That baby face sort of Michael Kalkin from home alone.

    Well, it's more about slight ADHD-ish behaviour and my answer was in regard of your thoughts of to what extent you were planning or dreamy. I don't think it's as black and white as some descriptions might give the impression of. It's possible to not be planner in every aspect and still be j.
    I don't think it's hard to be a planner. All you do is write down short and long term goals. Prioritize which ones are worth pursuing and go for the top ones. Plenty of books out there motivating everyone to plan their life.
    I would prefer to plan, and I do indeed plan some things. I agree it's possible to not be a planner in every aspect and still be a j - and that's seems ito be contributing to the problem figuring out whether you a J or P.
    INFp

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I got a handle on all this. Thanks for the replies all. As to zen's suggestions:

    day dreamy=p
    innovative thoughts=j

    I am more day dreamy, hence P

    lazy=p
    shit done=j

    I am super lazy, therefore P

    estp is luv = p
    estj is luv = j

    My evil step mom is an estj and I now don't know whether it's her being evil step mom or her being a step mom with all the reverse functions of mine, whence P

    I have just read all the descriptions for an INFP and an INFJ and I have to say that I lean more towards an INFP description, thus P

    To baby's suggestions I leaned towards a for each set, so P

    Based on all of these factors I would have to infer P.

    Now, given that I am an INFP, what are my strong functions and what are my weak ones. Where do I go from here on learning about that? :wink:
    INFp

  17. #17
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cool, so you seem like a clear-cut INFp.

    Your ego functions are and . Look here for brief descriptions of them. If you want more info about them, just ask us, and we'll be happy to provide it.

    Oh, and welcome to duality. Enjoy your stay. :wink:
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  18. #18
    Creepy-aurora_faerie

    Default

    *bites her fellow INFp*

    COME TO BETA!

  19. #19
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to this thread I'm an INFj and I'm like the biggest INFp ever. I mean,

    A question to man, have you ever had a moment where you were enthusiastic about something, on the inside, a conclusion, you felt really, really, good about this piece of information, and then you heard somebody say something that makes you go because you were so fucking wrong and so not aware of it !!! Makes you want to crawl under a rock for even thinking, slash, considering such bullshit .

    I don't know if it's an INFp thing, but I have it happen to me every so often. Makes me really, really glad I never said anything otherwise I would've so fucking humiliated myself, it's unbelievable. I'm guessing it's got something to do with Te.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A question to man, have you ever had a moment where you were enthusiastic about something, on the inside, a conclusion, you felt really, really, good about this piece of information, and then you heard somebody say something that makes you go because you were so fucking wrong and so not aware of it !!! Makes you want to crawl under a rock for even thinking, slash, considering such bullshit
    I had a few moments when I thought that I had it right, only to have been saved by the bell not to speak my mind off. Later I found out that that would be all not that great as I thought it would be. But I never thought about crawling under no rock just for thinking about it. Maybe for some of my past actions I would like to return and change them.

    According to this thread I'm an INFj and I'm like the biggest INFp ever. I mean,
    Can you tell what do you mean by this thread implying that you're an INFj. And what makes you say that you're the biggest INFp later? What are some traits of INFp that are clearly applicable to yours? Curious. :wink:
    INFp

  21. #21
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    .........


    If you are an INFp and you marry an ESFj, then you'll just waste a big portion of your life, don't do it!

    I was a witness, and it was kind of antisemetically ugly.....
    (* I meant antisemetrically)
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •