from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stickler for Details

I was just talking about this with my boyfriend last night and it really did strike me how intensely I am stuck upon details in order to gain a perfect understanding of some whole. This came up while we finished watching a movie and it's weird how much we differed on the fact that I HATE when I don't understand a plot point, even when he finds it irrelevant to the "bigger" picture of the movie. He asked me why I didn't see the that bigger picture and it's not like I don't -- I do understand, but it REALLY bothers me when I don't understand even the tiniest detail of things. When I rewatch things, it's so satisfying for me when little things make sense! After every movie I watch, I always read about it (a little quirk) and try to understand anything that I didn't.

I have that problem, not only with movies, but with basically everything. I need a perfect explanation of anything that happens in life. I am always the one to ask for details of why, why, why... especially personally relevant emotional issues. I can't seem to 'let things go' like a lot of people and just accept things for what they are. I need to know the whole story, every reasoning behind someone's actions/feelings, etc. I know it's a lot to ask of people because I know so many that can't really elucidate their thoughts and emotions well and just leave it at that, and that is something that reaaaally bugs me. I just don't understand how someone can't even verbalize or write down their true thoughts and feelings. I mean, is it really a jumble inside, or what?

Actually I think it's not that details are the issue... it's that I need to make sense of everything in such a whole, entire, complete way that may annoy some people. Hmm..

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Actually I think it's not that details are the issue... it's that I need to make sense of everything in such a whole, entire, complete way that may annoy some people. Hmm..

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty big on judging relevance and sticking to the bottom-line, i.e. anti-detail.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I'm pretty big on judging relevance and sticking to the bottom-line, i.e. anti-detail.
    ewwww go away

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Creepy-male

Well I don't know if this is exactly on topic, but I'm extremely into details.... I just noticed this when I started to do tutoring, in fact I probably turned off a lot of people I tutored because of my learning style. I pretty much like to build things up. Start with one small piece of information and then combine it together with other pieces until it forms a larger element, and then combine these together, like in a stepping stone fashion, until the entire whole can be perceived. Anyways what I found is a lot of people are much less detailed, they go straight for the end result without building it up from details.... in tutoring people would always get annoyed because they ask a question and I would narrate like an entire 5 paragraph essay from the basic essentials to the end result, and it just wouldn't work as well. In fact its what I always hated about tutoring, after a while I learned how to communicate better to deal with these kinds of things to help different types of students... but just blurting out answers always felt cheap, I always liked how I could walk through the details of something logically and at the end there is always that punchline when everything fits into place, and you zoom out and see everything in perspective and really get some clarity after being bogged down forever into the narrow details of it all. I actually miss that, effectively as time went on I sort of lost my penchant for this type of thing because of being under so much pressure.

I'm not sure if this is on topic, but that's that.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it depends on my interest and skill on the subject. Higher levels of interest and skill will lead to higher detail-orientation. However, when I learn something new, I generally prefer to start from a bird's eye rather than by building small blocks, then progressively zoom into higher detail.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends. What one person considers details might not be so to the other, for one. I tend to fail at details in general, but there were some situations when others told me I was too focused on them, while to me they seemed to be the ones stuck on insignificant details at the same time. But more often than not, I find myself not being detailed enough for many people, especially Deltas.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Well I don't know if this is exactly on topic, but I'm extremely into details.... I just noticed this when I started to do tutoring, in fact I probably turned off a lot of people I tutored because of my learning style. I pretty much like to build things up. Start with one small piece of information and then combine it together with other pieces until it forms a larger element, and then combine these together, like in a stepping stone fashion, until the entire whole can be perceived. Anyways what I found is a lot of people are much less detailed, they go straight for the end result without building it up from details.... in tutoring people would always get annoyed because they ask a question and I would narrate like an entire 5 paragraph essay from the basic essentials to the end result, and it just wouldn't work as well. In fact its what I always hated about tutoring, after a while I learned how to communicate better to deal with these kinds of things to help different types of students... but just blurting out answers always felt cheap, I always liked how I could walk through the details of something logically and at the end there is always that punchline when everything fits into place, and you zoom out and see everything in perspective and really get some clarity after being bogged down forever into the narrow details of it all. I actually miss that, effectively as time went on I sort of lost my penchant for this type of thing because of being under so much pressure.

I'm not sure if this is on topic, but that's that.
    You sound SO like me father (LII). ._. I never had the patience for this kind of tutoring, even though I was told all my life how great he was at teaching, patient and all. I felt like saying "ugh stop explaining the obvious, just get to the point I asked about in the first place, I can do some basic thinking for myself you know". He was treating me as if my problem was "connecting the dots" or something, while it was rather missing key points for it (not just information, so not the sort you can google), which I had to ask about again and again before he realized what I meant - possibly being my quasi, it was something he considered beyond obvious, but for me it was often exactly what made pieces fall into place, without all the redundant logical explanations. Anyway, the only subject we tried was physics and it was no good.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After every movie I watch, I always read about it (a little quirk) and try to understand anything that I didn't.
    Nice. I'm doing this, too (if I'm interested in the movie). That's why I love this wiki format. I guess I spent hours reading about the Star Wars universe in such a wiki, even if I'm not a hardcore fan of SW, actually. It's just the possibility of reading anything you want by typing a catchword in the search engine and pressing a button. Not just the most important things like pages about characters, but also the detailed description of a stormtrooper blaster rifle. That's awesome.

Many of these encyclopedias are probably my favourite pages in the internets. Both real-life wikis (like Wikipedia itself) and those about fictional worlds.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugghh
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

differed on the fact that I HATE when I don't understand a plot point, even when he finds it irrelevant to the "bigger" picture of the movie. He asked me why I didn't see the that bigger picture and it's not like I don't -- I do understand, but it REALLY bothers me when I don't understand even the tiniest detail of things. When I rewatch things, it's so satisfying for me when little things make sense! After every movie I watch, I always read about it (a little quirk) and try to understand anything that I didn't.
    I also have a strong need to understand all of the plot points thoroughly. I don't see this as detail orientation, necessarily as I do consider how they all fit into the big picture. If I cannot understand all the plot points and how they interrelate or if there are too many plot points that don't have much relevance to main storyline, I'm likely to lose interes.

I have that problem, not only with movies, but with basically everything. I need a perfect explanation of anything that happens in life. I am always the one to ask for details of why, why, why... especially personally relevant emotional issues. I can't seem to 'let things go' like a lot of people and just accept things for what they are. I need to know the whole story, every reasoning behind someone's actions/feelings, etc. I know it's a lot to ask of people because I know so many that can't really elucidate their thoughts and emotions well and just leave it at that, and that is something that reaaaally bugs me. I just don't understand how someone can't even verbalize or write down their true thoughts and feelings. I mean, is it really a jumble inside, or what?

Totally relate to all of this as well.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you think part of this is difficulty with distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant details? Or you cannot accept that something may actually be irrelevant? Just trying to understand.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider myself very much not detail oriented and very much a big-picture kind of person. This is a "in the eye of the beholder" issue I think. People consider different things to be details. Esp. since in this context it usually means "irrelevant details" and "irrelevant" is very subjective.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

BIG PICTURE PERSON...I miss the details in everything.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my experience statics are usually better at big picture stuff and dynamics are at details

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just talking about this with my boyfriend last night and it really did strike me how intensely I am stuck upon details in order to gain a perfect understanding of some whole. This came up while we finished watching a movie and it's weird how much we differed on the fact that I HATE when I don't understand a plot point, even when he finds it irrelevant to the "bigger" picture of the movie. He asked me why I didn't see the that bigger picture and it's not like I don't -- I do understand, but it REALLY bothers me when I don't understand even the tiniest detail of things. When I rewatch things, it's so satisfying for me when little things make sense! After every movie I watch, I always read about it (a little quirk) and try to understand anything that I didn't.

I identify with this; heck, just this morning I skipped class because over coffee I finished a book in a long running series I've been reading since last May and got caught up on a wiki reading about various plot points and the fictional universe at large.

I don't know necessarily know why I am that way, but I think it's just a way to enjoy the experience that much more. Sometimes additional details merely clear up confusion, allow me to make my own connections, or enjoy the broader, collective experience (which I think is highly underrated for some mediums). Sometimes this process allows me to make a judgement of whether that experience was 'good' or 'bad', allowing me to rightfully close the door on that thing and move on with no nagging feelings.

It's definitely a common phenomenon, though.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like it when movie plots have conflicting details in them, as though the writers thought we wouldn't notice weird disjointed stuff.

As for the other thing of having someone's motivations and feelings explained... yikes. I guess I know how I feel, but not always where those feelings are coming from. A lot of times my feelings are confused as well and can change...

But as for learning about details of a particular subject, yes, I enjoy that to a certain extent, but there are some people who could spend days splitting hairs, and that kind of thing I have no interest in.
    IEE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I was just talking about this with my boyfriend last night and it really did strike me how intensely I am stuck upon details in order to gain a perfect understanding of some whole.

This came up while we finished watching a movie and it's weird how much we differed on the fact that I HATE when I don't understand a plot point, even when he finds it irrelevant to the "bigger" picture of the movie. He asked me why I didn't see the that bigger picture and it's not like I don't -- I do understand, but it REALLY bothers me when I don't understand even the tiniest detail of things. When I rewatch things, it's so satisfying for me when little things make sense! After every movie I watch, I always read about it (a little quirk) and try to understand anything that I didn't.

My SEE nephew asks a lot of detailed questions that annoy me sometimes...so yeah, maybe you are SEE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html