Thread: negotiating

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default negotiating

Any types better or worse than others at this, or is it NTR?

I'm interested in different types of negotiating, and different styles or approaches to it.

My 2 cents... I don't think I've been in many positions of general negotiation, but I'm fairly successful at haggling. Stuff like getting 50% off a laptop monitor replacement by calling up Dell even though I wasn't covered by warranty anymore; 40% of a sectional and dining room table; free equipment accessories at Best Buy; etc.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the manner in which one negotiates may be type-related. For example a Beta ST might just try to persuade oothers in a direct, guttural manner; whereas a Gamma SF might instead go with an "I scratch your back you scratch mine" approach, and a Beta NF might try to emotionally stir and manipulate you in the direction they want.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it's quadra-related.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I think it's quadra-related.
    Such that...?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Such that...?
    Negotiating seems like something Deltas would be more likely to do than Betas. But haggling and negotiating are different. My IEE dad doesn't want to get the better side of a deal because he doesn't want the other person to get a bad deal. My SLI mom loves deals of all kinds, including regifting and the like. I don't think I'd try to get a warranty after it expired, and I think if something's overpriced I just won't buy it instead of spending time trying to convince people that their pricing is lousy.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i feel really weird about it. i've only done it once. at a garage sale.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suck at it unless I feel the other person's trying to screw me over, then I do it just for fun. I absolutely suck at buying cars compared to some people I've known.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    i feel really weird about it. i've only done it once. at a garage sale.
    Yard sales are different. Many times the people aren't sure about the price.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-Snaps

I'd say Alphas can be very persuasive, convincing people to join their side...

But you didn't ask about persuasiveness. Negotiating to me implies the more formal back-and-forth, business-like, controlled and yet forceful dealmaking. Professional.

If I'd have to pick a function, I'd say Se. Also Te.

Although types with those ^^ function may have a natural advantage, negotiating is still considered a skill... able to be mastered through time with practice and hard work. Therefore any type can become a skilled negotiator, if they put their mind to it... so I don't think natural function use would give a huge advantage. I don't think any type would stand out as being an exceptionally good or bad negotiator.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    I'd say Alphas can be very persuasive, convincing people to join their side...

But you didn't ask about persuasiveness. Negotiating to me implies the more formal back-and-forth, business-like, controlled and yet forceful dealmaking. Professional.

If I'd have to pick a function, I'd say Se. Also Te.
    Yeah, and Se more than Te. It's interesting that April is comfortable with it.

To me, haggling is incredibly stressful.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Yeah, and Se more than Te. It's interesting that April is comfortable with it.
    Agreed, and perhaps Fi behind Te? Because Fi can come into negotiating in understanding what you value, who you want to be friends with or enemies with, etc.

So it goes Se>Te>Fi. As some sort of natural function advantage; but again, any type can master it, as it's a skill.

Negotiating to me personally is stressful as well. I prefer informal and casual. Persuasive only if I really need something.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be an idiot, but I always base my decisions off of whatever people tell me something costs. It never even enters my mind to haggle/bargain/negotiate. I just take it or leave it.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I may be an idiot, but I always base my decisions off of whatever people tell me something costs. It never even enters my mind to haggle/bargain/negotiate. I just take it or leave it.
    Just checked your profile to see what type you were, and saw you were born on April 29th. Same as me. Taurus ftw.

So, what type are you? Might help figure out what types are good/bad at negotiating. I admit I'm not that great at it, and I believe I'm ENTp. :redface: Then again, never really tried it. Prefer informal>formal, but yeah.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just checked your profile to see what type you were, and saw you were born on April 29th. Same as me. Taurus ftw.
    I have you beat with April 30th and being named April.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf is with people associating negotiation with Se..? i dont even sagkldghedgn

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    wtf is with people associating negotiation with Se..? i dont even sagkldghedgn
    lol.

sizing people up terms of how far you can push them before hitting a wall of wills? is that Se?

idk if theres really any correlation, just throwing out an idea.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    lol.

sizing people up terms of how far you can push them before hitting a wall of wills? is that Se?

idk if theres really any correlation, just throwing out an idea.
    Yeah, negotiation is about understanding power relations. I'm trying to get what I want out of you, and you're trying to get what you want out of me. Willpower is very important.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what type are you? Might help figure out what types are good/bad at negotiating. I admit I'm not that great at it, and I believe I'm ENTp. :redface: Then again, never really tried it. Prefer informal>formal, but yeah.
    SEIzzle
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-male

Once I organized a lan party, talked to the manager, they usually charge $5 an hr, I got it moved down to $3 if I brought in a large group, I did and charged everyone in the group $4 an hr. Effectively I made the deal better for everyone going than they would have been able to achieve by themselves and at the same time collected $1 an hr for each person for myself. I managed to escape away with a little profit and 8 free hours of lan time.

I got the whole thing together by exploiting social networks, I had a sheet of paper and passed it around in the computer science class I was in in high school, and then handed the sheet to each person in that classroom for a day and told them to sign there friends up. All I had was a sheet of paper, with name, # of bawls, food (yes/no), hours, and phone number. I did this a month in advance, then I the day before the lan party I called to confirm all the people that signed up..... it was fucking easy.

That's really my only experience with haggling a price lower, most of the time I won't haggle, but I'll hunt for deals occasionally for things that are expensive.

I think negotiating is NTR.

Also negotiating to me, is like politics, hostage negotiation, and business negotiation.... like serious business stuff -- two people or factions have various agendas and they sort out terms.

I love the idea of negotiation, but being introverted I tend to just out of negotiating in real life, and if I do I'm relatively strategic, coming up with a clear plan before implementation.

Come to think of it I've done some negotiation-esque things before.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have a lot of different styles of negotiating, that's for sure.

I think given the right situation any type can be prone to being 'better' at negotiating than others - negotiating pricess and material things, negotiating relationships, negotiating business deals, negotiating with a toddler, etc.