Thread: Phileas Fogg

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phileas Fogg

There are several movies about "Around the world in 80 days" so there might be slightly different conceptions of his type. I din't read the book yet, but I've seen the film of 1956 and I think he's a pretty clear LII. Any opinions on his type?
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, but I think many LIEs are natural born world travellers. TeNi is great when breaking new ground and there is a time limit.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original novel: ILI-Ni, 5w4 sp/sx (INTJ)
    Disney adaptation: ILE-Ne, 3w4 sx/so (ENTP)
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen the movie in a long time. But I'm thinking Se-valuing. But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'll have to watch the movie again someday...

Maybe Fogg and the woman he meets in India(?) are Duals.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad I don't recall the dialogues and interactions in the book. But overall I'd say LXE, LIE possible. This sounds like LIE, IMO:
    Phileas Fogg can be described as being a stolid, arcane, reserved, wanderlustuous, expeditious, untoady, indomitable, burnished, hyperopic, magnanimous, well-mannered, benignant, abstinent, daedal, intrepid, fecund gentleman.
    I don't recall him having sight problems - ist it true? - so I think "hyperopic" figuratively means "farsighted" or something.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I recall Fogg was an extremely reserved and serious man. He answered 95% of queries directed at him in monosyllables, if at all.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I don't know, but I think many LIEs are natural born world travellers.
    Yeah, that's right. But in this case, he doesn't travel just for fun, but for a bet. He plans his journey as efficient as possible, but also includes extra time to spare. The only reason for this trip is to prove him right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Original novel: ILI-Ni, 5w4 sp/sx (INTJ)
    Disney adaptation: ILE-Ne, 3w4 sx/so (ENTP)
    lol, I guess Disney made an adaption of everything. I thought about ILI, too. But in the film I saw, he got this Immanuel Kant-like well planned daily routine (breakfast at 7:30, going for a walk for 15 minutes, ect). He was very mad when someone took his newspaper in the club and read it. He laid off many butlers because they didn't meet his high standards. And his reaction when the indian princess proposed to marry him was not very ILI.

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Maybe Fogg and the woman he meets in India(?) are Duals.
    I think so. In a scene on a ship they talked for some moments and Fogg realised that she had a very similar view on the world. (mostly j-things) That's why I think she could be ESE.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    From what I recall Fogg was an extremely reserved and serious man.
    That's right. He was also described as eccentric and the other Gentlemen's club members wondered how he got into the club in the first place since he wasn't very sociable.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer