Thread: lungs enneagram type and why 9s aren't boring

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default lungs enneagram type and why 9s aren't boring

in spite of all my waffling and indecisiveness about my enneagram type (which i mostly havent expressed here) i really do think that i am a 9. i just really, really don't want to be. it seems...lame. heh. i know youre not supposed to LIKE your enneagram type cos its all about coping mechanisms and whatnot, but really, this sucks.

give reasons why 9s are not boring. GOGOGOGOGOGO.

1. evidenced by other 9s on the forum like bg, cili, et al
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that you necessarily have to like or dislike your enneagram type. But on the other hand, for me personally, the knowledge of my shortcomings generally makes me a little sad, mainly because those shortcomings are real issues. While overcoming those issues are generally an overall healthy thing, it feels like I try too hard to overcome them, and therefore doesn't (at least on appearance) seem sustainable. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying, but I understand my weaknesses, and I understand where I am susceptible.

As to the issue you're addressing directly, one person's boredom is another person's value. Sure, other people may look at my everyday life and conclude that my life is pretty boring. But that's because they are applying what I do to their value system. What I value is compassion, empathy, being a mediator, not getting in the way, helping where I'm able to help, trying to be as honest and open about who I am and what I am as I can. To contrast this, other people might value equally valid things such as challenging yourself and overcoming adversity, having places to go, people to talk to and activities to do, fighting for a particular cause, etc. I don't necessarily hold those values as highly as others might, but they are just as valid to hold as mine are to me.

I value comfort, which can be perceived as boring, I suppose, but I don't necessarily feel bored by it.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    1. evidenced by other 9s on the forum like bg, cili, et al
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. profit
    Fixed.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. Because it's you,
    2. Because it's you,
    3. Because it's you.

You figured it out on your own, you know yourself better than anyone else. That's not boring to me and I, simply, don't see a reason to think that way.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy is a 9:

As is this one:

And this one, who is infinitely more creepy bit still definitely not boring.

What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ll
    i really do think that i am a 9. i just really, really don't want to be. it seems...lame.
    This might not be remotely helpful, but...

What's LESS lame about 4s or 2s or 10s or the other types you're drawn to?

What about them feels LESS boring to you?

I hear you on the downsides to 9, but what's the UPSIDE to the others?

(Or something.)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I value comfort, which can be perceived as boring, I suppose, but I don't necessarily feel bored by it.
    ya. i don't necessarily feel bored by it either. but i do have sort of a malaise which is maybe just typical for people who share my american middle class kind of lifestyle. lol. idk. do i want to be uncomfortable in order to experience things more fully or whatever? idk. maybe in theory.

IDK IDK IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    1. Because it's you,
    2. Because it's you,
    3. Because it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    This might not be remotely helpful, but...

What's LESS lame about 4s or 2s or 10s or the other types you're drawn to?

What about them feels LESS boring to you?

I hear you on the downsides to 9, but what's the UPSIDE to the others?

(Or something.)
    haha. i guess when i think about type 9 what i see in my head is a blank white space or a face without features. like, nothing to catch the eye, nothing moving. all the other types seem like they....move. or have swirly colors, or something. does that make sense? maybe not. or something.

i do understand that each type has their own crap to deal with, though.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya. i don't necessarily feel bored by it either. but i do have sort of a malaise which is maybe just typical for people who share my american middle class kind of lifestyle. lol. idk. do i want to be uncomfortable in order to experience things more fully or whatever? idk. maybe in theory.

IDK IDK IDK.
    Right, I mean that was what I was trying to express. There's a certain mundaneness that that imagery invokes. Take this thread I made for example: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=26152 which is a direct result of that malaise. Or the second post in this thread: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=28166

I was verbalizing the processing I go through when I try to work my way out of this "boredom" dilemma.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Right, I mean that was what I was trying to express. There's a certain mundaneness that that imagery invokes. Take this thread I made for example: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=26152 which is a direct result of that malaise. Or the second post in this thread: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=28166

I was verbalizing the processing I go through when I try to work my way out of this "boredom" dilemma.
    thank you, tereg. i haven't given the links the full brunt of attention that they probably deserve or would be necessary for full understanding because i'm supposed to be doing something else right now, but i gave them a quick read and i feel compelled to give a quick response because i do feel a resonance with the general idea i think you're trying to convey. i wanted to point out a couple things that jumped out at me.

especially this:

My current potential is knowing exactly what my primary problems are and being honest about them, and probably even what I need to do to overcome these problems. It is right there for me to take if I want to take it. It is there if I put the time and effort into taking it. You can probably see by now by the patterns I've laid out in this post that I'm not too optimistic about the prospects. I'm a big believer of the past predicts the future.
    just...wow, thats such a huge thing for small paragraph. and i feel it.

thanks.

and this:

Let me frame this another way. If I were to lose everything right now, my car, my apartment, my belongings, my job, I'm not confident that I would make it. I don't believe myself to have the makeup of a person that fights and claws and scraps and does everything it takes to survive. I just don't believe I have that instinct.
    i don't know what sort of experiences you've had in your life and i don't want to make any presumptions, but for me there have been a couple of times where if i didn't finally take a drastic turn and start going in another direction i would have been totally fucked (and i might have brought someone else with me, which might have been what made the difference). what happened those times is that i felt like an outside source was shouting in my head or turning me in the way i had to go...i felt like i didn't have a choice, that i was making the drastic decision because i had to. but maybe it would be good for me to give myself credit for those decisions, for turning when i had to turn, because i did it. i don't know you, but i would still place a decent bet on you being able to do it, too. you're here, living, and hell, even that takes some effort.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome

i don't know what sort of experiences you've had in your life and i don't want to make any presumptions, but for me there have been a couple of times where if i didn't finally take a drastic turn and start going in another direction i would have been totally fucked (and i might have brought someone else with me, which might have been what made the difference). what happened those times is that i felt like an outside source was shouting in my head or turning me in the way i had to go...i felt like i didn't have a choice, that i was making the drastic decision because i had to. but maybe it would be good for me to give myself credit for those decisions, for turning when i had to turn, because i did it. i don't know you, but i would still place a decent bet on you being able to do it, too. you're here, living, and hell, even that takes some effort.
    In the time since I wrote those posts, I've felt a bit more optimistic about what I am capable of doing when something needs to be done. I was in a pretty gloomy place when I wrote those, since I just didn't really trust myself to do much right. But, I do view that worst case scenario a bit differently now. I think when push comes to shove, and I have to keep breathing, keep going somehow and some way, I'd find a way to do it.

Edit: Let's just say sometimes I surprise myself at human's resolve to get something done when it needs to be done.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default lungs instinct stack

i'm more sure about my stacking than anything else about my type, probably. but i'm bored and this is one thing i've yet to make a thread about and i'm curious if i give off an impression online that suggests something different. please indulge me? you don't need a reason, though it would be cool.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OKAY LET'SDO THIS.

First, what the hell is an instinct stack? Makes me think of a hamburger with three stacks of beef.

Second, I have no idea; that's the one part of the enneagram I thought made the least amount of sense, but I might just be dumb.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Divided View Post
    OKAY LET'SDO THIS.

First, what the hell is an instinct stack? Makes me think of a hamburger with three stacks of beef.

Second, I have no idea; that's the one part of the enneagram I thought made the least amount of sense, but I might just be dumb.
    you know what it is and you make that clear in the next sentence. this post is confusing. maybe you really are Ti polr.

thank you for posting, but i don't just want any old attention, i want attention re: my instinct stacking

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know what it is and you make that clear in the next sentence. this post is confusing. maybe you really are Ti polr.

thank you for posting, but i don't just want any old attention, i want attention re: my instinct stacking

I sowie then.

Wait, but seriously how is anyone supposed to figure that out through the internet? Does that even make any sense? Isn't that supposed to have more to do with how your instincts are in your particular environment?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I sowie then.
    no worries.

Wait, but seriously how is anyone supposed to figure that out through the internet? Does that even make any sense?
    i think so. i don't know why.

Isn't that supposed to have more to do with how your instincts are in your particular environment?
    i don't know what you mean?

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know what you mean?
    That's okay. I probably don't either.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You always seemed reasonably sp/sx to me just as a vibe. I have my descriptions of the instincts lying around somewhere, lemme see if I can find them.

EDIT: No soap, radio. Guess I'll just rewrite it in another thread, then link you to it from here.
    Last edited by Galen; 03-23-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm lonely

Creepy-male

Creepy-pokeball

I do not know you, but it is helpful to consider what is least likely, too.