Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Locus of Control

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Locus of Control

A quasi-related 20-point true/false test to introversion/extroversion known as the "locus of control" i.e. how we let internal or external factors/phenomena affect our life's choices/successes.

More info @ Wikipedia.

FYI I scored 65 where 65-80 approximates with "Internal locus of control".

In conclusion I would agree that for me personally things like "luck" and "chance" will not primarily direct my successes in life but rather self-motivated conscious effort from within thus my fate would seem accountable to my self. Afterall, a little bit of "luck" and "chance" would likely stem from an initial action from my self.
    Remember to keep things simple and not any simpler like Einstein once said.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You scored 65 Internal locus of control
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Clearance level: 10 (9 is maximum) Fermi's Avatar
    TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit; I think the questions were a little bad..
    is like a wet kiss on the cheek and a warm hug by a cute smiling girl.
    is the confetti shots on your birthday party with all your friends.
    is a way to completely rip apart the face of god and stare directly at the naked universe.
    is like over here and then over there and they are all connected and I am on amphetamine.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You scored 75
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You scored 60

Agree with Superman. The questions are a bit odd.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 biotches!!!!!!!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, they were certainly abstract, but I wouldn't call them "bad"...

There "seemed" to be an underlying methodology behind the questions.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in essence, do you blame your circumstances on internals or externals?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless. There is no correlation, as you can see.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yeah, but it can be interpreted as something different than a simple introversion/extroversion test.

But I agree, essentially, that the test seems to contain a hefty scoop of bollocks.
    SEE

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of this is about independence.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    Yes - comparing it to introversion/extroversion would now seem to me as misleading since i agree with FDG that "there is no correllation".

The notion of a "locus of control" would seem to me to simply relate to making things happens from within vs allowing things to happen to you from the outside.

Then perhaps we could draw up a list of "good-for-me/bad-for-me" as a foundation for a self-coaching exercise.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowyc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean
    Yes - comparing it to introversion/extroversion would now seem to me as misleading since i agree with FDG that "there is no correllation".

The notion of a "locus of control" would seem to me to simply relate to making things happens from within vs allowing things to happen to you from the outside.

Then perhaps we could draw up a list of "good-for-me/bad-for-me" as a foundation for a self-coaching exercise.
    Did you see the PM I sent you?
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

Creepy-Diana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, there is complete correlation ... unless you want to follow shitty stereotypical dictonomies of course, then there is no correlation.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    Actually, there is complete correlation ... unless you want to follow shitty stereotypical dictonomies of course, then there is no correlation.
    The results of the people here speak otherwise.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored an 85.

The questions were mainly about whether you think things occur by chance or as a result of effort. How is that an indication of extraversion/introversion?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The results of the people here speak otherwise.
    Or maybe people are totally mistyped, but that is another debate altogether.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    I scored an 85.

The questions were mainly about whether you think things occur by chance or as a result of effort. How is that an indication of extraversion/introversion?
    Because someone who has an outer locus of control is influenced most by his or her enviroment and outside forces, whereas someone with an inner locus of control is primarily influenced by inward sources of control.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% what we do about it.

Yeah, I know it's cliche. Bite me.
    SEE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, I only got 25........ but maybe I was unlucky
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this test: A lower score approximates to an external locus of control/influence and a higher score approximates to an internal locus of control/influence.

Without trying to imply which way may seem "right" or "good" to me or you I wondered what seems "normal" or preferred to different types.

We have already seen the issue of independence raised and "life is...90% what we do about it" implying normality towards an internal locus.

Does personality type produce a disposition towards a "locus of control" orientation in your character?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this test: A lower score approximates to an external locus of control/influence and a higher score approximates to an internal locus of control/influence.

Without trying to imply which way may seem "right" or "good" to me or you I wondered what seems "normal" or preferred to different types.

We have already seen the issue of independence raised and "life is...90% what we do about it" implying normality towards an internal locus.

Does personality type produce a disposition to a "locus of control" orientation in your character?
    Possibly, but nevertheless dualization should theoretically cause each partner to have a more managable locus of control. The introvert will learn to let go a little to the possibility of what other people can offer him or her and the extrovert will learn to be a little more self-conscious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely this 'normailty' is due to the morals we inherit from society. In a system of capitalism, of which the ideal is a free market where all are free to compete, we are always told that you make your own luck in life and success is the result of hard work etc etc, because it supports the system.
    But in reality, only a quasi-free market exists, and so luck and circumstance do play a role, and in my experience of life, a fairly large one.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I scored 70 ...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The general trend seems for introverts to score lower and extroverts higher, for some strange reason. Perhaps there is an inverse relationship?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it makes perfect sense for higher scores to point toward introversion.

what's normality?
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These questions don't seem to be very well written.

Isn't one supposed to avoid terms like "always" and "never" in surveys like this? And when the difference of one question is 5 points?

I am somewhere between 70 and 85

Isn't this what people call "Attribution Theory" ? Which would also include the concepts of optimism/pessimism?
    Apollonian
    INTj
    "How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.” - Soren Kierkegaard
    “Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than a minority of them - never becoming conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?” - C. S. Lewis (INTJ)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian
    These questions don't seem to be very well written.

Isn't one supposed to avoid terms like "always" and "never" in surveys like this? And when the difference of one question is 5 points?
    lol Ti

lol Ne

Isn't this what people call "Attribution Theory" ? Which would also include the concepts of optimism/pessimism?
    I haven't heard of this theory, but I agree. I believe that it's my positive thinking that allows me the freedom to believe that luck is created. See my sig.
    SEE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    it makes perfect sense for higher scores to point toward introversion.
    Higher scores do point towards introversion and lower scores extroversion, but not always ... the age of a person and their experiences in life is also a factor in it, but not completely. It still coorelates to a certain degree.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored an 85.

Because someone who has an outer locus of control is influenced most by his or her enviroment and outside forces, whereas someone with an inner locus of control is primarily influenced by inward sources of control.
    So you believe that everyone that doesn't fit in this rather off-base schema is mystyped?

Or that everyone here is introvert?

Internal locus of control as measured by tests like this just measures the degree of fatalism and indipendence of a give person, period.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    lol Ne
    NO.

Isn't this what people call "Attribution Theory" ?
    No. Attribution theory deals with a posteriori judgements of event, not with decision-making.[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Attribution theory deals with a posteriori judgements of event, not with decision-making.
    Ah yes, I see the distinction. "Locus of Control" is an operational stage after attribution. For many people, however, there is little gap between the two. For some of my friends who have struggled with depression for example, the gap is unrecognizable to them. Their attribution of events seems to directly influence their thoughts and actions because they are not aware of the nature of their thoughts and actions.

In the reverse case, it is amazing the extent to which a person may avoid acting upon the attribution of events by using cognitive awareness. By understanding cognitive distortion and cognitive bias (not to mention socionics), one may see the link between environmental stimuli (attribution) and internal processing (control).

Am I correct, or is this my bias? :wink:
    Apollonian
    INTj
    "How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.” - Soren Kierkegaard
    “Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than a minority of them - never becoming conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?” - C. S. Lewis (INTJ)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored an 85.

So I'm the most introverted person here?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not see locus of control as introverted/extroverted dichotomy, but that what it really is: pushover/pigheaded dichotomy. I am pretty much a pushover...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored an 85.

So you believe that everyone that doesn't fit in this rather off-base schema is mystyped?

Or that everyone here is introvert?

Internal locus of control as measured by tests like this just measures the degree of fatalism and indipendence of a give person, period.
    Jung got the idea of "extroversion" and "introversion" from the idea of karma and feedback loops in the system of reincarnation, which is also where the idea of the "inner" and "outer" locus of control came from. So, if you want to attempt to argue that they are diffrent on account of some biased dictonomy that Jung did not make nor even possibly agrees with, go ahead. But, they are of the same system and of same origion and in that aspect the same eternal concept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast