Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: "cutting the pay of public sector execs may improve their quality"

  1. #1
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default "cutting the pay of public sector execs may improve their quality"

    http://marbury.typepad.com/marbury/2...r-quality.html Would be interested (as the blogger is) to read the whole of this report to find out the intricacies.

  2. #2
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    http://marbury.typepad.com/marbury/2...r-quality.html Would be interested (as the blogger is) to read the whole of this report to find out the intricacies.
    Well the same should work for private sector folks too. A cut in your pay should make you find happiness in your work too.

    In the US, Public sector folks make 22% less than private sector counterparts, and yet there is serious talk about freezing Federal pay. This at the same time we are giving tax breaks to rich folks.
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently the GOP is preparing this propaganda wave to get people on the side of whittling down government. This whole economic malaise thing is a plot to scale back government. Granted it's not a real conspiracy, just a series of local conspiracies that just so happen to be very similar from country to country. (blame radical positivism a.k.a. arrogance).

    But it is working. The debt is growing, states are cutting back, and services are degrading in quality. And just look what's going on in the U.K., exactly the same thing.

    I heard about the March of CEOs to the White House today... really fucking pathetic. That just goes to show you how much American markets are in the grip of the very wealthy.

    Obama has been a total disappointment. That'll be the last time I vote for an SLI for president... the very last.

    I'm not going to vote for Obama in 2012. I'll vote in other races, but if he gets a 2nd term it'll be by someone else's vote than mine.

    What I find most degrading about Obama is that he doesn't remember where he came from. He's president now, an elite among elites, a person transplanted onto a plane of existence, with other such people who you see everywhere, but don't really care about. Just a thing to think about, no genuine emotional connection... just a symbol of history, culture, whatever. The problem is that unlike Clinton, Obama does real damage by not standing up for what is right. Clinton drew a line in the sand... he never dropped taxes by the slightest smidgen. The economy boomed anyway like it never had before and hasn't since. 3.9% unemployment... an environment so tough for HR people that the chief of the labor dept. wrote a book about it.

    That's the thing... Obama won't stand for us. I mean sure he'll stand for his health bill that is gonna rapidly become irrelevant as premiums soar without regulation... but for the things that actually bring prosperity and improved living? No, because the Republicans are gangsters. Oh please, that's just defeatism.

    Instead he's gonna try to prosecute this guy who stood up for the entire freakin' world just because he took advantage of the U.S.'s stupidity to do it.

    Obama's a head case and a half, but I've never yet heard of an EM self-conflictor who isn't.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 12-16-2010 at 01:25 AM.

  4. #4
    without the nose Cyrano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Apparently the GOP is preparing this propaganda wave to get people on the side of whittling down government. This whole economic malaise thing is a plot to scale back government. Granted it's not a real conspiracy, just a series of local conspiracies that just so happen to be very similar from country to country. (blame radical positivism a.k.a. arrogance).

    But it is working. The debt is growing, states are cutting back, and services are degrading in quality. And just look what's going on in the U.K., exactly the same thing.

    I heard about the March of CEOs to the White House today... really fucking pathetic. That just goes to show you how much American markets are in the grip of the very wealthy.

    Obama has been a total disappointment. That'll be the last time I vote for an SLI for president... the very last.

    I'm not going to vote for Obama in 2012. I'll vote in other races, but if he gets a 2nd term it'll be by someone else's vote than mine.
    Ditto. And I'll change my type.
    ISTp
    SLI

    Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This type of strategy has been studied extensively for quite a long time. High-tech and software companies have implemented a variant around 5 years ago, starting with google. The complete idea, however, wouldn't be to just cut the salary - there should be a part of compensation which is transferred to something which gives intrinsic motivation. For example, you can offert a lower salary and more flexible hours if you want to hire someone that will be more likely to be loyal towards your company (generally, this attract people that are slightly less ambitious and more coscentious). Or you can offer a lower salary but give each employee one day a week devoted to "creative" projects, in order to attract people that have a slant for innovation (this was the strategy applied by Google). Such strategies can be created on the basis of each Big-5 facets of personality, by combining incentives that tend to attract people with a high (low) score in each facet.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Apparently the GOP is preparing this propaganda wave to get people on the side of whittling down government. This whole economic malaise thing is a plot to scale back government. Granted it's not a real conspiracy, just a series of local conspiracies that just so happen to be very similar from country to country. (blame radical positivism a.k.a. arrogance).

    But it is working. The debt is growing, states are cutting back, and services are degrading in quality. And just look what's going on in the U.K., exactly the same thing.
    While I don't really support the policy, the government in the UK is actually keeping the health budget at the same level at pre-2010 election levels. (I think it would be better for them to average the cuts across all areas).


    I agree with FDG that they should give people intrinsic benefits in exchange for cuts in salaries - even though it doesn't seem fair that people working for public bodies are seemingly paid less for work of the same quality to what people in the private sector are paid.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    http://marbury.typepad.com/marbury/2...r-quality.html Would be interested (as the blogger is) to read the whole of this report to find out the intricacies.
    I had been debating this very thing with someone on another forum. I can prove him wrong now with a little copy and pasting. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    While I don't really support the policy, the government in the UK is actually keeping the health budget at the same level at pre-2010 election levels. (I think it would be better for them to average the cuts across all areas).


    I agree with FDG that they should give people intrinsic benefits in exchange for cuts in salaries - even though it doesn't seem fair that people working for public bodies are seemingly paid less for work of the same quality to what people in the private sector are paid.
    Well the U.K.'s health system has become a symbol of national pride. The public sector jobs are a political football... until a vision appears of something "more radical" for the Left to aim for, the conservatives won't stick up for them because those people are just in the middle.

    It seems like the conservatives only stick up for something when some far left-wing agenda starts gaining steam to negatively reform something. Then the conservatives feel they have an enemy which justifies their expressing their real stances (and of course all of a sudden the extremist conservatives, many of them, also have sudden changes of heart so that they can put this new "madness" into perspective).

  9. #9
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think the health system here was more a symbol of national pride years ago...I would think people across the spectrum think it needs restructuring\modernising now, not just extremists.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I think the health system here was more a symbol of national pride years ago...I would think people across the spectrum think it needs restructuring\modernising now, not just extremists.
    How the hell do you modernize universal, free health care?

  11. #11
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    How the hell do you modernize universal, free health care?
    For example, removing much unnecessary administration, revolutionising what doctors can do, running each hospital like an independent business (rather than following a national agenda), and abolishing or renovating the prescription charge system that we have here.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    For example, removing much unnecessary administration, revolutionising what doctors can do, running each hospital like an independent business (rather than following a national agenda), and abolishing or renovating the prescription charge system that we have here.
    The independent business idea is what we have here in the states. Can't really argue one way or the other, because either model has strengths and weaknesses in about equal proportion.

    Actually the state model probably makes care better because it discourages people who can't abide by state interference from entering medicine. Those people more than likely would offer inferior care.

    Seems like SLI EMs are either involved in health or art. Nothing else stimulates them. Making it harder for SLI EMs to find enjoyable work does not make for good reform.

    The best system for lowering prescription drug prices is to allow generic drugs. Still I agree that people shouldn't have to pay for life-saving meds.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    For example, removing much unnecessary administration, revolutionising what doctors can do, running each hospital like an independent business (rather than following a national agenda), and abolishing or renovating the prescription charge system that we have here.
    I agree, the whole system needs to change. Both private and public. The problem with the way hospitals operate, is that there are too many divides. The surgeons are seen as gods, the doctors as saints and the nurses lick up to them both and down their noses at the cleaning staff. And then you have the admin and all the different levels of pay and status. It causes distrust and a them and us attitude. Which causes a serious lack in communication, which means compromised medical care for all.

    I think hospitals and any business for that matter should be run using socionics. That would mean that everyone on the team had a supervisor. Everyone would be answerable to someone. And how it goes around is beautiful. The one you supervise is the one who supervises your own superviser. No need for anyone to go on a power trip and fuck up the whole working environment. It's perfect. But the world hasn't established that socionics is a viable theory yet so that one will be a long way off.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    The independent business idea is what we have here in the states. Can't really argue one way or the other, because either model has strengths and weaknesses in about equal proportion.

    Actually the state model probably makes care better because it discourages people who can't abide by state interference from entering medicine. Those people more than likely would offer inferior care.

    Seems like SLI EMs are either involved in health or art. Nothing else stimulates them. Making it harder for SLI EMs to find enjoyable work does not make for good reform.

    The best system for lowering prescription drug prices is to allow generic drugs. Still I agree that people shouldn't have to pay for life-saving meds.
    I agree with that too, it's a crime that medicines have patents. I say give the money to the people who are passionate about finding cures. Give it to those who have an incessant need to mess around with theories and lab equipment. Give it to those who are driven by passion, let them try out all the theories they want. Don't give the money to some nine to five grafter with middle child syndrome who's trying desperately to prove she is better than she really is. She's not going to wake up in the middle of the night and break into the lab to test a new insight. She would in her fuck. How many gifted researchers and theoreticians are out there with great ideas who get absolutely no funding? I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that countless diseases would have been cured by now by people who are being thwarted by the current bullshit system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •