Thread: Accidents and the forgiveness thereof

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Accidents and the forgiveness thereof

Do different types have different reactions when someone makes an honest mistake?

Like, if someone is in a china shop and is handling a fine piece of dinnerware and, in returning it to its stand, accidentally drops it and it shatters all over the place, would different types react in different ways to that? And how would that reaction change if that person were honestly contrite about breaking it and made an attempt to pay for it?

One response I see to mistakes is to immediately assume the transgressor to be a moron. That the proper amount of care was not taken or the job was not given the proper amount of attention and, because of that, the person in question is somehow deficient. The sort of people that take this view tend to be rather self-appalled when they themselves make an error, tending to curse and beat themselves up and to say things like, "I don't do this. This never happens to me!"

The other response I see to mistakes is to just sort of brush it under the rug, so to speak. To say, "Don't worry about it, accidents happen." If this person makes a mistake, they tend to take a kind of, "Aw shucks" attitude to it, giving a heavy sigh before cleaning up and fixing things in silence.

My question, is thus: do either of these approaches sound like they match up to an existing socionics dichotomy? Or is this NTR?
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say yes, but generally this is a matter of relations to objects or subjects. As everyone has all functions/capabilities of the psyche, it is a matter of dominance of subjective or objective perception/judgment.

Also there are emotional attachments to said objects and subjects that may elicit unforgiving attitudes towards the offender.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say reasonable types are more reasonable and understanding types are more understanding, serious types are more serious, and decisive types are more decisive...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Since I'm a dramatic, narcissistic writer emo fag that wants to move the world all at once with the most pristine special piece of art imaginable that will move the entire world in one breath to a higher dimension without leaving anybody out.... I tend to cut myself a lot when I screw up.

Like Miley Cyrus does when she's not being perfect. Everything is a beautiful pristine prism out of a drag queen's ass- each thread a definite fiber from the heavens of precise complexity and sensitivity. Miss out on just one perception and the whole thing blows to bits because you summon the revenge of the group that you left behind.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    This.

Context of the situation is all important. How well one can perceive the context of the situation is also important.
    This.

Also, emotional health and well-being are big factors in situations like these.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh. Good to know. I asked because I noticed my dad, one of my friends, a co-worker, and a regular customer of mine all had exactly the same reaction to accidents made by complete strangers and by themselves. Namely, what I've described in number one.

I hadn't noticed them sharing any real defining personality traits other than this, so I wanted to know if it was an IM thing.
    4w5 sp/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, yes, that is a good feeling.

So really the people that do this kind of thing are in need of a few more hours of sleep and perhaps a good pick-me-up every now and again?
    4w5 sp/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just somewhat lacking in basic human empathy, eh? I often hope beyond hope that such tight-ass people will one day mouth off to the wrong busboy and find themselves the first (and, if there is justice in this world, only) casualty in the ensuing machine gun rampage.
    4w5 sp/sx

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No harm, no foul.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    This.

Context of the situation is all important. How well one can perceive the context of the situation is also important.
    Same
    There could also be other issues unrelated to the actual incident, like someone who is having a "bad day" or other underlying troubles they may spontaneously react to the situation by lashing out at bystanders.
    There's also instances where people lash out at someone who has been hurting them (not always intentionally) and similarly react randomly when that person slips-up.
    I've done the latter myself

I guess burying negative feelings will just lead them to bubbling over eventually, which I suppose happens to a lot of people who take an "aw shucks" approach to mishaps rather than dealing with them more honestly from the get go
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight
    Like, if someone is in a china shop and is handling a fine piece of dinnerware and, in returning it to its stand, accidentally drops it and it shatters all over the place, would different types react in different ways to that? And how would that reaction change if that person were honestly contrite about breaking it and made an attempt to pay for it?
    If the person does not act all defensive and try to pass the blame to someone/something else, it's cool. No big deal, no reason to worry. Otherwise, I might be tempted to tell 'em to shut the fuck up, ask them to pay and/or leave.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses everyone. Thinking on it, I'm glad this doesn't match up to any one Socionics dichotomy. The thought of so many millions of people doing this out of a subconscious typing thing would be a rather terrifying prospect.
    4w5 sp/sx

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I'd say types are more vindictive...although mistakes are mistakes and we are all humans. I think an ExxJ type would still get pissed from mishaps.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if I've studied this right, is largely in charge of measuring the psychological "distance" in relationships and so a type would be most inclined to make decisions based on that distance, right? I can see that making sense, if someone they are "far away" from, and therefore hostile to caused an accident they would give them an unpleasant treatment while people they are "closer" to would be forgiven and helped? Which does gel with aixelsyd's description of it...

But then, that also sounds like the kind of thing most people would do anyways, or no...

I guess I can see it with Ej's as well. There supposed to be very "in the moment" and moving a mile a minute, psychologically, right? I can see how that might cause that kind of problem, but wouldn't the same also be true for Ep or Ip types when they are "On?"
    4w5 sp/sx

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEIs, I find, are incapable of admitting fault for anything. They'll make up all kinds of wild excuses till they're caught.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov