Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WTF?

So all of a sudden Obama is killing free speech; invading peoples' privacy; putting up Big Brother television at Walmart; AND giving tax cuts to the rich to the tune of oh, 6%?

Did I just wake up in the Twilight Zone?

Creepy-bg

no. you just started waking up to the truth about the political process.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    no. you just started waking up to the truth about the political process.
    Eh it's not like Nancy Pelosi supports it. It's not that. It's just that Obama's White House has gone wacko.

Creepy-bg

i can feel your cynicism... let it grow tcaud. let it make you strong!

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is that?

Oh yeah the liberal consequentialism bit. Ha ha.

But it's very interesting what's going on. The Left (and the middle) is generally feeling mobilized by the injustice against Assange. That, and Obama is at a very low ebb after that stupid deal and his administration's crazed reaction to Wikileaks. The Democratic Party is ripe for its own "scare" the way Tea Party candidates usurped the seats of sitting leaders. If Assange is sitting in an American jail... imagine THAT chaos. People are already referring to his treatment as extraordinary rendition.

So there is a very strong possibility that socionics will be the ideology which fuels the next Left wave. Which was what I suspected would be necessary no matter what in our bid to get funding for socionics study in the states; prove the types via statistical comparisons and brain scans; etc. So yeah it should definitely be our intention to make D subtypes aware of socionics, so that it can be the base for the new western ideology which I actually think you would appreciate.

As for people in other countries... if you at what's going on in those cables, it's clear that the U.S. is involving itself in the affairs of just about every country in the world almost it. Particularly under the pretext of stopping al Qaeda and stopping nuclear proliferation (which is probably impossible anyway). So yeah the U.S. is using these fears, justified or not, to imperialize the entire world. That's what's actually happening, like as not. And if we don't do something, then we very well could all end up in a gigantic war dying by the millions.

Something that probably would not end. It would be catastrophic.

Granted we'll probably be too old to serve by that time (theoretically), but what about the youth? Our kids? Imagine Vietnam, but never ending.

I don't think there are a bunch of conspirators out there. Sure there are oligarchs which are gonna get a nasty dose of psychoanalysis in the next decade or so, when the IEI EMs break through en mass on their parade. But nothing really organized to enslave us all because an enslaving mentality doesn't work like that. First it actually has to get power and be psychotic/sociopathic.

Although you could well argue that Rupert Murdoch has enslaved us already! I mean, two of his talk show hosts dominate on not only his own channel, but also on both of his major competitors. How stupid is that?

And my god, I remember the airwaves were flooded with pro-Republican bias during the last election. That's gotta stop. By boycotts or something else, but it's gotta stop.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've tried to be really understanding about his decisions, or "compromises", by taking into account the unwillingness of the right to budge. It's just that the tax cuts for the top 2% was a really big deal to me. When he decided to extend those, the "hope" inside me died a little.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    all of a sudden
    lol@this

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not like this is really gonna affect the rich anyway one way or the other, they all pay AMT (except Warren Buffet who pays, like, 15% on cap gains). The only people top-bracket taxes affect are people making low six figures (most of whom are doctors and lawyers and deserve to get slammed anyway).
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once came upon an article about Boehner, where it was mentioned that he got into politics because he was making only 77 grand as a lawyer in the early 80s. He thought the taxes too high -- that as a lawyer he was "entitled to more" --, so he got involved in politics along with Newt Gingerich.

Nice to know our next Speaker has such honorable motives!

But there is also a little anti-Social Security sweetener in this deal: the payroll tax has been cut by 2%, so that EVERYBODY gets a genuine tax cut, even the super rich!

None of these are going to help people make jobs, of course. Still a few more years of this and foreign banks are probably going to stop investing in our bonds. It's been suggested that a number of states are in the red and a run on them becomes more likely by the day.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the tax percentage in the usa for the richest people?

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35% on income over $350,000 last I heard. A 6% cut means it's now 29%. However, most people with millionaire incomes have enough tax deductions that they're obligated to pay Alternative Minimum Tax, which is 26-28%, with a sole deduction of around $70,000.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

News Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Buffett
    "I'll bet a million dollars against any member of the Forbes 400 who challenges me that the average (federal tax rate including income and payroll taxes) for the Forbes 400 will be less than the average of their receptionists."

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd lose that bet. As I said, most of those people pay AMT even if their actual tax rate is actually lower than their receptionists' (it probably isn't, tax rates on middle-class people are actually very low in the US). In fact, if his own tax rates are actually lower than his PA's, chances are he's paying his PA handsomely well. The average PA makes about $30-40k a year, at which range they end up paying about 7% in income taxes if single, and under 4% if married.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, he hasn't lost that bet since he proposed it, and I'm quite sure it includes the AMT. All he's gotten is a bunch of billionaires bitching. While it's true that the issue is much more complicated, they're just confused as to whose really getting the short end of the stick. These Bush tax cuts also incorporated decreased taxes on capital gains and dividends and lowered the income threshold for eligibility for the AMT. The AMT is no longer targeting the people for which it was intended (also in part due to inflation).

As a side note, when I was getting paid about 50K a few years ago, my total income tax rate was over 16% even though I took 2 federal exemptions and ended up paying more in the end. Buffett said he paid 17.7%.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Buffet pays is cap gains, that's how he pays so little. The average millionaire pays 28%.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capital gains wasn't so low before GWB floored it.

The media is mostly unreliable now. It's really depressing. And for some reason the Left hasn't mobilized a suitable alternative. I'm tired of seeing progressive ideas get trashed on MSNBC. Keith Olbermann doesn't make up for it.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imho capital gains taxes shouldn't exist at all. All they do is encourage stock buybacks (which in fairness should just be outlawed, but still...)

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post

i can feel your cynicism... let it grow tcaud. let it make you strong!
    +10

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    imho capital gains taxes shouldn't exist at all.
    yes. in fact, all taxation ought to be abolished. taxes, fees, fines, tariffs, and licensure are extortion.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lulz.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    imho capital gains taxes shouldn't exist at all. All they do is encourage stock buybacks (which in fairness should just be outlawed, but still...)
    It makes sense to me that, as shareholders essentially own a percentage of the company, the company should be able to give those shareholders their percentage (leaving them with 100% ownership of a fair share of cash and zero ownership of the remainder). Of course this would be easily abused if the shareholder didn't have to consent to it.

Or is a buyback different from this? (I learned what I know about buybacks from Railroad Tycoon.)

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    It makes sense to me that, as shareholders essentially own a percentage of the company, the company should be able to give those shareholders their percentage (leaving them with 100% ownership of a fair share of cash and zero ownership of the remainder). Of course this would be easily abused if the shareholder didn't have to consent to it.

Or is a buyback different from this? (I learned what I know about buybacks from Railroad Tycoon.)
    Are buybacks being used to defraud Uncle Sam, now?